Epidemic (video game)
Epidemic, known as Kileak: The Blood 2: Reason in Madness[a] in Japan, is a first person shooter video game developed by Genki for the PlayStation console. It is a sequel to Kileak: The DNA Imperative.
North American cover art
Epidemic is a first-person shooter. Like its predecessor, the gameplay in Epidemic focuses on traversing corridor-like environments, destroying enemy robots and finding key cards to reach inaccessible areas.
Development and releaseEdit
The game was developed by a Japanese video game company Genki and published by Sony Music Entertainment Japan for the PlayStation, as a sequel to Kileak: The DNA Imperative. The game's soundtrack was composed by Kimitaka Matsumae. A soundtrack album, Kileak: The Blood – Sound Tracks & Remix[b], was released by Sony Music on March 21, 1996. It includes remixes of the game's tracks, along with those from the first Kileak game which Matsumae also composed.
It was initially released on December 29, 1995, in Japan as Kileak: The Blood 2: Reason in Madness. This was followed by its North America release in October 1996 by Sony Computer Entertainment. Epidemic, alongside its predecessor, was released in Japan by Clarice Games on September 16, 2015, under the PlayStation Network's "Game Archives" category.
Next Generation reviewed the PlayStation version of the game, rating it two stars out of five, and stated that "Even after all the improvements, however, Kileak 2 is still an average Doom-clone that offers nothing new to the genre."
BRAHMA Force: The Assault on Beltogger 9, though not bearing the Kileak name in any of the regions in which it was released, uses the same mecha-based first person shooting format and was announced by Genki as an official follow-up to the Kileak series.
- Genki (1996). Epidemic. PlayStation. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Scene: Credits.
- "Finals". Next Generation. No. 16. Imagine Media. April 1996. p. 84.
- "Epidemic - Overview". AllGame. All Media Network. Archived from the original on November 14, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "Game History" (in Japanese). Genki. Archived from the original on January 24, 1998. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- KILEAK,THE BLOOD サウンドトラック＆リミックス (in Japanese). Sony Music Entertainment Japan. Archived from the original on May 1, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- キリーク・ザ・ブラッド2 まとめ [PS]. Famitsu (in Japanese). Kadokawa Corporation. Archived from the original on April 16, 2015. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "Epidemic: There's an Epidemic on the Way". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 88. Ziff Davis. November 1996. pp. 248–9.
- 「クーロンズ・ゲート」「キリーク・ザ・ブラッド」「キリーク・ザ・ブラッド2」がPSゲームアーカイブスとして配信開始. 4Gamer.net (in Japanese). Aetas Inc. September 16, 2015. Archived from the original on December 2, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "New Software Prolific at PlayStation Expo". Next Generation. No. 18. Imagine Media. June 1996. p. 20.