Euronest Parliamentary Assembly
The Euronest Parliamentary Assembly is the inter-parliamentary forum in which members of the European Parliament and the national parliaments of Ukraine, Moldova, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia participate and forge closer political and economic ties with the European Union. It was established in 2011 by the European Commission as a component of the Eastern Partnership. After the elections in Belarus in 2010 were declared as flawed by the OSCE, the membership of Belarus in Euronest was automatically suspended. Belarus is welcome to re-join the Assembly once political requirements have been fulfilled. In 2015, Azerbaijan's membership was suspended due to the European Union's criticism of human rights abuses by the government. In September 2016, it was announced that Azerbaijan would take the necessary steps towards restoring ties. As of 2017, the combined population of Euronest members (excluding Belarus and European Parliament members) stands at 61, 927, 521 people.
European Union member states Non-EU members Suspended members
|Type||Economic and political cooperation organization|
|5 plus 28 European Parliament members|
The Euronest PA meets once a year, alternately in an Eastern European Partner country and in one of the European Parliament places of work (Brussels, Luxembourg or Strasbourg):
Members of Euronest have been regarded as belonging to the "European family". All members are part of the European Neighbourhood Policy and each maintain various degrees of integration with the EU. Some members of Euronest such as Ukraine and Georgia are actively seeking eventual EU membership and wish to forge closer ties with the EU. Other states such as Armenia and Moldova cooperate with both the European Union and the Russian-led Eurasian Union. While Azerbaijan and Belarus have been questioned about their European perspectives due to human rights abuses and lack of freedom of speech.
- Armenia–European Union relations
- Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations
- Community of Democratic Choice
- Council of Europe
- Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area
- Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly - Euronest counterpart for the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership of the ENP
- Eastern Europe
- Eastern European Group
- Eastern Partnership
- European integration
- Future enlargement of the European Union
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
- Politics of Europe
- Post-Soviet states
- "Members". EuroNest Parliamentary Assembly
- "Initial Agreement Reached To Establish Parliamentary Assembly Of European Parliament's Eastern Neighbors". Archived from the original on 2011-06-15.
- European Parliament decision of 6 May 2009 on the number of interparliamentary delegations, delegations to joint parliamentary committees, delegations to parliamentary cooperation committees and multilateral Parliamentary Assemblies
- "Initial Agreement Reached To Establish Parliamentary Assembly Of European Parliament's Eastern Neighbors". Archived from the original on 2015-06-16. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "EU Azer".
- Euronest Parliamentary Assembly web site
- Delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly (European Parliament)
- Delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly[permanent dead link] (ALDE Group)
- Video: Euronest - how it works (EuroparlTV)
|This article about the European Union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|