The Eparchy of Košice is a Slovak Greek Catholic Church ecclesiastical territory or eparchy of the Catholic Church covering the territory of the Košice Region in Slovakia. It is suffragan eparchy in the ecclesiastical province of the metropolitan Archeparchy of Prešov. It was established on 30 January 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI from the territory of the apostolic exarchate created previously (on 21 February 1997) by his predecessor John Paul II.
Eparchy of Košice
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2013)|
|Sui iuris church||Slovak Greek Catholic Church|
|Established||30 January 2008 (21 February 1997 - Exarchate)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God in Košice|
|Patron saint||Saints Cyril and Methodius|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Ján Babjak|
|Bishops emeritus||Milan Chautur|
|Website of the Diocese|
- Established on 27 January 1997 as Apostolic Exarchate of Košice, on territory split off from the Slovak Catholic Eparchy of Prešov.
- Elevated on 30 January 2008 to Slovak Catholic Eparchy of Košice.
List of eparchsEdit
- "Rinunce e nomine, 30.01.2008" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 30 January 2008. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 24.06.2021" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 24 June 2020. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 20.01.2020" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 January 2020. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- (in Slovak) Official website (in Slovak)