External Security Organisation
The External Security Organisation (ESO) is a government agency, mandated to collect, analyse and process information related to external security threats with the objective of informing national policy makers in Uganda. Its headquarters are located in a three-story office building that the agency owns on Hannington Road, on Nakasero Hill, in Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.
|Jurisdiction||Government of Uganda|
|Headquarters||Hannington Road, Nakasero|
|Parent agency||Uganda Ministry of Security|
ESO was established by an Act of Parliament, the Security Organisations Act 1987. The agency focuses on the assessment of external security threats to Uganda. In the 2014/2015 financial year, the agency was allocated a budget of UGX:14 billion. Sometimes ESO's activities overlap with those of other government spy agencies, including the Internal Security Organisation and the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence.
The Director-general serves as the chief executive of the government agency. She or he is appointed by the President of Uganda and reports directly to the president and to any other person or entity approved by the president. The Director-general has directors under her/his supervision, who report directly to her/him. The current director-general is Joseph Ocwet, a former career diplomat.
- Etukuri, Charles (11 June 2015). "Museveni Appoints New ESO Boss". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Obore, Chris (15 August 2010). "The politics haunting sacking of a spy chief". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Parliament of Uganda (13 November 1987). "Security Organisations Act 1987". Kampala: Uganda Legal Information Institute (ULII). Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Mujuni, Raymond (10 July 2016). "ESO to Get More Funding". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Butagira, Tabu (15 July 2013). "Museveni wants spy agencies overhauled". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Musisi, Frederic (22 November 2015). "Uganda: Top ESO Chiefs Fired in New Power Row". Daily Monitor via AllAfrica.com. Kampala. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Kasasira, Risdel (16 June 2015). "New intelligence boss assumes office". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 17 August 2016.