Far Side of the Moon (film)
Far Side of the Moon (French: La Face cachée de la lune) is a Canadian drama film, directed by Robert Lepage and released in 2003. The film is based on Lepage's eponymous play, which premiered in 2000.
|Far Side of the Moon|
|Directed by||Robert Lepage|
|Produced by||Bob Krupinski|
|Written by||Robert Lepage|
|Music by||Benoît Jutras|
|Edited by||Philippe Gagnon|
|Distributed by||TLA Releasing|
Set in the context of the USSR-United States Space Race of the 1960s, the film centres on two brothers, both played by Lepage, who are struggling to cope with the recent death by suicide of their mother (Anne-Marie Cadieux). Philippe, the older brother, is a doctoral student in astronomy who buries his feelings in his academic pursuits, while André, the younger brother, is a gay television weatherman who has always had a happier and easier path through life but finds himself struggling.
The film received four Genie Award nominations at the 24th Genie Awards in 2004: Best Picture (Bob Krupinski and Mario St-Laurent), Best Director (Lepage), Best Actor (Lepage) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Lepage). Lepage won the award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
- Robert Lepage - Philippe / André
- Anne-Marie Cadieux - La mère
- Marco Poulin - Carl
- Céline Bonnier - Nathalie
- Fabrice Mongeau - Philippe at age 15
- Raphaël Dury - Philippe at age 7
- Étienne Bouchard-Dauphin - André at age 8
- Gregory Hlady - Interpreter
- Yves Amyot - Bartender
- Richard Fréchette - Doctor
- Érika Gagnon - Philippe's Supervisor
- Sergei Priselkov - Alexei Leonov (as Sergei Prisselkov)
- Sophie Faucher - Presenter
- Lorraine Côté - Marie-Madeleine Bonsecours
- Oleg Belkin - Bodyguard
- Sylvain Massé - Security Guard
- Myriam LeBlanc - Hotel receptionist
- Olivier Bolvin St-Jean - Nathalie as a child
- Véronique Aubut - Nurse
- Alexandre Sadeisky - Concierge
- Agnieszka Baran - Stewardess
- Brigitte Bilodeau - Cosmetician
- "From far side to big screen". Montreal Gazette, October 9, 2003.
- "The Far Side of the Moon". EX MACHINA. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Robert Lepage's new film is about mom's death". Peterborough Examiner, September 6, 2003.
- "Earth weary guy lost in space a Lepage probe of narcissism". Toronto Star, May 7, 2004.
- "Genie smitten by Quebec's grand seduction; La belle province leads nominations 'Canadian Oscars' awarded May 1". Toronto Star, March 17, 2004.
- "Genies are invaded by Denys Arcand". Hamilton Spectator, May 3, 2004.
- "Telefilm picks Robert Lepage's Far Side of the Moon as Oscar foreign film nod". The Telegram, September 10, 2004.