Compton High School
|Compton High School|
The billboard of Compton High School in 2005
601 S. Acacia Avenue
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Compton Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Rigoberto Roman|
|School color(s)||Columbia blue and white|
The school opened in 1896 as Compton Union High School and was later re-established as Compton Senior High School in the 1950s after Compton College separated from the high school district and opened its new campus at 1111 East Artesia Boulevard in 1953.
During the 1960s, there was a dramatic transition from a white student body to one which was predominantly African-American. Today, Compton High School is over eighty percent Latino as immigrants settled in South Los Angeles.
In 2019, the school will be doing construction of a new campus.
Dr. Dre donationEdit
Compton College's mascot name is the Tartars, named after the Turkic Tatars, so the mascot name for Compton High School became the Tartar Babies. The mascot itself is "Baby Tartar" who wears a diaper and carries a big sword.
- Rod Barksdale: NFL wide receiver with Los Angeles Raiders and Dallas Cowboys
- Polly Bergen: movie, television and stage actress, singer, entrepreneur
- Reynaldo Brown: 1968 Olympic high jumper while still at Compton
- Joe Cain: former NFL player
- Ken Carpenter: 1936 Olympic discus throw gold medal winner
- James Coburn: movie and television actor, Oscar winner
- Robin Cole: former NFL player
- Nadine Conner: opera star
- Aaron Craver: former NFL player
- David Croudip: former NFL player
- Johnny Davis: MLB player
- DeMar DeRozan: NBA player for the San Antonio Spurs
- Eazy-E: rapper from the group N.W.A
- Marv Fleming: NFL tight end with Green Bay Packers and Miami Dolphins
- Alfonso Freeman: actor
- The Game: rapper
- William Hanna: animator and co-founder of Hanna-Barbera
- Tim Harris: former NFL player
- Ed Hervey: CFL All-star and general manager
- Roy Jefferson: NFL wide receiver with Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Colts, Washington Redskins
- Dean Jeffries: car designer and builder, movie stuntman
- Cornelius Johnson: 1936 Olympic high jump champion
- Datone Jones: NFL Dallas Cowboys
- Don Klosterman: professional football player, general manager of LA Rams and other teams
- Jim Marshall: athlete, coach and scout with over 60 years in professional baseball
- Louie Nelson: NBA player
- Walter Roberts: former NFL player
- Pete Rozelle: former NFL commissioner
- Troy Ruttman: racecar driver
- Woody Sauldsberry: basketball player
- Howard E. Scott: guitarist and co-founder of the funk band War
- Bobby Smith: former NFL player
- Duke Snider: Hall of Fame baseball player
- Template:Toddy Tee: American Rapper
- Iva Toguri: Second World War Japanese propaganda broadcaster
- William Cameron Townsend: Bible translator
- John William Finn: Congressional Medal of Honor recipient World War II.
- Ulis Williams: 1964 Olympian in track, President of Compton College
- "Compton High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 24, 2019.
- The City Of Compton
- Marc's Collection of High School Mascots Part 1: A-E
- Fisher, Marc (November 17, 2005). "Block That Mascot? Bite Your Tongue". The Washington Post.
- "Interviews of Tokyo Rose,09-09-1945 (full)". YouTube. WWIIPublicDomain. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Close, Frederick P. (2014). Tokyo Rose/an American Patriot : a dual biography (Revised and expanded edition. ed.). p. 55. ISBN 9781442232068. Retrieved 10 February 2016.