Domingos Montagner Filho (26 February 1962 – 15 September 2016) was a Brazilian actor, playwright and entrepreneur. He began his career in theaters and circuses, through the course of interpretation of Myriam Muniz. In 1997, Montagner formed La Mínima group, alongside Fernando Sampaio, and won the Shell Award for Best Actor. In 2003, he founded the Zanni Circus, of which he was artistic director.
Domingos Montagner Filho|
26 February 1962
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
15 September 2016 (aged 54)|
Canindé de São Francisco, Sergipe, Brazil
|Cause of death||Drowning|
|Resting place||Quarta Parada Cemetery, São Paulo|
|Occupation||Actor, producer, clown|
(m. 2002; his death 2016)
Leo (b. 2003)|
Antônio (b. 2007)
Dante (b. 2012)
He began his career on TV, three years later, but gained national notoriety after portraying Captain Herculano in the soap opera Cordel Encantado (2011), Mundo in Joia Rara (2013), and Miguel in Sete Vidas (2015). In cinema, he participated in the feature film Gonzaga: de Pai pra Filho (2012). He became "one of Brazil's most loved TV actors."
In 2016, Montagner portrayed Santo dos Anjos, the protagonist of the soap opera Velho Chico, broadcast by Rede Globo, his last work. In a break between filming, he drowned while swimming in the São Francisco River, the main setting of the aforementioned television drama.
Biography and careerEdit
Montagner was born in São Paulo's neighborhood of Tatuapé in a family of Italian Brazilians. He began working at sixteen in the bar of his parents in Tatuapé, where he worked as an office boy and archivist in an engineering company. Slender, at 6 ft 3in 1,90 m tall, he became an athlete of the Sport Club Corinthians Paulista playing handball.
Montagner was Second Lieutenant of the Brazilian Army and after leaving military service graduated in physical education, teaching in the 80s in public and private schools in São Paulo. It was so nearly eleven years when he began his artistic career at 27 years old.
He was a Roman Catholic.
His artistic career began in the circus, in his theater company La Mínima in 1980. In 1990, Montagner joined the theater as a clown.
Montagner became a star of Brazilian television despite the fact that his first major television role did not come until he was 46 years old. His first television series was Cordel Encantado of Rede Globo. Oe made a few appearances on the television shows Força-Tarefa and A Cura. He also participated in the show Divã, portraying Carlos Alencar, the lover of the protagonist Mercedes, played by actress Lília Cabral. In 2012, he played the role of President Paulo Ventura in the miniseries O Brado Retumbante. In the same year, he played in Salve Jorge the Turkish tour guide Zyah, who falls in love with Bianca, Cléo Pires' character. In 2013, he played the role of the activist Mundo in Joia Rara.
In 2015, he was cast as the protagonist of Sete Vidas, in the role of Miguel, a man who discovers that he has seven children, after being a sperm donor. His last performance was in 2016 in the soap opera Velho Chico, interpreting the character Santo dos Anjos.
Married since 2002 to Luciana Lima, administrative producer of La Minimum group, Montagner claimed that his wife would encourage him the most. In 2013 ,the family moved to Rio de Janeiro, but settled in Embu das Artes, in Greater São Paulo, about 25 km from the capital, in a quiet fenced residential condominium with their three sons.
On 15 September 2016, during the lunch break of the filming for Velho Chico, Montagner jumped into the São Francisco River, in the city of Canindé de São Francisco, state of Sergipe, but did not return to the mainland. Actress Camila Pitanga was swimming with Montagner and saw him disappearing into the water, dragged by a strong current. She screamed for help, being initially mistaken as if she was filming a scene. After realizing that the actress was screaming out of panic, the crew immediately stood up to check what was happening, as a boat came to rescue her. Montagner went missing for four hours until his body was found submerged and lifeless. According to reports the Legal Medical Institute (IML) of Sergipe, the result of the autopsy performed Montagner's body pointed out that the actor died of mechanical asphyxia by drowning. The Brazilian version of online magazine The Intercept speculated that the strong currents where the actor drowned were caused by the hydroelectric dam, the Usina Hidrelétrica de Xingó (Xingó Dam), upstream. The dam lies approximately two kilometers upstream, and the flow rate allowed through the dam can affect currents.
At the time of his death, the filming of Velho Chico was just a few days from completion. However, climactic scenes for the finale, in which Montagner was the main character, hadn't been filmed yet. Production decided to complete the job as scheduled. Scenes in which Montagner's character, Santo, would have appeared would be shot from the character's point of view.Thus, Santo would be present in the scene, but would not be seen.
Weeks prior to the casualty, Rede Globo aired a scene where Santo would be saved by Indians, who found him unconscious floating on the São Francisco River, having been shot by his enemy. The river was the same where the actor lost his life.
|A Cura||Ezequiel's father|
|Cordel Encantado||Captain Herculano Araújo|
|2012||O Brado Retumbante||Paulo Ventura|
|Gonzaga: De Pai pra Filho||Colonel Raimundo|
|2013||Joia Rara||Raimundo Fonseca (Mundo)|
|2015||Sete Vidas||João Miguel Oliveira Sanches|
|Romance Policial – Espinosa||Espinosa|
|2016||Velho Chico||Santo dos Anjos||(final television appearance)|
|2012||A Noite dos Palhaços Mudos (short film)||Clown|
|Gonzaga – de Pai pra Filho||Colonel Raimundo|
|2014||A Grande Vitória||Cesar Trombini|
|Tarja Branca – A Revolução que Faltava|||
|2015||Através da Sombra||Afonso|
|2016||De Onde Eu te Vejo||Fabio|
|Um Namorado Para Minha Mulher||Corvo|
|2017||Bingo: The King of the Mornings||clown Aparício|
|2001||À La Carte|
|2003||Piratas do Tietê, O Filme|
|2006||Feia – Uma comédia circense|
|2008||A Noite dos Palhaços Mudos|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2011||Prêmio Extra de Televisão||Male Revelation||Nominated|||
|Prêmio Globo de Melhores do Ano||Best Revelation Actor||Won|||
|Prêmio Quem de Televisão||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|||
|2012||Prêmio Contigo! de TV||TV Revelation||Won|||
|2013||Prêmio Contigo! de TV||Best Actor of Series or Miniseries||Won|||
|Prêmio Quem de Televisão||Best Actor||Nominated|||
|2015||Troféu APCA||Best Actor||Nominated|||
|2016||Prêmio Extra de Televisão||Best Actor||Won (posthumously)|
- "Corpo de Domingos Montagner é encontrado; ator morre aos 54 anos" [Body of Domingos Montagner is found; actor dies at 54]. Extra (in Portuguese). 15 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Madeiro, Carlos; Pacheco, Paulo (15 September 2016). "Domingos Montagner está desaparecido no rio São Francisco" [Domingos Montagner is disappeared in the São Francisco River]. UOL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Rowe, Dominique (16 September 2016). "One of Brazil's Most Loved TV Stars Domingos Montagner Has Drowned". Time Magazine. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Brazil TV star Domingos Montagner drowns on set of soap opera". BBC. 16 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Thousands attend funeral of Brazil soap star Montagner". BBC. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Queiroz, Rosane (8 November 2013). "Domingos Montagner". Revista Status (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Pinheiro, Raquel (21 November 2012). "Domingos Montagner: "Eu não me acho gato, estou longe disso" – Edição 636 (16/11/2012)" [Domingos Montagner: "I do not think I am hunk, I am far away from this" – Edition 636 (16 November 2012)]. Revista Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Domingos Montagner morre aos 54 anos" [Domingos Montagner dies at 54]. MSN.com (in Portuguese). 15 September 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "O Brado Retumbante: minissérie traz Domingos Montagner de presidente" [O Brado Retumbante: miniseries brings Domingos Montagner as president]. Rede Globo (in Portuguese). 28 November 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Marques, Carolina (15 December 2012). "'Salve Jorge': como o turco Zyah, Domingos Montagner rouba de Rodrigo Lombardi o posto de galã" ['Salve Jorge': as the Turk Zyah, Domingos Montagner steals from Rodrigo Lombardi the position of leading man]. Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Com personagem resistente ao casamento, Domingos diz: 'Quando decidi, fui em frente'" [With a marriage-resistant character, Domingos says: 'When I decided, I went ahead']. Gshow (in Portuguese). 4 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Domingos Montagner vai protagonizar novela de Lícia Manzo para 2015" [Domingos Montagner will star in soap opera of Lícia Manzo for 2015]. F5 (in Portuguese). 2 June 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Bittencourt, Carla (9 August 2014). "Domingos Montagner terá sete filhos em próxima novela das seis, 'Sete vidas'" [Domingos Montagner will have seven children in the next soap opera of 6 pm, 'Sete Vidas']. Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Domingos Montagner passa por apuros ao gravar cena de acidente para novela" [Domingos Montagner goes through trouble to record accident scene for soap opera]. O Globo (in Portuguese). 3 January 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Cunha, Gustavo (8 March 2015). "Mocinho de 'Sete vidas', Domingos Montagner fala sobre posto de galã: 'Ninguém nunca me chamou para isso!'" [The goody of 'Sete Vidas', Domingos Montagner talks about the position of leading man: 'No one ever called me to this!']. Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Castro, Natalia (8 March 2015). "Ao contrário de Miguel, um navegador solitário em 'Sete vidas', Domingos Montagner é apegado à família" [Unlike Miguel, a solitary navigator in 'Sete Vidas', Domingos Montagner is attached to his family]. O Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Neves, Carla; Moratelli, Valmir; Laureano, Paula (15 September 2016). "Domingos Montagner desaparece no Rio São Francisco; Buscas continuam" [Domingos Montagner disappears in the São Francisco River; Search continues]. Revista Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Nogueira, Amanda; Pessoa, Gabriela Sá; Menezes, Danielle (15 September 2016). "Domingos Montagner é encontrado morto submerso no rio São Francisco" [Domingos Montagner is found dead submerged in the São Francisco River]. Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Gonçalves, Joelma; Andrade, Tássio (16 September 2016). "Montagner morreu por asfixia mecânica por afogamento, diz IML" [Montagner died of mechanical asphyxia by drowning, says the Legal Medical Institute]. G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Borges, Helena (16 September 2016). "A morte de Domingos Montagner e os índios da bacia do Xingu" [The death of Domingos Montagner and the Indians of the Xingu basin]. The Intercept Brasil (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Costa, Raquel (18 September 2016). "Personagem de Domingos Montagner mantém-se até ao fim da novela" [Character of Domingos Montagner remains until the end of the soap opera]. Jornal de Notícias (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Domingos Montagner, de "Velho Chico", é encontrado morto no rio São Francisco" [Domingos Montagner, of "Velho Chico", is found dead in the São Francisco River]. Brasileiros (in Portuguese). 15 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "GNT estréia, em outubro, a terceira temporada de 'Mothern', série co-produzida com a Mixer" [GNT premieres, in October, the third season of 'Mothern', series co-produced with Mixer]. Portal da Propaganda (in Portuguese). 29 August 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Araújo, Amanda (26 October 2012). "Entrevista com Domingos Montagner, o turco Zyah" [Interview with Domingos Montagner, the Turk Zyah]. Alto Astral (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Vieira, Matheus (22 October 2013). "Domingos Montagner vive mais um triângulo amoroso com Mundo" [Domingos Montagner lives another love triangle with Mundo]. Extra (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- De Almeida, Giselle (10 September 2015). "Domingos Montagner dispensa dublê em cenas de ação de série policial" [Domingos Montagner dismiss stuntman in action scenes of police series]. UOL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Villalba, Patrícia (24 September 2015). "Domingos Montagner estrela noir praiano no GNT" [Domingos Montagner stars beach related noir on GNT]. Veja (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "PAREDES NUAS – 33ª Mostra Internacional de Cinema em São Paulo – UOL Cinema" [PAREDES NUAS – 33th São Paulo International Film Festival – UOL Cinema]. UOL Entretenimento (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "A Noite dos Palhaços Mudos" [The Night of the Dumb Clowns]. Porta Curtas (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Novais, Fernando (18 May 2014). "A Grande Vitória" [The Great Victory]. Mundo Blá! (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Kalena, Fernanda (6 August 2014). "Tarja Branca retrata a importância do brincar na vida adulta" [Drops of Joy portrays the importance of the play in adulthood]. Portal Aprendiz (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Elenco de "Através da Sombra" prestigia pré-estreia do filme em SP" [Cast of "The Other Side of the Win" prestige premiere of the film in São Paulo]. UOL Entretenimento (in Portuguese). 3 November 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "De Onde Eu te Vejo" [Seeing You]. Globo Filmes (in Portuguese). 7 April 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "'Um namorado para minha mulher' ganha o primeiro trailer; assista" ['A Boyfriend for My Wife' have its first trailer; watch it]. G1 (in Portuguese). 27 July 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- ""O Rei das Manhãs": mulheres, drogas e a trajetória do palhaço Bozo" ["A Clown's Life": women, drugs, and the trajectory of the clown Bozo]. A Gambiarra (in Portuguese). 30 November 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Grupo La Mínima de São Paulo traz humor circense a Ouro Preto e Mariana" [The group La Mínima from São Paulo brings circus humor to Ouro Preto and Mariana]. Jornal Voz Ativa (in Portuguese). 30 August 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Alves Jr., Dirceu. "A Noite dos Palhaços Mudos" [The Night of the Dumb Clowns]. Veja São Paulo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Mistero Buffo". Mostra de Teatro Panorama Petrobras Distribuidora de Cultura (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Prêmio Extra de TV: Chay Suede, de 'Rebelde', ganha o prêmio de revelação masculina" [Extra TV Award: Chay Suede, from 'Rebelde', wins the award of male revelation]. Extra (in Portuguese). 29 November 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Rossi, Luana (31 March 2012). "Domingos Montagner é eleito revelação aos 50 anos: "Eu me sinto jovem"" [Domingos Montagner is elected revelation at age 50: "I feel young"]. Revista Quem (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Prêmio QUEM 2011: Conheça os vencedores" [QUEM Award 2011: Meet the winners]. Revista Quem (in Portuguese). 6 December 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Prêmio Contigo, Brazil (2012)" [Contigo Award, Brazil (2012)]. IMDb.com. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Sakai, Renata (14 May 2013). "Adriana Esteves vence prêmio Contigo de melhor atriz" [Adriana Esteves wins Contigo award for best actress]. R7 Entretenimento (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- ""Avenida Brasil" é a grande vencedora do Prêmio Contigo!" ["Brazil Avenue" is the big winner of the Contigo! Award]. UOL (in Portuguese). 13 May 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Prêmio QUEM 2013: Conheça os finalistas na categoria televisão; Votação encerrada!" [QUEM Award 2013: Meet the finalists in the television category; Voting closed!]. Revista Quem (in Portuguese). 8 January 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Xavier, Nilson (2 December 2015). "APCA elege os melhores do Ano na TV. "Verdades Secretas" leva mais prêmios" [The São Paulo Association of Art Critics elects the best of the Year on TV. "Verdades Secretas" takes more awards]. UOL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Xavier, Nilson (4 November 2015). "Conheça os finalistas da APCA aos melhores de 2015 na Televisão" [Meet the finalists of the São Paulo Association of Art Critics for the best of 2015 on Television]. UOL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 17 September 2016.