Dina Ezz El-Dine Zulfikar (Egyptian Arabic: دينا ذو الفقار, ‘Dīna Zū al-Fiqār, ‘Dina Zulficar, ‘Dina Zulfakar; born April 22, 1962) is an Egyptian environmentalist, film distributor and animal, wildlife rights activist. She is a member of the Animal welfare and rights in the Netherlands.
|دينا ذو الفقار|
Dina Ezz El-Dine Zulfikar
April 22, 1962
|Occupation||Film distributor • environmentalist • activist|
|Relatives||Ahmed Mourad Bey Zulfikar (Grandfather)|
Early life and educationEdit
Dina Zulfikar was born in 1962 in Zamalek district of Cairo, to Ezz El-Dine Zulfikar, filmmaker, previously a military officer and Kawthar Shafika, actress. She had a great sympathy towards animals in her childhood. Her activism began while she was a student at Cairo University. Zulfikar teamed up with her childhood friend Amina Abaza and together they established SPARE Animal Welfare Society.
Zulfikar graduated from Cairo University in 1983, majoring in Business Administration. She worked in the US Military Cooperation Office in Egypt, and established the Arab Celebrity website. She also owned a film distribution company in Egypt and France, and then devoted herself entirely to animal rights. Recently, Dina Zulfikar called for the inclusion of articles in the Egyptian constitution for the welfare of animals and the preservation of wildlife. She also called for improving the living conditions of animals in zoos and for the application of international standards. She became one of Egypt's most determined and dedicated animal welfare advocates.
- ^ "Dina Zulfikar: Egypt's lead animal welfare activist". Egypt Independent. 2011-04-29. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ Hayter-Menzies, Grant (2018-02-01). The Lost War Horses of Cairo: The Passion of Dorothy Brooke. Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-1-76063-881-8.
- ^ Zuhur, Sherifa (1992-01-01). Revealing Reveiling: Islamist Gender Ideology in Contemporary Egypt. SUNY Press. ISBN 978-0-7914-0927-5.
- ^ "دينا ذو الفقار: لا توجد ثقافة لتربية الحيوانات المستأنسة والبرية في مصر". جريدة المال (in Arabic). 2021-10-28. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ "ناشطة تتظاهر أمام "الشورى" لوضع مواد لحماية الحيوانات فى الدستور". اليوم السابع (in Arabic). 2012-10-20. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ Foundry, The Theme. "Zoe: News & Views - Dina Zulfikar at World Animal Day in Egypt". Earth in Transition. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- ^ "Chinese demand for hides threatens Egypt's donkey population - Al-Monitor: Independent, trusted coverage of the Middle East". www.al-monitor.com. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ The Conflict between Humans Rights and Animals Rights In Egypt : An Interview with Dina Zulfikar, retrieved 2023-01-29
- ^ "Animal rights advocates in Egypt call for laws to be activated. - Free Online Library". www.thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- ^ Hayter-Menzies, Grant (2017-11-01). Dorothy Brooke and the Fight to Save Cairo's Lost War Horses. U of Nebraska Press. ISBN 978-1-61234-769-1.
- ^ "Trois ans de prison pour avoir tué un chien en Égypte". Les Observateurs - France 24 (in French). 2015-03-13. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ "Prominent Egyptian animal rights activist dies in a fire saving her cats - Politics - Egypt". Ahram Online. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- ^ "Dina Zulfikar: Egypt's lead animal welfare activist". Egypt Independent. 2011-04-29. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- ^ "Dina Zulfikar Archives". Animals 24-7. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- ^ "A Round with Dina". FilmFreeway. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- ^ "Egyptians fear for historic Giza Zoo as UAE investor steps in". Middle East Eye. Retrieved 2023-01-30.