Dublin Senior Football Championship
The Dublin Senior Football Championship (currently known for sponsorship reasons as the Evening Herald Dublin Senior Football Championship) is an annual Gaelic Athletic Association competition between the top Dublin GAA clubs. The winners of the Dublin Championship qualify to represent their county in the Leinster Senior Club Football Championship, the winners of which progress to the All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship. The 2019 Dublin County Champions are Ballyboden St Enda's who defeated Thomas Davis in the final.
|Dublin Senior Football Championship|
|Current season or competition:|
2020 Dublin Senior Football Championship
|Irish||Craobh Shinsear Peile |
|Title holders||Ballymun Kickhams (4th title)|
|Most titles||St Vincent's (28 titles)|
There were no champions in 1902 as there was no Dublin Football Championship that year. The 1902 final was played in 1903, with Bray Emmets going on to represent Dublin and win the 1902 Leinster and All-Ireland Senior Football Championship representing Dublin (six Bray Emmets Players in all), a final which was played in 1904.
The Dublin senior football championship had received a dramatic revamp for 2006. A backdoor system was introduced and the new system was on a two-year trial which ended in 2007. A whole new system was introduced for the 2008 competition, the teams were divided into groups which were based on seeding from the previous year. The new system was to only involve the senior football championship. The backdoor system was restored for 2009 but was then removed in 2012. The new format included the introduction of a 'Senior B' championship. All the teams that lost in the first round were placed within in competition which was run in parallel to the 'A' Championship.
The Championship received another revamp in 2018 where the straight knock-out format was removed and replaced with a group format that contained 16 teams divided into 4 groups of four. The four teams who played in the semi-final the previous year were seeded and placed in separate groups while the other 12 teams were drawn into the remaining spots. Each team plays the 3 other teams in their group once and the teams that finish first and second within their groups qualify for the quarter-finals.
Wins listed by clubEdit
|Team||Wins||Years won||Last Final lost|
|1||St Vincent's||29||1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1957,1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1981, 1984, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017||2015|
|2||O'Tooles||11||1918, 1919, 1920, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1928, 1931, 1946||1964|
|3||Geraldines||10||1898, 1899, 1908, 1910, 1914, 1915, 1917, 1940, 1941, 1942||1912|
|4||Kilmacud Crokes||8||1992, 1994, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2018||2012|
|5||UCD||7||1943, 1963, 1965, 1973, 1974, 2002, 2006||1976|
|6||Parnells||6||1913, 1916, 1939, 1945, 1987, 1988||1991|
|7||Garda||5||1927, 1929, 1933, 1934, 1935||1955|
|8||Kickhams||5||1897, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907||1925|
|Na Fianna||5||1969, 1979, 1999, 2000, 2001||2005|
|Young Irelands||5||1891, 1892, 1893, 1894, 1896||1890|
|11||Ballymun Kickhams||4||1982, 1985, 2012, 2020||2017|
|Erin's Hope||4||1887, 1932, 1956, 1978||1980|
|Clanna Gael||4||1936, 1937, 1948, 1968||1963|
|Ballyboden St Enda's||4||1995, 2009, 2015, 2019||2004|
|15||Thomas Davis||3||1989, 1990, 1991||2019|
|Isles of the Sea||3||1890, 1895, 1900||1892|
|Keatings||3||1903, 1909, 1911||1917|
|18||Erin's Isle||2||1993, 1997||1996|
|Civil Service||2||1944, 1980||1992|
|Seán McDermotts||2||1938, 1947||1967|
|Scoil Ui Chonaill||2||1983, 1986||1968|
|St Brigid's||2||2003, 2011||2010|
Finals listed by yearEdit
|2020||Ballymun Kickhams||1-19||Ballyboden St Enda's||0-08|
|2019||Ballyboden St Enda's||0-15||Thomas Davis||0-09|
|2018||Kilmacud Crokes||2-12||St Jude's||0-13|
|2017||St Vincent's||1-08||Ballymun Kickhams||0-08|
|2015||Ballyboden St Enda's||2-08||St Vincent's||0-10|
|2014||St Vincent's||0-14||St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh||1-10|
|2013||St Vincent's||1-17, 1-09 (R)||Ballymun Kickhams||0-20, 1-08 (R)|
|2012||Ballymun Kickhams||1-12||Kilmacud Crokes||0-14|
|2011||St Brigid's||0-10||St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh||0-08|
|2010||Kilmacud Crokes||2-12||St Brigid's||0-11|
|2009||Ballyboden St Enda's||2-12||St Jude's||1-13|
|2008||Kilmacud Crokes||1-10, 3-06 (R)||St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh||0-13, 0-13 (R)|
|2007||St Vincent's||0-12||St Brigid's||1-07|
|2005||Kilmacud Crokes||1-14||Na Fianna||0-09|
|2004||Kilmacud Crokes||0-11||Ballyboden St Enda's||2-02|
|2003||St Brigid's||0-17||Kilmacud Crokes||1-08|
|2001||Na Fianna||3-15||St Brigid's||1-05|
|2000||Na Fianna||2-06||Kilmacud Crokes||1-08|
|1999||Na Fianna||1-13||St Brigid's||0-12|
|1998||Kilmacud Crokes||1-16||Na Fianna||0-13|
|1997||Erin's Isle||2-10||St. Sylvester's, Malahide||1-11|
|1996||St. Sylvester's, Malahide||0-11||Erin's Isle||0-09|
|1995||Ballyboden St Enda's||1-07||Erin's Isle||0-09|
|1994||Kilmacud Crokes||0-12, 1-14 (R)||Erin's Isle||1-09, 2-10 (R)|
|1993||Erin's Isle||0-08, 1-08 (R)||Kilmacud Crokes||1-05, 0-06 (R)|
|1992||Kilmacud Crokes||0-11||Civil Service||0-10|
|1989||Thomas Davis||2-10||Ballymun Kickhams||0-10|
|1986||Scoil Ui Chonaill||0-09||Thomas Davis||0-01|
|1984||St Vincent's||1-08||Na Fianna||1-05|
|1983||Scoil Ui Chonaill||0-12||St Vincent's||1-06|
|1982||Ballymun Kickhams||2-11||Erin's Isle||1-08|
|1981||St Vincent's||0-12||Ballymun Kickhams||2-04|
|1980||Civil Service||3-09||Erin's Hope||2-08|
|1979||Na Fianna||0-11||Civil Service||0-09|
|1978||Erin's Hope||0-09, 3-07 (R)||Erin's Isle||1-06, 0-13 (R)|
|1977||St Vincent's||4-15||Synge Street PP||0-06|
|1975 [a]||St Vincent's||W/O||UCD||SCR|
|1971||St Vincent's||3-13||Craobh Chiaráin||3-03|
|1969||Na Fianna||1-08||St Vincent's||0-10|
|1968||Clanna Gael||1-08||Scoil Ui Chonaill||0-05|
|1967||St Vincent's||2-16||Sean McDermotts||1-06|
|1966||St Vincent's||3-09||Sean McDermotts||2-06|
|1963||UCD||1-04, 2-12 (R)||Clanna Gael||0-07, 2-08 (R)|
|1962||St Vincent's||3-13||Clanna Gael||3-08|
|1961||St Vincent's||2-12||Air Corps||1-06|
|1960||St Vincent's||1-06||Air Corps||0-07|
|1958||St Vincent's||1-08||Sean McDermott's||1-05|
|1957||St Vincent's||2-13||Clanna Gael||1-04|
|1956||Erin's Hope||1-07||St Vincent's||0-07|
|1954||St. Vincent's||3-06||College of Pharmacy||2-01|
|1953||St Vincent's||2-05||Clanna Gael||0-06|
|1952||St Vincent's||1-10, 0-13 (R)||Garda||3-04, 1-08 (R)|
|1951||St Vincent's||1-06||Sean McDermott's||0-04|
|1949||St Vincent's||4-11||Clanna Gael||2-05|
|1948||Clanna Gael||2-08||St Vincent's||2-03|
|1946||O'Toole's||2-05, 1-06 (R)||Parnells||1-08, 1-05 (R)|
|1944||Civil Service||3-04||Peadar Mackens||1-01|
|1937 [b]||Clanna Gael||W/O||Sean McDermott's||SCR|
|1936||Clanna Gael||1-09||St Lawrence's||1-02|
|1932||Erin's Hope||1-06||St Lawrence's||1-05|
|1931||O'Toole's||0-05, 1-08 (R)||Erin's Hope||0-05, 1-05 (R)|
|1930||St Joseph's||0-06, 2-03 (R)||O'Toole's||0-06, 1-05 (R)|
|1922||O'Toole's||0-03, 1-02 (R)||St Mary's||0-03, 0-03 (R)|
|1904||Kickhams||0-11||Isles of the Sea||0-02|
|1903||Keatings||0-07, 2-09 (R)||Geraldines||0-07, 0-05 (R)|
|1902||Championship Not Staged|
|1900||Isles of the Sea||1-05||Kickhams||1-04|
|1899||Geraldines||1-06, 1-12 (R)||Kickhams||0-09, 0-06 (R)|
|1897 [c]||Kickhams||1-07, 2-08 (R)||Cabinteely Geraldines||0-08, 2-03|
|1896||Young Irelands||3-07||Lucan Sarsfields||0-03|
|1895||Isles of the Sea||W/O||Erin's Hope||SCR|
|1892||Young Irelands||3-02||Isles of the Sea||1-00|
|1891||Young Irelands||3-07||Sons of the Sea||0-03|
|1890||Isles of the Sea||0-05||Young Irelands||0-03|
|1888||Feach McHughs||2-04||Cabinteely Geraldines||2-01|
|1887[d]||Erin's Hope||1-20||Grocers Assistants||0-01|
- ^[a] UCD refused to play due to college examinations and St. Vincent's were declared champions.
- ^[b] Sean McDermott's, insisting that they could only field a team for an afternoon throw-in rather than the scheduled eight o'clock in the evening start, conceded a walkover.
- ^[c] Geraldines lodged an objection claiming Kickhams had played an unregistered player and a replay was ordered.
- ^[d] score uncertain - all forfeit points included in score.
The second tier of the senior championship was first founded in 2016 (Senior B) and with St Oliver Plunkett's Eoghan Ruadh crowned champions. In 2017 the second tier competition was known as the Senior Football Championship Tournament and was won by Ballyboden St Enda's. In 2016 and 2017, the losers in the first round of the senior championship formed the years B championship.
In 2018, the senior football championship tournament changed name to the Senior 2 Championship. In 2018, the second tier was given a more permanent set-up. The second tier of the Dublin Championship became a proper second tier in 2018. The teams that were placed in Senior 2 can only leave the championship through promotion and relegation. Senior 2 champions gain promotion to Senior 1 and one side can also be relegated to the Dublin Intermediate football championship from 2019 onwards.
|2019||Round Towers Lusk||3-21||Whitehall Colmcille||3-10|
|2018||Thomas Davis||4-11||St Mary's||1-07|
|2017||Ballyboden St Enda's||1-17||Raheny||1-16|
|2016||St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh||0-12||Cuala||0-11|
- "Dublin GAA Clubs". Clubgaa.ie. Archived from the original on 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- "History". Brayemmets.com. Retrieved 2009-10-03.[dead link]
- "ID 9705 - dead link"
- "Ballymun Kickhams cruise to Dublin SFC victory over Ballyboden". RTE. RTE. 27 September 2020. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- "McGarry AND Basquels point way in Boden's SFC1 Victory". Dublin GAA. 4 November 2019. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "Mannion masterclass". Irish Independent. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "Diarmuid Connolly calls the shots". Irish Examiner. 31 October 2017. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Vincent's prevail against Castleknock". Grassroots GAA. 5 November 2016. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- "St Vincent's hunger far from sated after victory against Castleknock". Irish Examiner. 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Vincent's downed by 'Boden's early blitz". Irish Independent. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Dublin SFC final: Vins survive late Plunkett's comeback". Hogan Stand. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Dublin SFC Final: Vincent's comeback dethrones Ballymun". Hogan Stand. 6 November 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Ballymun Rock on to end 27-year title wait". Irish Independent. 30 October 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Ballymun beat Crokes to secure Dublin title". RTÉ News. 29 October 2012.
- Irish Press, Monday, July 03, 1961; Page: 12
- McGarrigle, Stephen. The Complete Who's Who of Irish International Football 1945–96. Mainstream Publishing.
- Evening Herald 1891-1979, Monday, June 16, 1947; Page: 8
- Evening Herald 1891-1979, Monday, June 24, 1946; Page: 6
- Evening Herald 1891-1979, Saturday, July 06, 1946; Page: 8
- Evening Herald 1891-1979, Monday, September 04, 1922; Page: 6
- Evening Herald 1891-1979, Saturday, June 11, 1921; Page: 6
- Freemans Journal 1763-1924, Monday, April 18, 1887; Page: 7