Defending Jacob (miniseries)
Defending Jacob is an upcoming American crime drama web television miniseries, based on the novel of the same name by William Landay, produced by Apple TV+. The series was created by Mark Bomback and is set to star Chris Evans and be directed by Morten Tyldum.
|Created by||Mark Bomback|
|Based on||Defending Jacob|
by William Landay
|Written by||Mark Bomback|
|Directed by||Morten Tyldum|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Original network||Apple TV+|
Defending Jacob tells the story of "a father dealing with the accusation that his son is a 14-year-old murderer."
On September 20, 2018, it was announced that Apple had given a straight-to-series order consisting of eight episodes to a television miniseries adaptation of William Landay's 2012 novel Defending Jacob. The series was created by Mark Bomback who was also set to write the series and executive produce alongside Chris Evans, Morten Tyldum, Rosalie Swedlin, and Adam Shulman. Tyldum was also expected to direct the series as well. Production companies involved with the series were slated to consist of Paramount Television and Anonymous Content.
Alongside the series order announcement, it was confirmed that Chris Evans had been cast in the series' lead role. In March 2019, Michelle Dockery and Jaeden Martell joined the cast of the series. In April 2019, Cherry Jones, Pablo Schreiber, Betty Gabriel and Sakina Jaffrey joined the cast of the series.
Filming was confirmed to commence in Newton, Massachusetts––the city in which the novel takes place––in April 2019. Three locations have been confirmed for filming thus far: Cold Spring Park, the village of Newton Highlands, and the UMass Amherst Mount Ida Campus. Additional filming has begun in Belmont, Massachusetts. Filming also began in Salem, Massachusetts, on June 15, 2019. Filming also began at MCI Cedar Junction in Walpole, Massachusetts, on June 17, 2019. Filming commenced on June 19, 2019, in Lowell, Massachusetts, by the UMass Lowell Tsongas Arena. Filming took place at River's Edge in Medford, Massachusetts, on June 21, 2019. Filming also commenced on June 28, 2019, in Worcester, Massachusetts, and on July 8, 2019, in Watertown, Massachusetts, where the facade of the old Watertown Police Station will appear as the Newton Police Station in the series. Filming took place on July 9, 2019 at the Town Diner in Watertown. On July 18, 2019, they filmed at C&M Pizza in Leominster, Massachusetts.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 20, 2018). "Chris Evans To Star In 'Defending Jacob' Apple Limited Series From Mark Bomback & Morten Tyldum". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (September 20, 2018). "Chris Evans to Star in Apple Crime Drama 'Defending Jacob'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (March 20, 2019). "Michelle Dockery, Jaeden Martell Join Chris Evans in Apple Series 'Defending Jacob'". Variety. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (April 5, 2019). "'Defending Jacob': Cherry Jones, Pablo Schreiber, Betty Gabriel & Sakina Jaffrey Round Out Series Regular Cast Of Apple Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- DeFeudis, Nicole (June 20, 2019). Lowell Sun http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_32692189/actor-chris-evans-films-lowell-upcoming-series. Retrieved June 24, 2019. Missing or empty
- Fisher, Jenna (March 21, 2019). "Newton Picked For Apple TV Series Starring Chris Evans". Patch Media. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- "PHOTOS: 'Defending Jacob' films in Watertown, July 8, 2019". watertown.wickedlocal.com.