Don't Wanna Fall in Love
"Don't Wanna Fall in Love" is a 1990 hit song for Toronto-born singer Jane Child. Released as the second single from her self-titled debut album, the single went to number two for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in late April and early May 1990, kept out of the top spot by Sinéad O'Connor's recording of "'Nothing Compares 2 U". In addition, a "new jack swing" remix of the song was produced by Teddy Riley and reached number six on the R&B chart, and number eleven on the dance chart. Shep Pettibone also remixed the single, but was only released to DJ's. When released around Europe, it also became successful albeit more modestly. In the UK, the single stalled at number 22 after Child refused to appear on the popular British TV program Top of the Pops while the single was climbing the charts, considering the program to be a "sellout".
|"Don't Wanna Fall in Love"|
|Single by Jane Child|
|from the album Jane Child|
|Jane Child singles chronology|
It is Child's best known song and only top 40 hit, making her a one-hit wonder in the public eye.
In 2013, the song was featured on Grand Theft Auto V's soundtrack, as part of the radio station Non-Stop Pop's playlist.
The music video shot in B&W and in color, was filmed in New York City by cinematographer Derek M. Allen at the request of Child, due to having written the song while living there. In it, Child is seen walking through downtown Manhattan at night, alternating with scenes of the artist at work, laying down tracks on a Fairlight and mixing the results on a multitrack board.
In popular cultureEdit
- Stylus Magazine Archived February 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 117.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 57.
- RIAA Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - Jane Child Singles[permanent dead link]. RIAA.com. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada".
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love". Singles Top 100.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Jane Child Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Jane Child Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Jane Child Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Top 100 Adult Contemporary Tracks of 1990". RPM. December 22, 1990. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1990". Archived from the original on 2010-01-17. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-29. Retrieved 2015-11-10.