Type of site
|Created by||Shared authorship|
|Registration||Optional (required to edit pages)|
|Launched||August 2009 (Test phase)|
14 December 2010 (Official launch)
EcuRed as a Cuban encyclopedia originated from the need to provide universal knowledge within the .cu Internet domain and make it accessible to the vast majority of Cubans, especially after in 2015 the Cuban government created 35 Wi Fi zones in the main cities of the country, and lowered the prices for the Nauta Service (provided by ETECSA, the public company for telecommunications).
The content is entwined with the Cuban Revolution and is written from a Cuban perspective. For example, EcuRed's article about the United States said it had historically taken "by force territory and natural resources from other nations, to put at the service of its businesses and monopolies", and the George W. Bush article says that he continues with a family tradition of corruption, government deceit and intrigue. The name is an acronym from the Spanish phrase Enciclopedia Cubana en la Red (literally "Cuban Encyclopedia on the Network").
Anyone with an email can register on the encyclopedia regardless of country of origin, but unlike some wikis, not all of EcuRed's articles may be modified by the public. Pages can be "protected" for multiple reasons, including "to protect modifications of articles considered very valuable, with a high [degree of] consensus, or with an elevated repercussion".
The site is administered by Cuba's Youth Computer Club, a company of the Ministry of Communications of Cuba, but content is collaboratively created by registered editors of the site.
- (in Spanish) Politicas page on EcuRed.
- Artículo de EcuRed en la Enciclopedia Colaborativa Cubana
- "Nace la Wikipedia cubana". La República (in Spanish). Lima, Peru. 13 December 2010.
- "Estadísticas - EcuRed". EcuRed. EcuRed. Retrieved 10 November 2019.
- "Nace la 'Wikipedia cubana'". El País (in Spanish). 14 December 2010.
- "Cuba to launch Ecured, a Wikipedia-like database". Pravda.ru. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Cuba launches Wikipedia-like online encyclopedia". Reuters. 13 December 2010.
- Estados Unidos at EcuRed (in Spanish): Se ha caracterizado históricamente por despojar por la fuerza a otras naciones y países de territorios y recursos naturales para ponerlos al servicio de sus empresas y monopolios.
- George W. Bush at EcuRed (in Spanish): Continúa una larga tradición familiar de negocios sucios, trampas e intrigas gubernamentales, que comenzó con su abuelo, el Senador Prescott Bush, y continuó con su padre, George Bush.
- "EcuRed". EcuRed (in Spanish). 4 November 2015. Archived from the original on 22 February 2016.
- "Cuba launches its own online encyclopedia". CNN. 14 December 2010.
- Rich Potter (30 December 2010). "Cuba's Ecured: a socialist Wikipedia?". Transd[e]uce. Retrieved 31 December 2010.