Erechtites hieraciifolius (fireweed, American burnweed, or pilewort) is a plant in the daisy family, Asteraceae. It is native to the Americas, but is found many places around the world having been introduced by human activity. It is introduced in Hawaii, China, and Southeast Asia.
|Photo taken in Tokyo, Japan|
Erechtites hieraciifolius is an annual herb with alternate, simple leaves, on thick, green stems. The leaves are serrated, and range from unlobed to deeply lobed, with the lobe pattern superficially resembling wild lettuces, which are in the same family but not closely related. When crushed, all parts of the species are aromatic. The flower heads are yellow or pink, borne in fall. The heads are followed by cluster of small, wispy achenes. The plant often branches and grows in a clump with multiple stems.
This species benefits from fire, and is often one of the earliest pioneer species of areas that have recently burned, hence some of its common names. It prefers moist sites but can handle gravelly soil and some degree of dry conditions. It also grows well in urban areas and around humans.
- Erechtites hieraciifolius var. cacalioides (Fisch. ex Spreng.) Less. ex Griseb. - Mexico, Central America, West Indies, South America
- Erechtites hieraciifolius var. hieraciifolius - North America, West Indies
- Erechtites hieraciifolius var. megalocarpus (Fernald) Cronquist - northeastern United States from Massachusetts to New Jersey
- International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (Melbourne Code) see sections 60C.1 and 60G.1
- The Plant List, Erechtites hieraciifolius (L.) Raf. ex DC.
- "Erechtites hieraciifolius (Linnaeus) Rafinesque ex de Candolle". Flora of North America.
- "Erechtites hieraciifolius (L.) Raf. ex DC". Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk (PIER).
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Profile for Erechtites hieraciifolia
- Flora of China, 梁子菜 liang zi cai, Erechtites hieraciifolius (Linnaeus) Rafinesque ex Candolle
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Profile
- photo of herbarium specimen at Missouri Botanical Garden, collected in Brazil in 1964
- photo of herbarium specimen at Missouri Botanical Garden, collected in Peru in 1986
- photo taken by Gerrit Davidse, showing one specimen of Homo sapiens beside one specimen of Erechtites hieraciifolius
Media related to Erechtites hieraciifolia at Wikimedia Commons