Engal Selvi (transl. Our Daughter) is a 1960 Indian Tamil-language drama film, produced by T. E. Vasudevan under the Associate Producers banner and directed by D. Yoganand. It stars Akkineni Nageswara Rao and Anjali Devi , with music composed by K. V. Mahadevan. The film was a remake of Hindi film Lajwanti. The film was dubbed into Telugu as Kanna Kuthuru (1960).
|Directed by||D. Yoganand|
|Produced by||T. E. Vasudevan|
|Starring||Akkineni Nageswara Rao|
|Music by||K. V. Mahadevan|
|Cinematography||Adhi M. Irani|
|Edited by||M. S. Mani|
- Art: R. P. S. Mani
- Choreography: P. S. Gopalakrishnan
- Stills: R. Venkatachari
- Story – Screenplay – Dialogues: Maran
- Lyrics: Kannadasan, A. Maruthakasi, Kuyilan, Kavi Rajagopal
- Playback: V. N. Sundharam, P. B. Srinivas, A. L. Raghavan, P. Leela, P. Suseela, M. S. Rajeswari, K. Jamuna Rani & L. R. Eswari.
- Music: K. V. Mahadevan
- Editing: M. S. Mani
- Cinematography: Adhi M. Irani
- Producer: T. E. Vasudevan
- Director: D. Yoganand
- Lab: Vijaya
- Banner: Associate Producers
- Release Date: 8 July 1960
|1.||"Sollathaan Ninaikiren"||Kannadasan||P. Suseela||03:23|
|2.||"Vaarayo Vaarayo"||A. Maruthakasi||P. Suseela||01:34|
|3.||"Enna Peru Vaikkalaam"||Kannadasan||K. Jamuna Rani, P. Leela, L. R. Eswari||04:38|
|4.||"Sila Sila Aandugal Munnam"||Kuyilan||P. Leela & group||03:32|
|5.||"Ambuli Maamaa Varuvaayaa"||Kuyilan||A. L. Raghavan, M. S. Rajeswari & group||03:57|
|6.||"Unnai Nambi Aval Irundhaal"||Kuyilan||P. B. Srinivas||03:11|
|7.||"Jaya Jaya"||Kavi Rajagopal||V. N. Sundharam|
|8.||"Sollathan Ninaikiren (another song)"||Kannadasan||P. Suseela, K. Jamuna Rani & group|
The film had a wrestling match between Dara Singh and King Kong. The producer said while the shooting of the match was in progress, he noticed blood oozing from King Kong's mouth. He was concerned and shouted, "cut, cut". But the wrestler King Kong wanted the blood to be seen in the film. King Kong almost hit the producer, but Dara Singh intervened and told him that he is the producer of the film, the producer reminisced in an interview later.
The producer said he had to burn copies of the film due to lack of storage facilities. However, it appears some copies have survived.
- Film News Anandan (23 October 2004). Sadhanaigal Padaitha Thamizh Thiraipada Varalaru [History of Landmark Tamil Films] (in Tamil). Chennai: Sivakami Publishers. Archived from the original on 18 October 2016.
- Sriram, V. (14 August 2018). "From Lajwanthi to Engal Selvi". Madras Heritage and Carnatic Music. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "The time when KING KONG almost hit him". The Hindu. 15 July 2012. Archived from the original on 15 February 2017. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- G. Neelamegam. Thiraikalanjiyam – Part 1 (in Tamil). Manivasagar Publishers, Chennai 108 (Ph:044 25361039). First edition December 2014. p. 192.
- "Engal Selvi". The Indian Express. 8 July 1960. p. 3.
- on YouTube - Full feature film