Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
|Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
|Reign||16 September 1764 – |
8 September 1800
|Born||8 March 1724|
Saalfeld, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||8 September 1800 (aged 76)|
Coburg, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Holy Roman Empire
|Spouse||Sophia Antonia of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel|
Prince Karl Wilhelm
Prince Ludwig Karl
Prince Ferdinand August
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Francis Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
|Mother||Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt|
Ernest Frederick succeeded his father in the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld when he died in 1764 and established his definitive residence shifted in Coburg. Because of the high indebtedness of the duchy he was compelled by Emperor Joseph II in 1773 to work with a Debit commission—an obligatory administration of debts assigned by the emperor—for over thirty years.
- Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (b. Coburg 15 July 1750 – d. Coburg, 9 December 1806), father of Leopold I of Belgium and grandfather of Leopold II, Empress Carlota of Mexico, Queen Victoria of Great Britain, and her husband Prince Albert.
- Karl Wilhelm Ferdinand (b. Coburg, 21 November 1751 – d. Coburg, 16 February 1757).
- Fredericka Juliane (b. Coburg, 14 September 1752 – d. Coburg, 24 September 1752).
- Caroline Ulrike Amalie (b. Coburg, 19 October 1753 – d. Coburg, 1 October 1829), a nun at Gandersheim.
- Ludwig Karl Frederick (b. Coburg, 2 January 1755 – d. Coburg, 4 May 1806); he had an illegitimate son by some Mademoiselle Brutel de la Riviére: Ludwig Frederick Emil of Coburg (b. Hildburghausen, 1779 - d. Coburg, 1827). In turn, the five children of Ludwig Frederick were created Freiherren von Coburg. His descendants still alive.
- Ferdinand August Heinrich (b. Coburg, 12 April 1756 – d. Coburg, 8 July 1758).
- Frederick (b. Coburg, 4 March 1758 – d. Coburg, 26 June 1758).
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 107.
- August Beck: Ernst Friedrich, Herzog zu Sachsen-Koburg-Saalfeld. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 6, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1877, S. 317.
- Das herzogliche Haus Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha: Seine Geschichte und gegenwärtige Stellung in Europa, C. Macklot, 1842, S. 236 (Digitalisat)
Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-SaalfeldBorn: 8 March 1724 Died: 8 September 1800
| Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld