Edo State University, Uzairue (abbreviated EDSU) is a state government-owned tertiary institution founded in 2016. It is located in Iyamho, a town in Etsako West local government area of Edo State, Nigeria. On 23 March 2016, the university was approved by the National Universities Commission as Nigeria's 41st state university. Edo State University offer undergraduate, postgraduate and research programmes.
|National Universities Commission|
On 27 March 2014, the Edo State House of Assembly passed a bill for the establishment of a University of Science and Technology at Uzairue. The university was however changed to Edo University and its location to Iyamho.
Ranking and achievementEdit
In 2018, the university was ranked first among State government owned Universities and third University in Nigeria in the first ever Open Educational Resources (OER) conducted by National Universities Commission (NUC) Institutional repository.
Upon the establishment of Edo State University, Uzairue, the Governor of Edo State Adams Oshiomole was criticized by some section of the press. Francis Akhigbe of THISDAYLive cited "personal interest" as the reason why Oshiomole established the university . The media also felt there was no need of establishing a university when other tertiary institutions in the state were already in bad conditions.
- Emmanuel Aluyor 2016–present is a professor of chemical engineering
- Enogholase, Gabriel (4 April 2016). "Edo govt spends N30bn on Iyamho Varsity — Ize-Iyamu". Vanguard News. Benin City. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- Sebastine Ebhuomhan (25 March 2016). "NUC approves Edo State University". Premium Times. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Edo Assembly passes bill to establish University of Science and Technology". Premium Times. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- Francis Akhigbe (3 April 2016). "The Ironies of Oshiomhole's Iyamo University". THISDAY Live. Benin City. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Edo University Iyamho : Model varsity aiming for the top". Vanguard News. 7 July 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- Anayo Okolie (6 April 2016). "Oshiomhole Justifies Creation of Edo State Varsity". THISDAY Live. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- ORCID. "Emmanuel Aluyor (0000-0002-6435-3142)". orcid.org. Retrieved 15 July 2021.