Dictionary of the Scots Language
The Dictionary of the Scots Language (DSL) (Scots: Dictionar o the Scots Leid) is an online Scots-English dictionary, now run by Scottish Language Dictionaries, a charity and limited company. Freely available via the Internet, the work comprises the two major dictionaries of the Scots language:
- Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (DOST), 12 volumes
- Scottish National Dictionary (SND), 10 volumes
The DOST contains information about Older Scots words in use from the 12th to the end of the 17th centuries (Early and Middle Scots); SND contains information about Scots words in use from 1700 to the 1970s (Modern Scots). Together these 22 volumes provide a comprehensive history of Scots. The SND Bibliography and the DOST Register of Titles have also been digitised and can be searched in the same way as the main data files. A new supplement compiled by Scottish Language Dictionaries was added in 2005.
The digitisation project, which ran from February 2001 to January 2004, was based at the University of Dundee and primarily funded by a grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Board. Additional financial support was provided by Scottish Language Dictionaries and the Russell Trust.
Dr Victor Skretkowicz was a key figure in the project. Born in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1942 joined the University of Dundee's English Department in 1978 and in 1989, became the Dundee University’s representative on the Joint Council for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue being elected as its convenor three years later. Under his direction it was responsible for volumes 9-12 of that dictionary. In 2001, he was appointed Research Director of the project to create the Dictionary of the Scots Language. Skretkowicz retired from Dundee in 2007 and died in 2009. Archives relating to his work are held by the University of Dundee's Archive Services.
- "About the DSL", Dictionary of the Scots Language, Scottish Language Dictionaries, retrieved 6 July 2014
- "UR-SF 62 Papers of Dr Victor Skretkowicz". Archive Services Online Catalogue. University of Dundee. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- Archives, Records and Artefacts at the University of Dundee. University of Dundee http://archives-records-artefacts.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/papers-of-late-dr-victor-skretkowicz.html. Retrieved 28 April 2017. Missing or empty