Edward Hallowell (psychiatrist)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Edward M. "Ned" Hallowell (born 2 December 1949) is a child and adult psychiatrist who specialises in ADD and ADHD. He is the co-author of the books Driven to Distraction (1994) and Delivered From Distraction (2005).
Driven to DistractionEdit
In Driven to Distraction, published in 1994, Hallowell claimed "ADHD has symptoms that include trouble concentrating, impulsivity, disorganization, procrastination and hyperactivity. Along with behavioral therapy, medication is good because it can improve adults' relationships, parenting skills, job performance, even their sex lives".
Hallowell said "ADHD, when treated properly, is not only "powerfully positive" but probably what made people like Albert Einstein, Edgar Allan Poe, George Bernard Shaw, Thomas Edison, Abraham Lincoln, John Irving and Henry Ford so special".
In 2012, Hallowell went on television in an advert with Ty Pennington and said "Undiagnosed, this condition can ruin your family life, ruin your school life. Among adults it leads to underachievement. The prison population is full of people with undiagnosed ADHD. The divorced, the unemployed, the addicted. It's a good news diagnosis because if you get it you can skyrocket. You can soar. You can achieve your goals. You might be a straight-A student. You may be a Nobel Peace Prize winner. But you know you could be doing better. Go and get this diagnosis. 80% of adults don't know they have it. Stimulants are very safe. See a doctor who knows what he or she is doing and it's (Adderall) safer than aspirin". Despite his claim of having ADHD, Hallowell has never been officially tested.
Hallowell lives in the Boston area with his wife, Sue, a social worker, and their three children.
In May 2015, Hallowell charged with groping a woman in October 2014. but given pre-trial probation for a year in September 2015.
- Finding the Heart of the Child (1993)
- Driven to Distraction (1994)
- Answers to Distraction (1996)
- Attention Deficit Disorder : A Different Perception (1997)
- A Walk in the Rain With a Brain (2004)
- When You Worry About The Child You Love (1997)
- Worry (1998)
- 12 Vital Ties That Open Your Heart, Lengthen Your Life, and Deepen Your Soul (1999)
- The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness (2003)
- Delivered from Distraction (2005)
- CrazyBusy (2006)
- Today (9/30/2005)
Dr. Oz (10/19/2011) Dr. Phil (7/9/2009)
- Driven to Distraction - Hallowell and Ratey - 1994.
- Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention - Katherine Ellison (2010).
- ADHD Nation: Children, Doctors, Big Pharma, and the Making of an American Epidemic - Alan Schwarz - 2016
- "Meet Dr. Hallowell". Dr Hallowell ADHD and mental and cognitive health. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Wallis, Claudia (10 February 2006). "Getting Hyper About Ritalin". Time. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Archer, Michelle (16 April 2006). "Too busy to read this book? Then you really need to". USA Today. Retrieved 27 February 2011.