|Milwaukee Brewers – No. 74|
|Born: February 14, 1997|
As a freshman at Mississippi State in 2016, Small pitched only ten innings. After the season, he played collegiate summer baseball with the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod Baseball League. After his freshman campaign, he underwent Tommy John surgery and missed all of 2017. He returned as a redshirt sophomore in 2018, starting 18 games, going 5-4 with a 3.20 ERA. In 2019, Small went 10-2 with a 1.93 ERA in 18 starts, striking out 176 batters in 107 innings, and was named the SEC Pitcher of the Year. He won the 2019 National Pitcher of the Year Award. He was a unanimous first team All American selection by all 7 reporting agencies. Small features a lively low- to mid-90 mph fastball - scouts often described it as a “rising” fastball - a curveball and changeup. Small has been known to vary his windup timing on his pitches, to give him an advantage over hitters, similar to pitchers such as Marcus Stroman and Johnny Cueto.
Small was drafted with 28th overall pick by the Milwaukee Brewers in the first round of the 2019 Major League Baseball draft. He signed for $2 million.  He made his professional debut with the Arizona League Brewers, and, after two games, was promoted to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Over seven starts between the two teams, he went 0-2 with a 0.86 ERA, striking out 36 over 21 innings.
- "Small isn't affected by Major League scouts at his games". The Jackson Sun.
- "Ethan Small - Profile". pointstreak.com. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "Thriving after Tommy John, Ethan Small gives Mississippi State hope now and in future". The Clarion Ledger.
- Lowery, Logan. "Healthy arms bolster Bulldogs' pitching staff". Daily Journal.
- Lowery, Logan. "Bulldogs open new stadium, Lemonis era today". Daily Journal.
- [dead link]
- "Ethan Small named SEC pitcher of the Year". The Commercial Dispatch.
- "How Mississippi State's Ethan Small earned SEC Pitcher of the Week". The Clarion Ledger.
- Lowery, Logan (June 12, 2019). "Small selected National Pitcher of the Year | Sports". djournal.com. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- Murray, Robert. "'This guy is the best pitcher out there': Behind the Brewers' scouting process of Ethan Small". The Athletic. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Friedman, Rob (May 24, 2019). "Ethan Small, 4 Windups (quick pitch, regular, pause and long pause), Overlay.pic.twitter.com/SMD8RJx3dx". @PitchingNinja. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Wagner, Andrew. "Patience pays off: Brewers pick left-hander Ethan Small in first-round after lengthy scouting process". madison.com.
- "Brewers take Small in first round of MLB draft". The Commercial Dispatch.
- "The Brewers see their top pick, Mississippi State left-hander Ethan Small, as 'the consummate pitcher'". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|