Epsom Hospital is a hospital in Epsom, Surrey, England. The hospital is situated on Dorking Road 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) south east of the centre of Epsom. It is managed by the Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust along with the nearby St Helier Hospital.
|Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust|
|Location||Dorking Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7EG, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Type||District General Hospital|
|Affiliated university||St George's, University of London|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident and Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital has it origins in a cottage hospital which opened with just eight beds in 1873. The current building opened as a workhouse infirmary in 1890. It was staffed by volunteers until it joined the National Health Service in 1948.
In 2011, it was revealed that the hospital was at risk of losing its accident and emergency services as part of a Better Services Better Value (BSBV) programme, which would rationalise hospital facilities across Surrey and south west London. In 2013, local MP Chris Grayling said that constituents should show their support for retaining these services at the hospital.
Epsom Hospital was in the news in August 2018 after a stray cat was found in a linen basket.
The hospital contains an accident and emergency and a range of diagnostic and supporting services including pathology, radiology (including CT, MRI and ultrasound), the South West Elective Orthopaedic Centre (SWLEOC) which calls itself a "centre of excellence", vascular diagnostic services and an acute psychiatric facility operated by Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
The hospital has its own radio service, "Epsom Hospital Radio", which is a registered charity and is staffed by volunteers. Since 1979, its mascot has been Ruddles The Bear, which was named after a competition in the Epsom Guardian. The hospital is also supported by a charity, the Friends of Epsom and West Park Hospitals.
- "Our story". Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "Epsom". Workhouses. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- Mole, Charlie (17 February 2011). "Join our campaign to protect Epsom Hospital". Epsom Guardian. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Show feeling' on Epsom Hospital, urges Surrey MP". BBC News. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Stray cat causes infection scare at Epsom Hospital". BBC. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "The EOC". South West Elective Orthopaedic Centre. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Epsom Hospital". Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Local Charities". Whatsoninepsom.com. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Ruddles The Bear". Epsom Hospital Radio. Retrieved 21 October 2013.