Cyril Vasiľ S.J. (born 10 April 1965) is a Slovak Jesuit who has been a prelate of the Slovak Greek Catholic Church since Pope Francis named him Apostolic Administrator of the Slovak Catholic Eparchy of Košice on 20 January 2020. He has been professor and Rector of the Pontifical Oriental Institute, a titular archbishop since 2009, and Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches from 2009 to 2020.
The Most Reverend
Cyril Vasiľ, S.J.
|Apostolic Administrator of Slovak Catholic Eparchy of Košice|
|Appointed||7 May 2009|
|Other posts||Titular Archbishop of Ptolemais in Libya|
|Ordination||14 June 1987|
by Slavomir Miklovš
|Consecration||14 June 2009|
by Slavomir Miklovš
|Birth name||Cyril Vasiľ|
|Born||10 April 1965|
|Previous post||Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches (2009–2020)|
|Motto||Parati Semper - ready always|
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Vasiľ was born in Košice, Slovakia, on 10 April 1965. From 1982 to 1987 he attended the Faculty of Theology of Cyril and Methodius in Bratislava. He was ordained priest for the Slovak Greek Catholic Church in 1987. In 1989 he obtained the licentiate in canon law at the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome. On 15 October 1990 he entered the Society of Jesus and in 2001 made his solemn profession. In 1994 he obtained a doctorate in Eastern Canon Law at the Pontifical Oriental Institute.
In 2002 he was elected Dean and pro-rector of the Faculty of Eastern Canon Law at the Pontifical Oriental Institute; in May 2007 he was selected rector. He was the first member of the Slovak Greek Catholic Church to hold that post.
He was a Consultor to the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerants. He was appointed an expert to the 2005 Synod of Bishops on the Eucharist. He was also a professor in the Pontifical Gregorian University, the Theological Faculty of the University of Bratislava and the University of Trnava. In 2003 he was appointed Spiritual Director of the Union Internationale des Guides et Scouts d′Europe. He served as Spiritual Director of this traditional faith-based scouting organization until 2007.
On 7 May 2009, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Titular Archbishop of Ptolemais in Libya and Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches. He received his episcopal consecration on 14 June 2009 from Slavomir Miklovš, Bishop Emeritus of Križevci, Croatia.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 07.05.2009" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 7 May 2009. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "Medzinárodná skautská akcia Euromoot 2007" (in Slovak). Tlacova kancelária konferencie biskupov slovenska. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- "Boy scouts are a hundred years old!". ciNews The Webportal for Christians. Archived from the original on 30 October 2007. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- "Le scoutisme a 100 ans : une alternative moderne pour la génération de la "PlayStation"" (in French). Catholique.org. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- Günther Walter (2009). "Kurat der UIGSE zum Erzbischof ernannt". Pfadfinder Mariens (in German). Katholische Pfadfinderschaft Europas. 3/2009: 6–7.
- Michala Hospodára. "Životopis a niekoľko dejstiev života nového vladyku Cyrila od o." (in Slovak). Archived from the original on 17 August 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 21.01.2010" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 21 January 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 20.01.2020" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 January 2020. Archived from the original on 20 January 2020. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Audiences, 18.01.2020" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 18 January 2020. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
Antonio Maria Vegliò
| Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches
7 May 2009 – 20 January 2020
Giorgio Demetrio Gallaro