Boneta in 2019
|Born||November 29, 1990|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Citizenship||Mexico, Spain, United States|
He recorded his self-titled debut album with his first single, Responde in 2005. A Brazilian version of the album with songs in Portuguese was recorded in 2006. In 2008 he released his second album titled Indigo.
Early life and citizenshipEdit
Boneta was born in Mexico City, the son of two engineers. His father is Mexican, while his mother was born in the United States, to a Puerto Rican father and Spanish mother. He has two siblings, Natalia and Santiago, who have both gained a significant following on social media as a result of their brother's fame. Although he never knew his maternal grandfather, Otto Boneta, a songwriter and psychiatrist, Diego credits him for his musical talents.
During his stint in Rebelde, he released his debut album, titled Diego, in Mexico, Chile and Brazil in 2005. The album was available for digital sale on April 3, 2006 and released in the United States on April 24. The first single, "Responde" (an adaptation of the 2000 single "A Mil Por Hora" by Lynda Thomas), became a top ten single in various countries including Argentina and Brazil. His songs were synchronized in the telenovela Rebelde and, once finished, he went on an international tour with Mexican pop group RBD as a guest. "It was a really cool experience, because in countries like Brazil or Romania everybody sang my songs in Spanish," he said.
His second album, titled Indigo, was released on 25 March 2008. It features the single "Perdido en Ti" and "Losing Me", and is produced by Mitch Allan and written by Mitch Allan and Kara DioGuardi. On 5 May 2008, "Losing Me" and "Perdido En Ti" became iTunes Free Single of the Week.
2003-2010: Early workEdit
He started his career in Mexico singing and acting. He worked extensively in television and appeared in the reality show Código F.A.M.A.. He did two children's telenovelas: Alegrijes y rebujos and Misión S.O.S with Allison lozz which were shown on Univision. He was also in the teenage-oriented telenovela Rebelde.
In 2010, at the age of 20 years, he appeared in the TV series Pretty Little Liars as Alex Santiago and in 90210 as Javier Luna which was "practically me with a different name" where he could sing and compose, mainly "Siempre tú" which came out at the end of the second season and the beginning of the third. His first film came in 2011 as Tyler Adams in the teen flick Mean Girls 2 opposite Meaghan Martin and Jennifer Stone. Martin was the only actor he knew at that time, he recalled it was really easy to work with her because they were friends. Also the film gave him the opportunity to experience high school since he didn't get to, being that he was tutored and working.
As he shot into the spotlight he became the cover model of TROIX magazine's 'March Men Madness' 2011 issue, introducing him as "Prince Charming". His big Hollywood break came when he was cast in the lead role in Adam Shankman's movie adaptation of the hit Broadway musical Rock of Ages. He played Drew Boley, a young upstart in Los Angeles in the late 1980s with dreams of becoming a rock star. Of Boneta's audition, Shankman called him the "next big thing" and compared him to Zac Efron, Channing Tatum, and Liam Hemsworth. In May 2013 Boneta began filming in West Virginia for an upcoming independent film entitled Another You co-starring Ksenia Solo. In 2014, Boneta was featured in Abercrombie & Fitch's "Making of a Star" campaign. As a result, Photography of Boneta shot by Bruce Weber was featured in A&F stores worldwide.
2014: City of Dead Men and EdenEdit
In 2014 it was announced that Boneta would star in the indie film City of Dead Men in the role of Michael, soon afterwards was confirmed by the director himself. The film was released on March 31, 2015, the same year production began on Eden which features Boneta and Jessica Lowndes in the main roles.
2015: Scream Queens and The DovekeepersEdit
In 2015, Boneta played warrior Amram in the mini-series The Dovekeepers, and recorded the song "The Warrior" that aired in the opening of the series. Between September and December 2015, he starred in Ryan Murphy's FOX comedy and horror series Scream Queens. The show features an all star cast including Ariana Grande, Keke Palmer, Nick Jonas, Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis and Lea Michele.
2018: Luis Miguel - La SerieEdit
Boneta plays Luis Miguel, the Grammy award-winning artist in the TV bio-musical series, Luis Miguel: The Series. The show is based on the early career of the famous Mexican artist that became an icon around the world. The series officially premiered on April 22, 2018 on Telemundo and Netflix, and a second season of the series is in development, set to premiere in 2020.
|2012||Rock of Ages||Drew Boley|
|2014||City of Dead Men||Michael|
|2016||Pelé: Birth of a Legend||José Altafini|
|2017||Before I Fall||Mr. Daimler|
|The Reason You Haven't Had Sex in So Long||Gary||Short film|
|Another You||Marcus||Associate producer|
|The Titan||Íker Hernández|
|A Bend in the Road|
|2018||The Reason Nobody Likes You||Isaac||Short film|
|2019||Terminator: Dark Fate||Diego Ramos|
|TBA||Love, Weddings & Other Disasters||N/A||Post-production|
|TBA||Die in a Gunfight||Ben||Filming|
|2002-2003||Código F.A.M.A.||Himself||Reality show/Contest|
|2004||Misión S.O.S||Christian Martínez|
|Alegrijes y rebujos||Ricardo Sánchez|
|2005–06||Rebelde||Rocco Bezauri||Season 2-3|
|2005||La energía de Sonric'slandia||Himself||Episode: "Ele"|
|2010||Zeke and Luther||Tiki Delgado||Episode: "Kojo's BFF"|
|2010–11||90210||Javier Luna||5 episodes|
|Pretty Little Liars||Alex Santiago||5 episodes|
|2011||Mean Girls 2||Tyler Adams||Television film|
|2012||Made in Hollywood||Himself||Archive footage|
|2015||The Dovekeepers||Amram||2 episodes|
|Scream Queens||Pete Martinez||Main role (season 1): 13 episodes|
|2016||Jane the Virgin||Dax||Episode: "Chapter Thirty-Two"|
|2017||Latin American Music Award||Host||Award show|
|2018–present||Luis Miguel||Luis Miguel||Main role|
|Diego (Edição Brasil)||
|Diego - En Vivo En El Maracanã||
|"Aquí Voy"||2005||Non-album single|
|"Solo Existes Tú"||2007|
|"Perdido En Ti"||2008||Indigo|
|"Millón De Años"|
|"Siempre Tú"||2010||Non-album single|
|"Solo Existes Tú"||2007||N/A|
|"Perdido En Ti"||2008||N/A|
|"Millón De Años"||N/A|
|"About You Now"||Miranda Cosgrove|
|2010||90210||One More Time||Uncredited|
|90210||Fade Away||Writer/Acoustic; Uncredited|
|90210||Siempre Tu||Writer; Uncredited|
|Pretty Little Liars||Siempre Tu||Uncredited|
|2012||Rock of Ages||Several Songs|
|2018||Luis Miguel||Various||Luis Miguel: La Serie — Soundtrack|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2012||ALMA Awards||Won||Favorite Movie Actor||Rock of Ages|
- "UPI Almanac for Friday, Nov. 29, 2019". United Press International. 29 November 2019. Archived from the original on 24 December 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
…actor Diego Boneta in 1990 (age 29)
- Kaufman, Amy; Gettell, Oliver (27 December 2013). "Faces to Watch 2014: Movies | Ansel Elgort, Gia Coppola and more". LA Times. Archived from the original on 17 January 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- García, Julio (8 February 2011). "Diego Boneta, un galán mexicano en 'Mean Girls 2' / Diego Boneta, a Mexican heartthrob in 'Mean Girls 2'" (in Spanish). Univision. Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Williams, Alex (5 April 2008). "Is Diego Boneta Mexico's Next Big Hollywood Star?". NY Times. The New York Times Company. p. 1. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Boneta, Diego (3 July 2010). Diego Boneta - Pretty Little Liars EXCLUSIVE ZAP2it (YouTube). DiegoBonetaOfficial. Archived from the original on 12 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- Malkin, Marc (4 April 2011). "Julianne Hough Lands Herself a Rock Star, Plus Tom Cruise Channels Axl Rose and Keith Richards". E! Online. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Longman, Haley (8 March 2011). "Diego Boneta is an Animal Lover. And Us? A Diego Boneta Lover". Teen.com. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Weinstein, Shelli (August 15, 2014). "CBS' 'The Dovekeepers' Miniseries Taps 'Pele' Star Diego Boneta". Variety. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 25, 2015). "Diego Boneta To Co-Star In Fox Series 'Scream Queens'; Glen Powell Also Cast". Deadline. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Luis Miguel y Diego Boneta, juntos por primera vez". milenio.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "[FOTOS] Por primera vez juntos: Luis Miguel se reúne con quien lo interpretará en la TV". t13.cl (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "La serie de Luis Miguel para Netflix se estrena el 22 de abril". Expansión (in Spanish). 2018-04-07. Retrieved 2019-10-22.