Fall Be Kind
Fall Be Kind is the fourth EP by Animal Collective, released digitally in MP3 and WAV formats on November 23, 2009, and as both a CD and LP in the UK on December 14, 2009, and in the US on December 15, 2009. Some stores in Australia and New Zealand began selling it more than a week earlier, due to the band's touring presence there at the time.
|Fall Be Kind|
|EP by Animal Collective|
|Released||November 23, 2009 (digital download), December 15, 2009 (CD, LP)|
|Recorded||February 2008, August 2009; Sweet Tea, Oxford, MS; Mission Sound, Brooklyn, NY|
|Producer||Ben H. Allen|
|Animal Collective chronology|
On November 18, 2009, Domino Records accidentally sent pre-ordered CDs of Fall Be Kind to customers before the actual release date, resulting in a lossless digital version leaking, in its entirety, onto the internet.
Recorded by Ben Allen at Sweet Tea in Oxford, MS in February 2008, and at Mission Sound in Brooklyn, NY August 2009, Fall Be Kind includes recent live favorites "Graze" and "What Would I Want? Sky" (featuring the first ever licensed Grateful Dead sample). The cover depicts a statue photographed through a brown paper bag attached to the camera lenses.
|Drowned In Sound||(8/10)|
|Tiny Mix Tapes|||
Fall Be Kind was met with generally favorable reviews by critics. At Metacritic the album received an average score of 84, based on 21 reviews, which indicates "universal acclaim". Lewis P. from Sputnikmusic claimed "it had the impossible task of following up one of the most hyped albums of this decade and yet it barely breaks a sweat." He went on to give a perfect rating.
|1.||"Graze"||"Ardeleana (Zamfir Avec Zamfir)" by Gheorghe Zamfir||5:22|
|2.||"What Would I Want? Sky"||"Unbroken Chain" by Grateful Dead||6:46|
|4.||"On a Highway"||4:36|
|5.||"I Think I Can"||7:10|
- Phillips, Amy (July 17, 2009). "Animal Collective License First Legal Grateful Dead Sample Ever". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved December 3, 2009.
- Bush, John. "Review: Fall Be Kind". Allmusic. Retrieved December 23, 2009.
- Lukowski, Andrzej. "Review: Fall Be Kind". Drowned In Sound. Retrieved December 23, 2009.
- Richardson, Mark. ""Pitchfork Media" Review". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved November 25, 2009.
- Rosen, Jody. "Fall Be Kind EP: Animal Collective: Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 23, 2009.
- Purdum, Grant. "Review: Fall Be Kind". Tiny Mix Tapes. Archived from the original on December 12, 2009. Retrieved December 23, 2009.
- Lewis P. (23 November 2009). "Review: Fall Be Kind". Sputnik Music. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Fall Be Kind [EP] Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Image from album