Dmitry Vladimirovich Kulikov (Russian: Дми́трий Влади́мирович Кулико́в; born 29 October 1990) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman for the Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted by the Florida Panthers in the first round, 14th overall, at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He has previously played for the Panthers, Buffalo Sabres, Winnipeg Jets, New Jersey Devils and the Edmonton Oilers.
29 October 1990|
Lipetsk, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||204 lb (93 kg; 14 st 8 lb)|
New Jersey Devils
14th overall, 2009|
Kulikov began his career in his homeland Russia with Lokomotiv-2 Yaroslavl in the Pervaya Liga, and left his club in November 2008 to sign for the Drummondville Voltigeurs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) in North America. In his lone season with Drummondville, Kulikov led all QMJHL defencemen with 62 points in 57 games, and took home a slew of post-season awards, including the Emile Bouchard Trophy as the QMJHL Defenceman of the Year, the Raymond Lagacé Trophy as the Defensive Rookie of the Year and the Mike Bossy Trophy as the League's top professional prospect.
After his rookie year with the Voltigeurs, Kulikov was drafted by the Florida Panthers 14th overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, and was later signed to a professional contract the club on 29 September 2009.
Despite his age, Kulikov managed to play in 68 games with Florida in his rookie season, 2009–10, displaying high levels of skill and confidence. Panthers General Manager Dale Tallon expressed that the Panthers organization had high expectations of Kulikov for the future.
On 18 July 2014, Kulikov signed a three-year, $13 million contract extension with the Panthers, worth $4.3 million annually.
On 25 June 2016, Kulikov was traded to the Buffalo Sabres, along with the 33rd overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft in exchange for defenceman Mark Pysyk and picks 38 and 89 in the 2016 draft. In the 2016–17 season, Kulikov's time with the Sabres was largely affected through injury. In the last year of his contract, he appeared in 47 games to produce a career low 2 goals and 5 points.
After the completion of his contract with the Jets, Kulikov left as a free agent and on 22 October 2020, he was signed to a one-year, $1.15 million contract with the New Jersey Devils. In the pandemic delayed 2020–21 season, Kulikov brought a sound defensive game to the Devils, registering 2 assists through 38 regular season games. With the Devils out of playoff contention, Kulikov was dealt at the trade deadline to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for a conditional fourth-round selection in 2022 on 12 April 2021.
At the conclusion of his contract with the Oilers, Kulikov left as a free agent and on 28 July 2021, was signed to a two-year, $4.5 million contract with the Minnesota Wild.
|2015 Czech Republic|
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2020–21||New Jersey Devils||NHL||38||0||2||2||26||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Prospect Dmitry Kulikov Player Profile". Hockey's Future. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- "Cats sign Kulikov". Florida Panthers. 29 September 2009. Retrieved 29 September 2009.
- "Dmitri Kulikov profile". The Hockey News. 2 October 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "Panthers Re-Sign Kulikov to Three-Year, $13M Deal". TSN. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Sabres acquire defenseman Dmitri Kulikov in deal with Panthers". ESPN. 25 June 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Jets sign Dmitri Kulikov". Winnipeg Jets. 1 July 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Devils sign Kulikov". New Jersey Devils. 22 October 2020. Retrieved 22 October 2020.
- "Oilers acquire Kulikov from New Jersey Devils". Edmonton Oilers. 12 April 2021. Retrieved 12 April 2021.
- "Wild signs defenseman Dmitri Kulikov". Minnesota Wild. 28 July 2021. Retrieved 28 July 2021.
- "Russian Hockey NHL Prospects – Dmitry Kulikov Florida Panthers". Russianprospects.com. 2 October 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2010.