Donald Russell (classicist)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Donald Andrew Frank Moore Russell, classicist and academic. He was Professor of Classical Literature at the University of Oxford between 1985 and 1988, and a Fellow and tutor of classics at St John's College, Oxford, from 1948 to 1988: he was an Emeritus Professor and Emeritus Fellow. Russell died in February 2020 at the age of 99.(13 October 1920 – 9 February 2020) was a British
|Born||13 October 1920|
|Died||9 February 2020(aged 99)|
From 1948 to 1988, he was a Fellow of St John's College, Oxford, of which he was subsequently an emeritus fellow. As of October 2013, Russell was just the third fellow in the history of St John's to have reached the 65 year anniversary milestone of his election to the fellowship. From 1952 to 1978, he was a university lecturer in classical literature at the University of Oxford. He was Reader in Classical Literature from 1978 to 1985, and Professor of Classical Literature from 1985 to 1988.
In 1981, he delivered the J H Gray Lectures at the University of Cambridge. He was a visiting professor at the University of North Carolina in 1985 and from 1989 to 1991, a visiting professor at Stanford University.
This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (December 2012)
- Russell, Donald (1964). Longinus On the Sublime, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- Russell, Donald (1972). Plutarch, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald; and M Winterbottom (1972). Ancient Literary Criticism, Oxford University Press
- Russell, Donald (1981). Criticism in Antiquity, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald; and N G Wilson (1981). Menander Rhetor, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald (1983). Greek Declamation, Cambridge University Press
- Russell, Donald (1990). Anthology of Latin Prose, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- Russell, Donald (1991). Anthology of Greek Prose, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- Russell, Donald (1992). Dio Chrysostom, Orations 7, 12, 36, Cambridge University Press
- Russell, Donald (1993). Plutarch: Selected Essays and Dialogues, Oxford University Press
- Russell, Donald (1996). Libanius: Imaginary Speeches, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald (2001). Quintilian: The orator’s education (Loeb Translation), Harvard University Press
- Russell, Donald; and D Konstan (2005). Heraclitus: Homeric problems, Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature
- Russell, Donald; and R Hunter (2011). Plutarch: How to Study Poetry, Cambridge University Press
- Russell, Donald; Dillon, J and Gertz, S. (forthcoming) 'Aeneas of Gaza: Theophrastus with Zacharias of Mytilene: Ammonius (Ancient Commentators on Aristotle)', Bristol Classical Press. 978-1780932095
- "Prof Donald Russell, FBA Authorised Biography – Debrett's People of Today, Prof Donald Russell, FBA Profile". Debretts.com. 1920-10-13. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- Professor Donald Russell FBA
- "Russell, Prof. Donald Andrew Frank Moore". Who's Who 2019. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2013-10-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)