Dexter Lawrence II (born November 12, 1997) is an American football nose tackle for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). In 2015, he concluded his high school football career at Wake Forest High School in Wake Forest. He was ranked as the No. 2 recruit in college football's incoming Class of 2016.
|No. 97 – New York Giants|
|Born:||November 12, 1997|
Wake Forest, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||355 lb (161 kg)|
|High school:||Wake Forest (NC)|
|NFL Draft:||2019 / Round: 1 / Pick: 17|
|Roster status:||Unsigned draft pick|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
High school careerEdit
Lawrence was seen as the best prospect to ever come out of the state of North Carolina. He considered multiple schools, including Clemson Tigers, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, Alabama Crimson Tide and NC State Wolfpack. In the end he signed with Clemson.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Wake Forest, North Carolina||Wake Forest High School||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||340 lb (150 kg)||5.00||Dec 14, 2015|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: ESPN grade: 91|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 2 (DT); 2 (East); 1 (NC) Rivals: 2 (DT); 2 (Natl); 1 (NC) 247Sports: 2 (Natl); 2 (DT); 1 (NC) ESPN: 3 (DT); 4 (East); 1 (NC)|
In 2016, Lawrence played in 12 games for the Tigers at Defensive Tackle. Throughout the regular season he recorded 55 tackles and 5 sacks. The 5 sacks he recorded in his freshman year is a Clemson record. Lawrence beat the previous record of 4 set by William Perry, Ricky Sapp, and Shaq Lawson. Lawrence was subsequently named the 2016 ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. Lawrence was part of the Clemson team that defeated Alabama in the 2017 College Football Playoff National Championship by a score of 35–31. In the game, he recorded four total tackles. Dexter was ruled ineligible for the 2019 College Football Playoff after testing positive for the banned substance ostarine. After the season, Lawrence decided to forego his senior year and enter the 2019 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 1⁄2 in
|34 3⁄4 in
|10 1⁄2 in
|5.05 s||36 reps|
|All values from 2019 NFL Combine|
Dexter Lawrence was selected by the New York Giants with the 17th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. The Giants originally acquired the selection as part of a trade that sent Odell Beckham Jr. to the Cleveland Browns.
- "247Sports". 247sports.com. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "Dexter Lawrence's Football Stats". maxpreps.com. CBS Interactive.
- "Rivals.com - Top 10 North Carolina recruits in Rivals.com history". n.rivals.com. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "Dexter Lawrence, Wake Forest, Defensive Tackle". 247sports.com. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "Lawrence Named ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year". clemsontigers.com. Clemson University Athletics. November 26, 2016.
- "College Football Championship - Clemson vs Alabama Box Score, January 9, 2017". Sports Reference. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
- "Sources: Clemson expects to be without Dexter Lawrence, 2 others after failed drug tests". ESPN. December 25, 2018.
- Hale, David M. (December 27, 2018). "Suspensions of three Clemson players upheld after B samples test positive". ESPN. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- Legwold, Jeff (March 3, 2019). "Clemson DT Lawrence hurts leg in 40 at combine". espn.com.
- Salomone, Dan. "New York Giants draft Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence with 17th pick". New York Giants. Retrieved April 26, 2019.
- Rapp, Timothy. "Giants Draft DL Dexter Lawrence Using Browns Pick from Odell Beckham Jr. Trade". Bleacher Report. Retrieved April 27, 2019.