Elaine Devry (born Thelma Elaine Mahnken; January 10, 1930) is an American actress.
Thelma Elaine Mahnken
January 10, 1930
Compton, California, U.S.
|Other names||Elaine Davis|
|Alma mater||Compton Junior College|
(m. 1948; div. 1952)
(m. 1952; div. 1958)
Devry was born Thelma Elaine Mahnken to Fred P. and Hortense Mahnken in Compton, California, where she was raised. Her brother, Jeff, was three years her senior. She began to model at age fifteen. She graduated from Compton High School and later attended Compton Junior College, where she was homecoming queen.
After marrying her high school boyfriend, Dan Ducich, in 1948, the couple lived in Butte, Montana, until their 1952 divorce, upon which Devry returned to California, working as a carhop at the Dolores Drive-In on Wilshire Boulevard.
She was billed as Elaine Davis in her early acting roles, including her first film, The Atomic Kid, in which she and Rooney co-starred. Devry made three guest appearances on Perry Mason, including the title role of defendant Janice Wainwright in the 1962 episode, "The Case of the Shapely Shadow." She also appeared in many other popular television series, including Death Valley Days in the episode "Yankee Confederate" with Tod Andrews, Bonanza, 77 Sunset Strip, Burke's Law, Family Affair, I Dream of Jeannie, Marcus Welby, M.D., Dragnet, and Tales of Wells Fargo. She appeared on My Three Sons on Season 10 Episode 1 as Millicent Harper a single woman who was set up on a date by his daughter in law Katie with Steven Douglas but instead he meets Barbara and falls in love.
Devry married Dan Ducich, her high school boyfriend, in Butte, Montana, in September 1948. The following year, Ducich was convicted of multiple robberies in Los Angeles and sentenced to five years' probation. The couple resided in Butte, but divorced in 1952. She also had a six-year marriage to actor Mickey Rooney, whom she met in 1952, and married on November 15, 1952, in Las Vegas. They had a son. Since 2005, Devry has lived on a ranch in Oregon.
|1953||A Slight Case of Larceny||Girl in Car||Uncredited role|
|1954||The Atomic Kid||Audrey Nelson|
|1958||China Doll||Alice Nichols|
|1961||The Last Time I Saw Archie||Carole|
|1963||Diary of a Madman||Jeanne D'Arville|
|1967||A Guide for the Married Man||Jocelyn Montgomery|
|1969||With Six You Get Eggroll||Cleo|
|1970||Once You Kiss a Stranger||Sharon|
|1970||The Cheyenne Social Club||Pauline|
|1971||Bless the Beasts and Children||Cotton's Mother|
|1973||The Boy Who Cried Werewolf||Sandy Bridgestone|
|1974||Herbie Rides Again||Secretary|
|1999||Heart to Heart.com||Aimee|
- "Thelma Elaine Mahnken was born on January 10, 1930 in Los Angeles County, California". Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- "The Private Life and Times of Elaine Devry". Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Lertzman, Richard A.; Birnes, William J. (2015). The Life and Times of Mickey Rooney. Simon and Schuster. p. 323. ISBN 9781501100987. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Mickey Rooney & Elaine Devry Kiss". Getty Images. July 1, 1953. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Marill, Alvin H. (2004). Mickey Rooney: His Films, Television Appearances, Radio Work, Stage Shows, and Recordings. McFarland. p. 42. ISBN 9780786420155. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- Miller, Frank (2006). Leading Men: The 50 Most Unforgettable Actors of the Studio Era. Chronicle Books. p. 189. ISBN 9780811854672. Retrieved 19 June 2017.