This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Didier Morville (French pronunciation: [didje mɔʁvil]), better known by his stage name JoeyStarr with additional aliases as Jaguar Gorgone and Double R, is a French rapper, from Saint-Denis, in the northern suburbs of Paris. He co-founded the famous French rap band Suprême NTM in 1989 along with Kool Shen. He was born on 27 October 1967.
JoeyStarr at the nominees lunch for the 37th César Awards
|Birth name||Didier Morville|
|Also known as||Double R, L'Expert de la maison mère, Jaguarr Gorgone|
|Born||27 October 1967|
Saint-Denis, Seine-Saint-Denis, France
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, record producer, actor|
|Instruments||Percussion, synthesizer, keyboards, bass guitar, turntables|
|Associated acts||Kool Shen, Busta Flex, Jaeyez, Lord Kossity|
Life and careerEdit
Childhood and upbringingEdit
JoeyStarr is from a family originating from the French overseas department of Martinique. He had a difficult childhood, having been raised by his violent father until he turned 18. He was taken from his mother when he was five years old, and only saw her again 18 years later. He tells of a time when his father killed his pet rabbit and made him eat it.
After the army, he wandered the streets, sleeping in subways and alleys. He discovered drugs and hip-hop, and the latter changed his life.
During his time on the streets, he met another aspiring rapper, Kool Shen, who was also born in Saint-Denis. In 1988 they formed the group Suprême NTM alias NTM. When the first single came out in 1989, he could not cash the check, since he could not provide an address or a bank account.
The group achieved record sales with their four albums, but split in 1998.
It had a comeback as announced on March 13, 2008.
JoeyStarr had an infamous romantic liaison with French actress Béatrice Dalle, and the couple appeared on TV shows and promotional events. Joeystarr has two sons, Mathis and Kalil, with his current girlfriend, hip-hop journalist Leïla Dixmier.
JoeyStarr has also had many problems with regards to violence. In 1999, he was sentenced to two months in prison for physically harassing a stewardess. In 2003, he was condemned for animal brutality for hitting a monkey on national television, and was heavily criticized in the press and by his fans.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- 2007: "Best rap artist" during L'Année du hip-hop Les trophées
- 2008: "Best concert" during L'Année du hip-hop Les trophées
|2006||La dernière année||20||3||36|
(Cut Killer, JoeyStarr & Kimfu)
- 2006: My Playlist
- 2007: L'Anthology Mixtape
|2000||La Tour Montparnasse Infernale||Joël|
|2004||RRRrrrr!!!||l'essayeur de gourdins|
|2008||La Personne aux deux personnes||Himself|
|2009||Le Bal des actrices||Himself|
|2011||Polisse||Fred||Nominated–César Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2012||L'amour dure trois ans||Jean-Georges|
|2012||Les seigneurs||Shaheef Berda|
|2012||Do Not Disturb||Man in Prison|
|2013||The Mark of the Angels – Miserere||Frank|
|2013||Une autre vie||Jean|
|2014||Colt 45||Milo Cardena|
- Joeystarr not Joey Starr. He said that in his biography.
- "Tous ces pédés de militaires / Qui pendant, oui, presque plus d'une année / M'ont séquéstré, malmené / Sous prétexte de faire de moi un homme, un vrai"
- Helenon, Veronique. “Africa on Their Mind: Rap, Blackness, and Citizenship in France.” In The Vinyl Ain’t Final: Hip Hop and the Globalization of Black Popular Culture, ed. by Dipannita Basu and Sidney J. Lemelle, 151-66. London; Ann Arbor, MI: Pluto Pres
- SUPRÊME NTM - Le site Officiel
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-09-21. Retrieved 2008-03-21.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2008-03-21.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- LesCharts.com: JoeyStarr page