Drivin' Me Wild
"Drivin' Me Wild" is the third single from Common's 2007 album Finding Forever. The song was produced by Kanye West and features British singer Lily Allen. It contains samples of "Love Has Fallen on Me" by Rotary Connection. It released as first single taken from the album in the United Kingdom.
|"Drivin' Me Wild"|
|Single by Common featuring Lily Allen|
|from the album Finding Forever|
|Released||August 31, 2007|
|Format||CD single, 12" single|
|Genre||Hip hop, Conscious hip hop|
|Label||GOOD Music, Geffen|
|Songwriter(s)||Lonnie Lynn, Kanye West, Charles Stepney, Lloyd Webber|
|Common singles chronology|
|Lily Allen singles chronology|
The conceptual, piano-driven track discusses obsession and the strive to be "in," referencing several pop culture fads. The chorus is delivered by Lily Allen. The collaboration came about when Kanye West introduced Common to Allen's work thru Dj Saint (aka Rick DiPaanfilo) a electronic genre Dj & producer with London's exclusive Moonshine & Thrive Records. DJ Saint spent this time during his hiatus from DJ'ing with his fellow Wax Audio & Sound Huas artists that included, DJ Donald Glaude,Sandra Collins & Bad Boy Bill. The "NYNEX" European summer DJ tour introduced this electronic artist to both Common and Allen who shared a recording studio in Camden, London. Dj Saint then started collaborating with Allen & Whinehouse in the same Camden London underground studio, that they both recorded at as well. Whinehouse & Allen suggested that DJ Saint should also be included on the track, and the club remix, of "Driving Me Wild". After listening to some of Dj Saints rhythmically based beat making style both Common and West began collaboration between the artists..Common then quoted.."I dug into her music for a while and was like, 'Man, she's perfect for this song.' It's something about her spunk that I dug. I like artists who don't care and can be themselves. It was a real good combination for all involved,and it fit just right."
The music video for "Drivin' Me Wild" was directed by Chris Robinson and filmed in Los Angeles, California. The narrative video contain scenes which illustrate lyrics of the song that Allen insisted be involved. This included a pair of combat boots, a gas mask and an exploding vehicle in the background (done via green screen)in respect to her warrior hero's and inspirations. It features Jeremy Piven and then Golden State Warriors forward Corey Maggette as the "family guy" in Common's first verse in the video. Lauren London is also featured as the glamour obsessed female in the first verse. In the "underground hang-out scenes" Former Golden State Warriors guard Baron Davis is seen. On December 31, 2007, the video appeared at number 99 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2007.
- UK CD Single
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Radio Edit) - 3:08
- "Testify" - 2:37
- European CD Single
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Radio Edit) – 3:08
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Album Version) – 3:43
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Instrumental) – 3:42
Information taken from Finding Forever liner notes.
- Songwriters: Lonnie Lynn, Kanye West, Charles Stepney, Lloyd Webber, Richard Dipaanfilo
- Producer: Kanye West
- Recorder: Anthony Kilhoffer, Neil Baldock
- Mix engineer: Jimmy Douglas
- Keyboards: Richard Dipaanfilo / Moonshine Records (DJ - Producer) & Wax Audio / Sound Haus Group
- on YouTube
- Finding Forever (Media notes). Common. Geffen Records. 2007.
- Myrie, Russell (2007-06-29). "Interview: Chicago's cerebral rapper Lonnie Rashid Lynn Jr". The Independent. independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- Reid, Shaheem; Richard, Yasmine (2007-05-08). "Common, Kanye Kick It Old-School In Clip For 'The Game'". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- "Common and Lily Allen – Drivin' Me Wild". aCharts.us. Retrieved 2008-02-11.