Duncan John Hames (born 16 June 1977) is a Director of Policy at Transparency International UK and a former Liberal Democrat politician. He was the Member of Parliament (MP) for the Chippenham constituency in Wiltshire from 2010 to 2015. Between 2012 and 2015, he served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Nick Clegg when he was Deputy Prime Minister.
|Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Deputy Prime Minister|
5 September 2012 – 30 March 2015
|Prime Minister||David Cameron|
|Preceded by||Jo Swinson|
|Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change|
16 August 2011 – 5 September 2012
|Prime Minister||David Cameron|
|Preceded by||Jenny Willott|
|Succeeded by||Steve Gilbert|
|Member of Parliament |
6 May 2010 – 8 May 2015
|Preceded by||Constituency created|
|Succeeded by||Michelle Donelan|
|Born||16 June 1977|
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
Jo Swinson (m. 2011)
|Children||2 - Andrew and Gabriel|
|Alma mater||New College, Oxford|
Hames was born in Hertfordshire and attended Watford Grammar School for Boys. He studied PPE at New College, Oxford, where he was an executive officer of the Oxford University Student Union and represented the Oxford Union in debating competitions.
After graduation, Hames trained as an accountant with Deloitte. In June 2000, he stood for the Liberal Democrats in the Tottenham by-election. He was then the Liberal Democrat candidate in his home constituency of Watford at the 2001 general election. He moved to Holt in Wiltshire, and from 2003 to 2007 served as a member of West Wiltshire District Council. In 2003 Hames joined the board of the South West of England Regional Development Agency and was the Lib Dem candidate for the Westbury constituency at the 2005 general election.
In July 2006, shortly after the creation of a new Chippenham county constituency, Hames was selected as his party's first candidate for it, and his success at the 2010 general election gave Wiltshire its first Liberal member of parliament in 86 years.
Following his defeat at the 2015 general election, Hames chose not to stand for re-selection as the Liberal Democrat candidate in the Chippenham constituency.
- "No. 59418". The London Gazette. 13 May 2010. p. 8746.
- "Duncan Hames – Parliamentary candidates – BBC". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Duncan Hames at hustings.com
- Lib Dems select Duncan Hames to stand for the new Chippenham constituency Archived 3 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine, dated 15 July 2006, at duncanhames.org.uk
- "Duncan Hames Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones Chippenham, first Wiltshire MP". www.thisisbath.co.uk. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- Election 2010: Chippenham, BBC News
- "Meet the Team". Transparency International UK. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "MP Jo Swinson weds MP Duncan Hames". milngavieherald.co.uk. Archived from the original on 12 May 2012. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- "Swinson announces birth of second son". HeraldScotland. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Scots MP Jo Swinson gives birth to baby boy". HeraldScotland. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- Duncan Hames MP official constituency website
- "Duncan Hames MP". Liberal Democrats. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency|| Member of Parliament for Chippenham