Drivin' Me Wild
"Drivin' Me Wild" is the third single from Common's 2007 album Finding Forever. The song was produced by Kanye West and features British singer Lily Allen. It contains samples of "Love Has Fallen on Me" by Rotary Connection. It released as first single taken from the album in the United Kingdom.
|"Drivin' Me Wild"|
|Single by Common featuring Lily Allen|
|from the album Finding Forever|
|Released||August 31, 2007|
|Format||CD single, 12" single|
|Genre||Hip hop, Conscious hip hop|
|Label||GOOD Music, Geffen|
|Songwriter(s)||Lonnie Lynn, Kanye West, Charles Stepney, Lloyd Webber|
|Common singles chronology|
|Lily Allen singles chronology|
The conceptual, piano-driven track discusses obsession and the strive to be "in," referencing several pop culture fads. The chorus is delivered by Lily Allen. The collaboration came about when Kanye West introduced Common to Allen's work thru Dj Saint (aka Rick D) who spent time collaborating with Allen & Whinehouse in a Camden London underground studio and suggested that she be included on the record. After listening to some of her music, Common took a liking to Allen's style.. Saying, "I was like 'OK, let me check.' I dug into her music for a while and was like, 'Man, she's perfect for this song.' It's something about her spunk that I dug. I like artists who don't care and can be themselves. It was a real good combination, it fit right."
The music video for "Drivin' Me Wild" was directed by Chris Robinson and filmed in Los Angeles, California. The narrative video contain scenes which illustrate lyrics of the song that Allen insisted be involved. This included a pair of combat boots, a gas mask and an exploding vehicle in the background (done via green screen)in respect to her warrior hero's and inspirations. It features Jeremy Piven and then Golden State Warriors forward Corey Maggette as the "family guy" in Common's first verse in the video. Lauren London is also featured as the glamour obsessed female in the first verse. In the "underground hang-out scenes" Former Golden State Warriors guard Baron Davis is seen. On December 31, 2007, the video appeared at number 99 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2007.
- UK CD Single
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Radio Edit) - 3:08
- "Testify" - 2:37
- European CD Single
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Radio Edit) – 3:08
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Album Version) – 3:43
- "Drivin' Me Wild" (Instrumental) – 3:42
Information taken from Finding Forever liner notes.
- Songwriters: Lonnie Lynn, Kanye West, Charles Stepney, Lloyd Webber, Richard Dipaanfilo
- Producer: Kanye West
- Recorder: Anthony Kilhoffer, Neil Baldock
- Mix engineer: Jimmy Douglas
- Keyboards: Richard Dipaanfilo
- on YouTube
- Finding Forever (Media notes). Common. Geffen Records. 2007.
- Myrie, Russell (2007-06-29). "Interview: Chicago's cerebral rapper Lonnie Rashid Lynn Jr". The Independent. independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- Reid, Shaheem; Richard, Yasmine (2007-05-08). "Common, Kanye Kick It Old-School In Clip For 'The Game'". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- "Common and Lily Allen – Drivin' Me Wild". aCharts.us. Retrieved 2008-02-11.