Faculty of Economics & Business, University of Zagreb
Faculty of Economics & Business, University of Zagreb (Croatian: Ekonomski fakultet Sveučilišta u Zagrebu; Ekonomski fakultet - Zagreb) is a public-owned faculty (business school) among 31 faculties and 3 art academies that together form one of the oldest public universities in Southeast Europe, the University of Zagreb.
|Type||Public business school|
|University of Zagreb|
The Faculty of Economics & Business started in 1920, when the College of Commerce and Transport was founded. The name Faculty of Economics and Business was given in 1947. Throughout history, the locations and names of the Faculty have been changed.
Faculty of Economics & Business holds two international accreditations - EPAS accreditation for University Bachelor Degree study program in Business, and AACSB Business accreditation.
Faculty of Economics & Business is the first faculty within the University of Zagreb to have a Certificate of quality management system according to the international standard ISO 9001: 2015.
Faculty of Economics & Business was founded on June 17, 1920, as Higher School of Commerce and Transport with the mission of providing education in the areas of banking, home and international trade, transport, consular service, and insurance. The program lasted three years. In the academic year 1923/24 it had 1,125 students. In 1925, by the efforts of the then Minister of Education Stjepan Radić, it grew into the Higher School of Economics and Commerce with legal standing of the university faculty school. The program was extended to four years, while the school also gained authorization to conduct the nostrification processes for doctorates in economic and commercial studies. In 1947, it was transformed into the Faculty of Economics and in 1968 merged with School of Business (founded in 1956; offered a two-year program with a curriculum adjusted to the needs of the working students) into the Faculty of Economic Sciences, which was then in 1982 merged with the Faculty of Foreign Trade into the present-day Faculty of Economics.
Faculty of Economics & Business is divided into 17 academic departments: Demography, Economic Theory, Business Economics, Informatics, Finance, Macroeconomics and Economic Development, Marketing, Mathematics, International Economics, Organisation and Management, Law, Accounting, Statistics, Trade and International Business, Tourism, Business Languages, and Physical Education.
Beside academic departments, Faculty has 11 organisational units for administrative and technical staff.
The Management Board of the Faculty of Economics & Business has five members:
- Prof. Jurica Pavičić, PhD., Dean
- Prof. Oliver Kesar, PhD., Vice Dean for Faculty
- Assoc. Prof. Sanja Sever Mališ, PhD., Vice Dean for Strategic Partnerships and Projects
- Assoc. Prof. Božidar Jaković, PhD., Vice Dean for Education and Students
The Faculty offers following degree programs:
Thought in Croatian:
- University Integrated bachelor and master degree in Business study program (5-years; 300 ECTS)
- University Integrated bachelor and master degree in Economics study program (5-years; 300 ECTS)
- University degree Specialist postgraduate study program in various fields of Business and Economics (1-year or 1.5-year; 60 or 90 ECTS)
- University Doctor's degree study program in Economics and Business (3-years; 180 ECTS)
- University Doctor's degree study program in Economics and Global Security (3-years; 180 ECTS)
- Professional undergraduate study program in Business with majors: Accounting and Finance, Tourism Business Operations, and Commerce Business operations (3-years; 180 ECTS)
- Professional graduate study program in Economics of Entrepreneurship, Economics of Energy and Environment, E-business in Private and Public Sector, Management and Marketing of Retail, and Digital Marketing (2-years; 120 ECTS)
Thought in English:
- University Bachelor Degree in Business study program (4-years; 240 ECTS)
- University Master Degree in Business study program with majors: Managerial Informatics, Management, and Trade and International Business (1-year; 60 ECTS)
- University Bachelor Degree in Economics study program (4-years; 240 ECTS)
- University Master Degree in Economics study program (1-year; 60 ECTS)
Between 1920 and 2019, more than 85,000 students graduated from the Faculty.
Faculty of Economics & Business has intensive publishing activity, whether it is for the publication of journals, conference proceedings or textbooks for teaching purposes in Croatia and the surrounding area. In recent years, the number of publications published by the Faculty has been increasing. The Faculty publishes several internationally recognized scientific journals:
- Acta Turistica (indexed in WoS, Scopus and other databases)
- INTEREULAWEA§T (indexed in SCOPUS and other databases)
- Business Excellence (indexed by EconLit and other databases)
- Market (indexed in WoS, Scopus and other bases)
- Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business (ZIREB) (indexed by WoS and other databases)
- Proceedings of the Faculty of Economics and Business in Zagreb (indexed by EconLit and other databases)
In 2006, the Faculty developed a 4-year University Bachelor Degree in Business (BDiB) study program, for Croatian as well as international students. In order to reach better position in the Southeast Europe, in 2008, a strategic decision was made to accredit the study program in English with the international European Program Accreditation System (EPAS) The school obtained accreditation on February 9, 2011, as well as two re-accreditations: February 19, 2014 and February 15, 2017.
AACSB Business Accreditation
AACSB International is an American nonprofit organization based in Tampa, USA, whose primary role is the evaluation of higher education institutions in the areas of economics and business economics. The Faculty of Economics & Business was accredited by the AACSB in July 2019.
Facilities and student lifeEdit
Faculty of Economics & Business is located at the John F. Kennedy Square in Zagreb. Its building become operational in academic year 1952/1953. With a renovation in 1987. Additionally, the Faculty also has facilities in Varaždin, Koprivnica and Bjelovar. Since November 2011, classes for the associate degree programs have been held in the new facility within the Scientific and University Campus Borongaj. The Faculty has 52 lecture halls with 4,021 seats, two teleconference halls, a library, sports facilities, and cafeteria.
With more than 10,000 students, it is by far the Facility in the country. The Statute of the Faculty gives students the right to set up professional, sports and other non-political and non-profit clubs and student organizations. Currently, there are 12 active students associations registered with the Faculty. In addition, Faculty publishes 7professional magazines.
- Nova matica, Volume 42, page 52
- Sveučilišni vjesnik, Volumes 25-26, Sveučilište u Zagrebu, 1979 Page 398
- d.o.o, Globaldizajn. "Povijest". www.efzg.hr.
- Šidak, Jaroslav Spomeica u povodu proslave 300-godišnjice Sveučilišta u Zagrebu, Sveučilište u Zagrebu, 1969, p. 27
- d.o.o, Globaldizajn. "Katedre". www.efzg.hr.
- d.o.o, Globaldizajn. "Studiji". www.efzg.hr.
- Gelenčir, Martina (November 30, 2017). "Najveći i jedan od najpopularnijih zagrebačkih fakulteta ovaj petak slavi 97. rođendan".
- Božić, Ivan (January 21, 2013). "Deset najvećih hrvatskih fakulteta po broju studenata".
- d.o.o, Globaldizajn. "Studentske udruge". www.efzg.hr.