Eastern Lakes State
Eastern Lakes State is one of the 32 states of South Sudan. It is located in the Bahr el Ghazal region and it borders Southern Liech to the north, Western States to the west, Amadi to the southwest, Terekeka to the southeast, and Jonglei to the east.
Location of Eastern Lakes State within South Sudan
|Number of Counties||11|
|• Governor||Mangar Buong|
On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
|Yirol Centre||Geng-geng||Yirol West|
|Yirol North||Yali||Yirol East|
|Yirol East (Adior)||Adior||Yirol East|
Counties are further divided into payams, and payams are then divided into Bomas.
List of governors of Eastern lakes stateEdit
The governors of Eastern lakes state in the order of first to last are ;
- Ring Tueny Mabor
- Bor Philip
- Mangar Buong
- "Full list of Kiir's proposed new 28 states in S Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. 3 October 2015. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Tonj State Capital Attacked By Pastoralists". Radio Tamazuj. 20 April 2016. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02.
- Magok, Mabor (18 August 2016). "Eastern Lakes State Governor Announces Creation Of Additional Counties". Gurtong. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- M'Kon, Daniel. "Eastern Lakes Announces Additional Counties, New Commissioners". The Nation Mirror. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
|This South Sudan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|