Do Not Sell At Any Price
Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records is a 2014 book by American music journalist Amanda Petrusich.
|July 8, 2014|
|Media type||Print, Ebook|
|Website||Do Not Sell At Any Price|
Development and publicationEdit
Do Not Sell At Any Price grew out of research for a piece Petrusich wrote for Spin circa 2010; in reporting on the renewed commercial interest in vinyl records, she met collector John Heneghan and became interested in the project of record collecting. As a critic inundated by new music seeking review, she was intrigued by the scarcity that drove collectors of 78s.
Do Not Sell At Any Price was widely and favorably reviewed. Randall Roberts described the book in the Los Angeles Times as a "thoughtful, entertaining history of obsessed music collectors and their quest for rare early 78 rpm records." In Flavorwire, Jillian Mapes says Petrusich "captures the...weird beauty and legitimate historical importance" of collecting physical records: "This book will make you consider, and possibly rethink, digital music culture." Writing in Paste Magazine, Elias Leight says that even in the context of Petrusich's "stellar resume", Do Not Sell At Any Price may be "her most compelling and inventive [work] yet."
- White, Caitlin (10 March 2016). "Brooklyn 100: Amanda Petrusich, Writer, Critic and Professor". Brooklyn Magazine. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Dean, Eddie (2014-07-11). "Book Review: 'Do Not Sell at Any Price' by Amanda Petrusich & 'Pioneers of the Blues Revival' by Steve Cushing". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- "DO NOT SELL AT ANY PRICE by Amanda Petrusich | Kirkus Reviews". Kirkus Reviews. April 20, 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Music Journalist Chronicles The 'Wild Obsessive Hunt' For Rare 78 RPM Records". Fresh Air. NPR. August 11, 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Rohter, Larry (21 July 2014). "'Do Not Sell at Any Price' and 'Dust & Grooves'". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Mazor, Barry (July 3, 2014). "Revival Revival". New Republic. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Roberts, Randall (3 July 2014). "'Do Not Sell at Any Price's' hunters stalk rare 78 rpm records". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Mapes, Jillian (9 July 2014). "Staff Picks: Flavorwire's Favorite Cultural Things This Week". Flavorwire. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Leight, Elias (August 20, 2014). "Do Not Sell At Any Price by Amanda Petrusich Review". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 6 July 2017.