Ellen Wright Clayton
Ellen Wright Clayton is an American Rosalind E. Franklin Professor of genetics and chairwoman of the Institute of Medicine Board at the Population Health and Public Health Practice who became a 2013 recipient of the David Rall Medal.
Wright Clayton was born in Houston, Texas where she attended school. She graduated from Duke with a degree in zoology and then obtained master's degree in biochemistry from Stanford University. Some years later she got her degree in law from Yale, and medical degree from Harvard respectively.
From 1988 she served as Vanderbilt University faculty member and since that time has published two books and over 150 peer-reviewed articles relating to law, medicine and public health. She serves on the advisory board panel of both the National Institutes of Health and Human Genome Organisation. In 2006, she was elected to IOM and three years later became its council member. In 2012, she began her three-year term as its BPH chairwoman. Since November 6, 2013, she has served as Nashville Business Journal editor. Currently she teaches in both medical and law schools and is a director of Vanderbilt's Center for Genetics and Health Policy.
Awards and honoursEdit
On Sundays she sang in a choir.
|Scholia has an author profile for Ellen Wright Clayton.|
This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.April 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
- Gerald B Hickson; William A Altemeier; Ellen W Clayton (August 1, 1990). "Should promethazine in liquid form be available without prescription?". Pediatrics. American Academy of Pediatrics. 86 (2): 221–225.
- Ellen Wright Clayton (1992). "Screening and treatment of newborns". Hous. L. Rev. HeinOnline. 29 (85).
- Gerald B Hickson; Ellen Wright Clayton; Penny B Githens; Frank A. Sloan (March 11, 1992). "Factors that prompted families to file medical malpractice claims following perinatal injuries". JAMA. 267 (10): 1359–1363. doi:10.1001/jama.1992.03480100065032.
- Ellen Wright Clayton (October 1, 1992). "Issues in state newborn screening programs". Pediatrics. American Academy of Pediatrics. 90 (4): 641–646.
- Ellen Wright Clayton; Gerald B Hickson; Cynthia S Miller (March 1, 1994). "Parents' responses to vaccine information pamphlets". Pediatrics. American Academy of Pediatrics. 93 (3): 369–372.
- A Kohrman; E Wright Clayton; JE Frader; MA Grodin; KL Moseley; IH Porter; VM Wagner (1995). "Informed consent, parental permission, and assent in pediatric practice". Pediatrics. 95 (2): 314–317. ISSN 0031-4005.
- Ellen Wright Clayton, Vickie L Hannig; Jean P Pfotenhauer; Robert A Parker (March 1996). "Lack of interest by nonpregnant couples in population-based cystic fibrosis carrier screening". American Journal of Human Genetics. 58 (3): 617–27. PMC 1914565. PMID 8644721.
- Gerald B Hickson; James W Pichert; Charles F Federspiel; Ellen Wright Clayton (January 1, 1997). "Development of an early identification and response model of malpractice prevention". Law and Contemporary Problems. Duke University School of Law: 7–29.
- Ellen Wright Clayton (June 1, 1997). "Genetic testing in children". Journal of Medicine and Philosophy. 22 (3): 233–251. doi:10.1093/jmp/22.3.233.
- Ellen Wright Clayton (June 1, 2002). "The complex relationship of genetics, groups, and health: what it means for public health". Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 30 (2): 290–297. doi:10.1111/j.1748-720X.2002.tb00395.x.
- Ellen Wright Clayton (March 1, 2005). "Informed consent and biobanks". The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 33 (1): 15–21. doi:10.1111/j.1748-720x.2005.tb00206.x.
- Ellen Wright Clayton; Lainie Friedman Ross (January 4, 2006). "Implications of disclosing individual results of clinical research". JAMA. 295 (1): 33–38. doi:10.1001/jama.295.1.37-a. PMID 16391213.
- Jeffrey R Botkin; Ellen Wright Clayton; Norman C Fost; Wylie Burke; Thomas H Murray; Mary Ann Baily; Benjamin Wilfond; Alfred Berg; Lainie Friedman Ross (May 1, 2006). "Newborn screening technology: proceed with caution". Pediatrics. 117 (5): 1793–1799. doi:10.1542/peds.2005-2547. PMID 16651338.
- Dan M Roden; Jill M Pulley; Melissa A Basford; Gordon R Bernard; Ellen W Clayton; Jeffrey R Balser; Dan R Masys (May 21, 2008). "Development of a large-scale de-identified DNA biobank to enable personalized medicine". Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 84 (3): 362–369. doi:10.1038/clpt.2008.89. PMC 3763939. PMID 18500243.
- Ellen Wright Clayton (June 1, 2008). "Incidental findings in genetics research using archived DNA". Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 36 (2): 286–291. doi:10.1111/j.1748-720X.2008.00271.x. PMC 2576744. PMID 18547196.
- Susan M Wolf; Frances P Lawrenz; Charles A Nelson; Jeffrey P Kahn; Mildred K Cho; Ellen Wright Clayton; Joel G Fletcher; Michael K Georgieff; Dale Hammerschmidt; Kathy Hudson; Judy Illes; Vivek Kapur; Moira A Keane; Barbara A Koenig; Bonnie S LeRoy; Elizabeth G McFarland; Jordan Paradise; Lisa S Parker; Sharon F Terry; Brian Van Ness; Benjamin S Wilfond (Summer 2008). "Managing incidental findings in human subjects research: analysis and recommendations". The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 36 (2): 219–248. doi:10.1111/j.1748-720X.2008.00266.x. PMC 2575242. PMID 18547191.
- Lainie Friedman Ross; Ellen Wright Clayton (June 18, 2009). "Clinical and ethical considerations in managing carrier detection". American Journal of Public Health. 99 (8): 1348–1349. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2009.161554. PMC 2707475. PMID 19542030.
- Jill Pulley; Ellen Clayton; Gordon R Bernard; Dan M Roden; Daniel R Masys (February 1, 2010). "Principles of Human Subjects Protections Applied in an Opt‐Out, De‐identified Biobank". Clinical and Translational Science. 3 (1): 42–48. doi:10.1111/j.1752-8062.2010.00175.x. PMC 3075971. PMID 20443953.
- Ellen Wright Clayton; Amy L. McGuire (February 9, 2012). "The legal risks of returning results of genomics research". Genetics in Medicine. 14 (4): 473–477. doi:10.1038/gim.2012.10. PMC 3779603. PMID 22323070.
- Lainie Friedman Ross; Mark A Rothstein; Ellen Wright Clayton (July 24–31, 2013). "Mandatory extended searches in all genome sequencing: "incidental findings," patient autonomy, and shared decision making". JAMA. 310 (4): 367–368. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.41700. PMID 23917281.
- Ellen Wright Clayton; Karen K Steinberg; Muin J Khoury; Elizabeth Thomson; Lori Andrews; Mary Jo Ellis Kahn; Loretta M Kopelman; Joan O Weiss (December 13, 2013). "Informed consent for genetic research on stored tissue samples". JAMA. 274 (22): 1786–1792. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.465.863. doi:10.1001/jama.1995.03530220052033.
- Fiona Soltes (Spring 2009). "The Convergence of Arts and Science". Arts and Science Magazine. Archived from the original on September 8, 2009. Cite journal requires
- "David Rall Award". Archived from the original on May 27, 2010. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- Paul Govern. "Science, society and the law — Ellen Wright Clayton has some issues". Vanderbilt University.
- Bill Snyder (October 23, 2013). "Institute of Medicine honors Vanderbilt's Clayton". Vanderbilt University. Archived from the original on October 24, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Ellen Wright Clayton". Nashville Business Journal. Archived from the original on November 12, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2014.