Eva (1962 film)
Eva, released in the United Kingdom as Eve, is a 1962 Italian-French co-production drama film directed by Joseph Losey and starring Jeanne Moreau, Stanley Baker and Virna Lisi. Its screenplay is adapted from James Hadley Chase's 1945 novel Eve.
Original film poster
|Directed by||Joseph Losey|
|Produced by||Raymond Hakim|
|Screenplay by||Hugo Butler|
by James Hadley Chase
|Music by||Michel Legrand|
|Cinematography||Gianni Di Venanzo|
|Edited by||Reginald Beck|
|Distributed by||Times Film Corporation|
A raw Welsh novelist in Venice is humiliated by a money-loving Frenchwoman who erotically ensnares him.
- Jeanne Moreau: Eva Olivier
- Virna Lisi: Francesca Ferrari
- Stanley Baker: Tyvian Jones
- James Villiers: Alan McCormick
- Lisa Gastoni: The red-headed Russian
- Riccardo Garrone: Michele
- Checco Rissone: Pieri
- Enzo Fiermonte: Enzo
- Giorgio Albertazzi: Branco Malloni
- Peggy Guggenheim: Baccarat player at casino
Losey said he never would have normally chosen to make a film out of Chase's novel "but I made the film mine more than anything I have ever done."
Losey said later the producers made cuts without his permission and the film was a disappointment to him.
The New York Times concluded "Mr. Losey said the producer ruined it by cutting. The rejoinder is: He didn't cut it enough"; while in a similarly unfavourable review, Dennis Schwartz opined "The story itself is the film’s main problem, because it is so unsettling and perverse. It never lets in any sunlight"; however Derek Winnert noted "Losey’s dark thriller is really rather effective and underrated, and the actors are spot on in tailor-made roles."
- Geoffrey Nowell-Smith. Making Waves, Revised and Expanded: New Cinemas of the 1960s. A&C Black, 2013. ISBN 1623566916.
- FILM CRAFT: Joseph Losey talks to Peter Lennon The Guardian (1959-2003); London (UK) [London (UK)]09 July 1962: 5.
- EXPATRIATE RETRACES HIS STEPS: Joseph Losey Changes Direction With His British 'Servant' By EUGENE ARCHER. New York Times (1923-Current file); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]15 Mar 1964: X9.
- Crowther, Bosley (June 5, 1965). "The Screen: Jeanne Moreau as Eva:Romantic Drama Opens at Little Carnegie" – via NYTimes.com.
- "EVA – Dennis Schwartz Reviews".
- "Eva **** (1962, Stanley Baker, Jeanne Moreau, Virna Lisi, James Villiers, Lisa Gastoni) – Classic Movie Review 3999". July 11, 2016.
|This 1960s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|