Eric A. Kimmel (born 1946) is an American author of more than 50 children's books. His works include Caldecott Honor Book Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins (illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman), Sydney Taylor Book Award winners The Chanukkah Guest and Gershon's Monster, and Simon and the Bear: A Hanukkah Tale.
Eric A. Kimmel
|Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins|
Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, New York and earned a bachelor's degree in English literature from Lafayette College in 1967, a master's degree from New York University, and a PhD in Education from the University of Illinois in 1973. He taught at Indiana University at South Bend, and at Portland State University, where he is Professor Emeritus of Education.
- 2004: National Jewish Book Award for Wonders and Miracles: A Passover Companion
- 2008: National Jewish Book Award in the Illustrated Children's Book category for The Mysterious Guests: A Sukkot Story. Illustration by Katya Krenina
- 2011: National Jewish Book Award in the Illustrated Children's Book category for The Golem's Latkes Illustration by Aaron Jasinski
- 2013: National Jewish Book Award in the Illustrated Children's Book category for Hanukkah Bear Illustration by Mike Wohnoutka
- "Passover companion book a treasure for the seder-bound", jweekly.com; accessed December 12, 2014.
- "Children's Book Medals Awarded". The New York Times. January 10, 1990. p. 17. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- Shannon Maughan (November 6, 2014). "A Haunting Anniversary: 'Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins' Turns 25". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on March 15, 2016. Retrieved February 26, 2016.
- Ingall, Marjorie (2014-12-05). "Eric A. Kimmel's 'Simon and the Bear,' and More". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- Eric Kimmel profile, ericakimmel.com; accessed December 12, 2014.
- "Past Winners". Jewish Book Council. Retrieved 2020-01-18.
- "Past Winners". Jewish Book Council. Retrieved 2020-01-21.