Deep tech, or deep technology startup companies are based on substantial scientific advances and high tech engineering innovation. They often require longer term, large investments, substantial research, and can take longer for possible commercial success. Because of this, they tend to be much harder for competitors to replicate.
Deep tech is sometimes contrasted with the "shallow tech" of a business model innovation or transferring from a non-digital business model to a digital one, which tend to be easier for competitors to replicate. Examples include basic mobile apps, websites, and e-commerce services.
- mtc. "What is Deep Tech?". TechWorks. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- BBVA (2017-11-28). "What is 'deep tech'?". NEWS BBVA. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- "IQ Capital is raising £125M to invest in deep tech startups in the UK". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- "What is Deep Tech and which startups are marking the road (not Uber)". Startup Business (in Italian). 2018-04-20. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- "Europe has a chance to dominate deep tech". Financial Times. Retrieved 2019-01-12.