E. J. Gaines
Edwin "E. J." Gaines Jr. (born February 23, 1992) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Missouri. He was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft.
Gaines with the Cleveland Browns
|Born:||February 23, 1992|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Osage|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 6 / Pick: 188|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
High school careerEdit
Gaines attended Fort Osage High School in Independence, Missouri. He was a two-time First-team all-state performer, and helped lead his team to the Missouri Class 5 title game as a senior in 2009, in which he ran for 1,500 yards and 20 touchdowns and caught 20 passes for 400 yards, while also starring in the secondary by making 72 tackles and two interceptions. His junior year, he had 89 tackles and added 5 interceptions (including one he returned for a score) in 2008. He recorded 88 tackles and five interceptions as a sophomore in 2007. He was also a standout performer in track and basketball for his school, as he won all-state honors in track two different years.
In 2010, as a true freshman at Missouri, Gaines appeared in all 13 games recording 26 tackles, as a backup cornerback. In 2011, he won a starting position and set a school record with 18 passes defended, while also finishing the season fifth on the team with 69 tackles, and two interceptions. He earned first team All-Big 12 honors. In 2012, he led the team with 11 pass break ups and finished with a career-high 74 tackles. He also forced two fumbles and had an interception. In his senior season, he intercepted a career-high five passes while adding 75 tackles, earning himself a first-team All-SEC selection.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 9 5⁄8 in
|4.51 s||1.58 s||2.59 s||4.28 s||7.13 s||31 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 7 in
|All values from 2014 NFL Combine|
St. Louis / Los Angeles RamsEdit
Throughout training camp, Gaines competed to be a backup cornerback against Brandon McGee, Quinton Pointer, Marcus Roberson, Greg Reid, and Darren Woodard. Head coach Jeff Fisher named Gaines the third cornerback on the Rams' depth chart, behind Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.
He started 15 games his rookie season in 2014, recording 70 tackles, 14 passes defensed and two interceptions, earning him a spot on the PFWA All-Rookie Team.
After earning the starting cornerback job the previous season and during training camp, Gaines was placed on injured reserve on August 15, 2015 due to a Lisfranc injury, ending his season before it started.
Gaines returned to the starting lineup in 2016, playing in 11 games with 10 starts, recording 56 tackles and seven passes defensed. He missed five games in 2016 due to a thigh injury.
On August 11, 2017, the Los Angeles Rams traded Gaines and their second round pick (56th overall) in the 2018 NFL Draft to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for wide receiverSammy Watkins and a sixth round pick (195th overall) in the 2018 NFL Draft. He started 11 games in 2017, recording 59 tackles, nine passes defensed, three forced fumbles, and one interception.
Gaines signed with the Cleveland Browns on March 23, 2018, reuniting with former Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. In Week 4 against the Oakland Raiders, Gaines intercepted quarterback Derek Carr and made five tackles in a 45-42 overtime loss. On November 7, 2018, Gaines was placed on injured reserve after being diagnosed with his second concussion in three weeks.
Buffalo Bills (second stint)Edit
Gaines brought forth his first child, Edwin “Tre” Gaines III, with Juanita Clare on January 23, 2016. The couple welcomed their second child Juliana Gaines July 8, 2018.
- E. J. Gaines Recruiting Profile
- Mizzou's Sam, Gaines Named First Team All-SEC
- EJ Gaines Combine results
- Van Bibber, Ryan (May 10, 2014). "St. Louis Rams select Mizzou CB E.J. Gaines with pick No. 188". TurfShowTimes.com.
- "Here's how rookie contracts break down for the St. Louis Rams". TurfShowTimes.com. June 13, 2014. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- "St. Louis Rams secondary taking shape". turfshowtimes.com. June 17, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- "2014 Rams Depth Chart: Robinson At Backup". TurfShowTimes.com. September 2, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Smith, Michael David (August 16, 2015). "Rams Lose Starting Cornerback EJ Gaines". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.
- Sessler, Marc (August 11, 2017). "Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams, acquire Matthews". NFL.com.
- Bodenrader, Mark (August 11, 2017). "Rams Acquire WR Sammy Watkins in Trade With Bills". TheRams.com.
- Gribble, Andrew (March 23, 2018). "Browns continue to bolster secondary with signing of E.J. Gaines". ClevelandBrowns.com.
- McManamon, Pat (November 7, 2018). "Browns LB Kirksey, CB Gaines placed on IR". ESPN.com.
- Brown, Chris (March 25, 2019). "Cornerback E.J. Gaines signs for second stint with Bills". BuffaloBills.com.
- Brown, Chris (August 10, 2019). "Bills sign CB Captain Munnerlyn, OL Demetrius Rhaney and, DT Roderick Young". BuffaloBills.com.
- Warren, Matt. "Buffalo Bills release E.J. Gaines from injured reserve with settlement". BuffaloRumblings.com. Retrieved August 19, 2019.