Egging is the act of throwing eggs at people or property. The eggs are usually raw, but can be hard-boiled or rotten.
The egging of politicians is a well-known form of protest, and egging cars or houses can be done as a form of vandalism, with or without reason, but in some places egging is done for benign or celebratory reasons.
Damage and injuryEdit
Eggs are capable of causing damage when thrown at property, and egging is considered vandalism. Eggs can break windows and, when thrown at cars, can dent a body panel or chip paint where the shell breaks. Egg whites can degrade certain types of vehicle and house paint. Dried egg can be difficult to remove, and removal attempts with scrapers or abrasives can damage some surfaces. Egging of property may also spread disease, such as E. coli and salmonella.
Victims of egging may be entitled to financial compensation for the cost of repairs and cleaning to mend damaged property and prevent the spread of disease. Common charges related to egging are damage to property, vandalism, and nuisance. In more serious cases where injuries have resulted, perpetrators may be charged with assault and fined.
Egging of a person's face can cause serious injuries and eye injury, and may constitute assault and battery. A nurse was blinded in one eye when an egg was thrown at her from a passing car in March 2008 in Dublin. A boy on Long Island lost sight in one eye after teens from a local high school threw eggs out of a passing car on Halloween in 2005.
Medical compensation may be required for victims of egging due to infections and spread of diseases such as salmonella, E. coli, conjunctivitis and meningitis. Diseases resulting from egg entering the eye may cause serious eye infections, which can spread and further infect the brain.
Eggs are sometimes thrown at people or buildings as a form of protest. High-profile people who have been egged include: David Cameron, Steve Ballmer, Miloš Zeman, Bronisław Komorowski, Arnold Schwarzenegger, John Prescott, Helmut Kohl, Nick Griffin, David Blaine, Richard Prebble, Ed Miliband, Nigel Farage, John Tsang, Luis Fortuño, Rafael Correa.
During the 2004 Ukrainian presidential election, candidate Viktor Yanukovych was rushed to hospital after he had been hit with an egg (while government officials claimed he was hit by a brick), which became a source of ridicule.
Irish bank AIB was egged in response to the Irish banking crisis of 2009. The Chairman of the Ukrainian Parliament was egged by deputies inside the Ukrainian parliament in 2010 as a protest against a natural gas agreement.
After blaming Muslim immigrants for the anti-Muslim Christchurch massacre in March 2019, Australian politician Fraser Anning was egged by a teenager, who was arrested, but later released without charges. While campaigning during the May 2019 Australian federal election, Prime Minister Scott Morrison was the target of an attempted egging by a 24-year-old woman at a Country Women's Association event held at the Albury Entertainment Centre. The egg failed to break on contact with Morrison's head and instead bounced off.
For specific eventsEdit
Egging is sometimes associated with certain events and holidays.
In parts of the UK and the United States, October 30 is referred to as "Mischief Night", when teenagers rub soap bars on car windows, spray paint graffiti, throw eggs at houses, adorn trees with toilet paper, and run away after ringing doorbells.
In Brazil it is common to throw eggs at someone on their birthday, with or without their consent, as a friendly prank. Usually, flour is also poured on the person's head after the eggs, with the idea of "a cake being made on their heads". A recent example is when Guarani FC midfielder José Fernando Fumagalli had eggs and wheat flour thrown by his team mates during his 40th birthday celebrations and retirement announcement in 2017.  The tradition originated in the 1980s, in Mexico, where it was common to break "cascarones" (eggshells) on a person's head at their birthday party as a vow of good fortune. The eggs were usually filled with confetti and colored with dye or crayons.
- "Nottingham riots: 11-year-old girl facing criminaldamage charges". Metro UK. 11 August 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- McNerthney, Casey (15 October 2008). "What happens to people caught egging?". Seattle PI. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Stewart R. M., Durnian J. M., Briggs M. C. "Here's egg in your eye": a prospective study of blunt ocular trauma resulting from thrown eggs. Emergency Medicine Journal. 23(10):756–8, Oct 2006.
- "Egg raid victim granted $70,000". One Perth. 1 February 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "Nigeria Law, Act-Part V Assaults". Nigeria Law. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Youth blinded nurse in 'egging' attack from car, Conor Gallagher, Irish Independent, 6 November 2009.
- "David Cameron is struck by an egg". BBC News. 21 April 2010.
- Steve Ballmer: Steve Ballmer Egged in Hungary!
- Zemana vypískali na Albertově, ochranka ho bránila před vajíčky
- Crowd hurls eggs, tomatoes at Zeman Archived 2015-07-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Prezydent Komorowski zaatakowany jajkiem na Ukrainie
- Polish leader egged during visit to Ukraine massacre site
- "Schwarzenegger vows 'people's takeover' of Sacramento". CNN. 2003-09-03. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Egg Head". bofunk.com. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- "Prescott sees red". BBC News. 17 May 2001.
- "Prescott 'regrets' blow". BBC News. 17 May 2001.
- The Guardian
- NZ Eyewitness News, 31 August 1988[permanent dead link]
- Watch the moment Ed Miliband is egged during campaign visit to London street market
- UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage has been hit by an egg thrown by a protester
- Hora, Diario La. "Ráfaga de huevos para Rafael Correa en La Maná - La Hora". La Hora Noticias de Ecuador, sus provincias y el mundo (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- "Manifestantes jogam pedras e ovos contra Caravana de Lula no sul do país - ISTOÉ Independente". ISTOÉ Independente (in Portuguese). 2018-03-26. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- Revolution in Orange, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, ISBN 0-87003-221-6 (page 58 + 59 written by Taras Kuzio)
- AIB bank in Cork egged by man in suit
- Ukrainian parliament ratifies agreement extending Russian Black Sea Fleet's presence in Crimea, Kyiv Post (April 27, 2010)
- Oppositional deputies throw eggs in Lytvyn, Kyiv Post (April 27, 2010)
- "Australia 'egg boy' clash: Senator cleared as teenager handed caution". BBC News. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Qual a origem da festa de aniversário?". Mundo Estranho (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "Por que é costume quebrar ovos na cabeça de aniversariantes?". Superinteressante (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "Aniversariante, Fumagalli leva ovada e praticamente anuncia aposentadoria". Globoesporte (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-03-29.