Egging is sometimes associated with certain events and holidays. For example, in parts of England and the United States, October 30 is referred to as "Mischief Night", when mischievous teens rub soap bars on car windows, throw eggs at houses, adorn trees with toilet paper, and run away after ringing doorbells. In some areas of Queens, New York, "Cabbage Night" involved throwing rotten fruit at various neighbors, cars, and buses.
Damage and injuryEdit
Eggs are capable of causing damages when thrown at property, and egging is considered vandalism in addition to many other severe crimes. Eggs can break windows and, when thrown at cars, can dent a body panel or chip paint where the shell breaks, leaving an oval outline. Egg whites can degrade certain types of vehicle and house paint. Whether or not the egg damages the surface beneath it, dried egg can be difficult to remove, and removal attempts with scrapers or abrasives can damage the surface. In addition to physical damages to property, egging of property may spread diseases. This may infect the victim and possibly many victims with E. coli, salmonella, other viruses, and more.
Victims of egging may be entitled to compensation for the cost of repairs, cleaning (including cleaning supplies such as gloves, soap, water, and disinfectant) to mend damaged property and spread of disease. Common charges involved with eggings are damage to property, vandalism, and nuisance. In more serious cases where injuries from egging are presented, perpetrators may be charged with assault and fined.
Egging of a person's face can cause serious injuries and eye injury, and may constitute assault and battery. A nurse was blinded in one eye when an egg was thrown at her from a passing car in March 2008 in Dublin. A boy on Long Island lost sight in one eye after teens from a local high school threw eggs out of a passing car on Halloween 2005. Medical compensation may be required for victims of egging due to infections and spread of diseases such as salmonella, E. coli, conjunctivitis and meningitis. Diseases from egging entering the eyes may cause serious infections of the eyes and the membrane of eye tissues, which can spread and further infect the brain.
Eggs are sometimes thrown at people as a form of protest. High-profile people who have been egged in this manner include David Cameron, Steve Ballmer, Miloš Zeman, Bronisław Komorowski, Arnold Schwarzenegger, John Prescott, Helmut Kohl, Nick Griffin David Blaine, Richard Prebble, Ed Miliband, Nigel Farage, and John Tsang. Irish bank AIB was egged in response to the Irish banking crisis of 2009. The Chairman of the Ukrainian Parliament was egged by deputies inside the Ukrainian parliament on April 27, 2010 as a protest against a natural gas agreement. During the 2004 Ukrainian presidential election, candidate Viktor Yanukovych was rushed to hospital after he had been hit with an egg (while government officials claimed he was hit by a brick), which became a source of ridicule.
- "Nottingham riots: 11-year-old girl facing criminaldamage charges". Metro UK. 11 August 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- McNerthney, Casey (15 October 2008). "What happens to people caught egging?". Seattle PI. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Stewart R. M., Durnian J. M., Briggs M. C. "Here's egg in your eye": a prospective study of blunt ocular trauma resulting from thrown eggs. Emergency Medicine Journal. 23(10):756–8, Oct 2006.
- "Egg raid victim granted $70,000". One Perth. 1 February 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "Nigeria Law, Act-Part V Assaults". Nigeria Law. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Youth blinded nurse in 'egging' attack from car, Conor Gallagher, Irish Independent, 6 November 2009.
- "David Cameron is struck by an egg". BBC News. 21 April 2010.
- Steve Ballmer: Steve Ballmer Egged in Hungary!
- Zemana vypískali na Albertově, ochranka ho bránila před vajíčky
- Crowd hurls eggs, tomatoes at Zeman Archived 2015-07-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- Prezydent Komorowski zaatakowany jajkiem na Ukrainie
- Polish leader egged during visit to Ukraine massacre site
- "Schwarzenegger vows 'people's takeover' of Sacramento". CNN. 2003-09-03. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Egg Head". bofunk.com. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- "Prescott sees red". BBC News. 17 May 2001.
- "Prescott 'regrets' blow". BBC News. 17 May 2001.
- The Guardian
- NZ Eyewitness News, 31 August 1988[permanent dead link]
- Watch the moment Ed Miliband is egged during campaign visit to London street market
- UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage has been hit by an egg thrown by a protester
- AIB bank in Cork egged by man in suit
- Ukrainian parliament ratifies agreement extending Russian Black Sea Fleet's presence in Crimea, Kyiv Post (April 27, 2010)
- Oppositional deputies throw eggs in Lytvyn, Kyiv Post (April 27, 2010)
- Revolution in Orange, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, ISBN 0-87003-221-6 (page 58 + 59 written by Taras Kuzio)