This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Digi International is an American Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) technology company headquartered in Hopkins, Minnesota. The company was founded in 1985 as DigiBoard and went public as Digi International in 1989. The company initially offered intelligent ISA/PCI boards (the 'DigiBoard') with multiple asynchronous serial interfaces for PCs. Currently, multi-port serial boards are still part of the product line-up, but the company is focusing on embedded and external network (wired and wireless) communication solutions[buzzword] as well as enterprise-class USB products. The company has a full line of radio modems and embedded modules based on current LTE (4G) communications platforms.
|Traded as||NASDAQ: DGII|
S&P 600 Component
|Industry||Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)|
Number of locations
|United States, Canada, Australia, Germany, Spain, UK, Singapore, China, Japan|
Number of employees
Digi International has acquired a number of companies since it went public.
- 2019 Digi acquired Opengear, a provider of smart out-of-band infrastructure management products.
- 2018 Digi acquired Accelerated, a provider of secure, enterprise-grade, cellular (LTE) networking equipment for primary and backup connectivity applications.
- 2017 Digi acquired TempAlert, a provider of temperature and task management for retail pharmacy, food service, and industrial applications
- 2017 Digi acquired SMART Temps, LLC, a provider of real-time food service temperature management for restaurant, grocery, education and hospital settings as well as real-time temperature management for healthcare.
- 2016 Digi acquired FreshTemps, a provider of temperature monitoring and task management solutions[buzzword] for the food industry. The technology will be leveraged within Digi's Honeycomb solution.[buzzword]
- 2015 Digi acquired Bluenica, a Toronto-based cold chain solutions[buzzword] provider
- 2012 Digi acquired Etherios a Chicago-based salesforce.com Platinum Partner.
- 2009 Digi acquired Mobiapps a fabless manufacturer of satellite modems on the Orbcomm satellite network.
- 2008 Digi acquired Spectrum Design Solutions Inc. a design services company specializing in Wireless Design technologies.
- 2008 Digi acquired a European manufacturer of cellular router products, Sarian Systems Ltd. in a $30.5M deal.
- 2006 Digi acquired MaxStream, a company that specialized in wireless technology primarily for embedded electronics is purchased for $38.8M
- 2005 Digi acquired FS Forth-Systeme GmbH (Breisach, Germany) and Sistemas Embebidos S.A. (Logroño, Spain), manufacturers of embedded processor modules using Net Silicon and other processor platforms.
- 2005 Digi acquires Rabbit Semiconductor a manufacturer of Z180 based silicon, embedded modules and Single Board Computers.
- 2002 Digi acquired Net Silicon a fabless manufacturer of ARM based micro processors with a focus on networking.
- 2001 Digi acquired Decision Europe a French company with its brand name Xcell Technology for the serial TCP/IP products and Remote Access Server.
- 1998 Digi acquired ITK International, Inc. (ITK), a Dortmund, Germany leading provider of open systems, remote access solutions[buzzword] for small- and medium-sized businesses, including a Voice over Internet Protocol (IP) gateway product
- 1998 Digi acquired Central Data Corp, a Champagne, IL innovator of high-performance serial port solutions[buzzword] for local and remote access connectivity, including a full line of Universal Serial Bus (USB) products
- 1991 Digi acquired Arnet Corp, out of Nashville, TN
Cellular Enterprise RoutersEdit
The Digi TransPort WR family of cellular routers provides secure high-speed wireless connectivity to remote sites for primary or backup wireless broadband network connectivity.
Digi's multi-functional, enterprise class wireless cellular routers and WiMAX routers with optional Gobi support are designed for enterprise, retail, transportation, financial, remote office and network backup applications.
The product family includes the following cellular routers:
- Digi TransPort WR11
- Digi TransPort WR21
- Digi TransPort WR44
- Digi TransPort WR44R
- Digi TransPort WR44RR
Digi XBee and Long Range RadiosEdit
Digi International manufactures a variety of RF solutions[buzzword], both on the module level as well as long-range ethernet and serial modems. Digi XBee is the brand name for Digi International’s family of form factor compatible radio modules. The family of modules consist of a wide variety of radios that support a number of wireless protocols and are certified for worldwide use.
In addition to the Digi XBee line of RF modules, Digi manufactures a variety of 900 MHz modems built for long range communications. In early 2015, the Digi XLR PRO was announced. This 900 MHz has a LOS range over 100 miles. The radio uses patent-pending Punch2 Technology to block out interference from near-by radios and achieve a high quality link over long distances.
Long Range 900 MHz Radios
- Dig XLR PRO
- XPress Ethernet Bridge
Digi offers a number of solutions[buzzword] on module based on Freescale’s i.MX processors. The most recent addition to these embedded solutions[buzzword] is the Digi ConnectCore 6. The Digi ConnectCore 6, which is an ultra-compact system-on-module solution[buzzword] based on the Freescale i.MX6 processor family. Its low-profile, surface-mount design maximizes integration flexibility and significantly reduces design risk in a highly cost-effective form factor.
- NS 9210 / 9215 — ARM9 core @ 150 MHz, 10/100 Ethernet MAC, AES encryption, 2 × 300 MHz PIC processors for interfacing
- Rabbit 4000 — 60 MHz, 10BASE-T Ethernet MAC, AES encryption
- Rabbit 5000 — 100 MHz, 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi baseband MAC, 10/100 Ethernet MAC, AES encryption
- Rabbit 6000 — 300 MHz, 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi baseband MAC, 10/100 Ethernet MAC and PHY, USB 2.0 full-speed host, AES encryption
- XBee — family of small radios with compatible footprints
Embedded processor modulesEdit
- Digi Connect Core Wi-MX51 — Module incorporating Freescale's i.MX51 processor
- Digi Connect Core Wi-MX53 — Module incorporating Freescale's i.MX53 processor
- Digi Connect Card Wi-MX28 — Module incorporating Freescale's i.MX28 processor
- Digi Connect ME (Micro Embedded)
- Digi Connect Wi-ME (Wireless Micro Embedded)
- Digi Connect EM (Embedded Module)
- Digi Connect Wi-EM (Wireless Embedded Module)
Digi International offers a wide range of products including those designed for industrial (harsh environment) uses. The Digi Connect Family of products offer specific iterations on cellular WAN connectivity for various devices. The Digi ConnectPort Family embellishes this by offering various router features including multiple Ethernet and serial port configurations. These devices are generally configured with a web based interface similar to a standard home networking router.
- Digi Connect WAN
- Digi ConnectPort WAN
- Digi ConnectPort X
- Digi Connect ES (Extended Safety)
- Digi Connect SP (Single Port)
- Digi Connect Wi-SP (Wireless Single Port)
- Digi ConnectPort Display
- Digi ShowBox
- Digi Passport
- Digi TransPort
- Digi PortServer TS (Terminal Server)
- Digi CM
- Digi RPM
- Digi AccelePort
- Digi NEO
DigiMesh is a proprietary peer-to-peer wireless networking topology developed by Digi International. The protocol allows for time synchronized sleeping nodes/routers and low-power battery powered operation. The protocol is currently supported by several 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz radio modules from Digi International.
- "Digi International Acquires Etherios, a Leading Cloud Computing Services Provider" (Press release). November 1, 2012. Archived from the original on March 1, 2013. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "Digi International Enters Satellite M2M Market with Acquisition of MobiApps Assets" (Press release). June 8, 2009. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Digi Acquires Spectrum Design Solutions Inc., a Leading Wireless Design Services Firm" (Press release). April 4, 2008. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Digi Acquires Sarian Systems Ltd" (Press release). July 23, 2008. Archived from the original on September 18, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- MaxStream Acquired By Digi International In $38.5 Million Deal, Wireless Design Online, 2006, retrieved July 12, 2012
- http://www.controleng.com/article/313460-Digi_buys_FS_Forth_Systeme_Sistemas_Embebidos_for_4_4_million.php[dead link]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090213034006/http://www.digi.com/news/pressrelease.jsp?prid=194. Archived from the original on February 13, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2009. Missing or empty
- "Digi International, Inc. - Company Snapshot". Alacra. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Digi Connect® Family and ConnectPort™ TS Family User's Guide" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-19.
- "The DigiMesh™ Networking Protocol". Digi International. Retrieved July 12, 2012.