Decentralized Administration of Thessaly and Central Greece
The Decentralized Administration of Thessaly and Central Greece (Greek: Αποκεντρωμένη Διοίκηση Θεσσαλίας – Στερεάς Ελλάδας) is one of the seven decentralized administrations of Greece, consisting of the peripheries of Thessaly and Central Greece. Seated in Larissa, Thessaly, it is currently led by Acting Secretary-General Ilias Tseligas.
Θεσσαλίας – Στερεάς Ελλάδας
|Formed||1 January 2011|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Greece|
Location of Thessaly and Central Greece in Greece
|Area||29,586 km2 (11,423 sq mi)|
|Population||1,280,152 (as of 2011)|
Formation and tasksEdit
They enjoy both administrative and financial autonomy and exercise devolved state powers in urban planning, environmental and energy policy, forestry, migration and citizenship. Beyond that, they are tasked with supervising the first and second-level self-governing bodies: the municipalities and regions, in this case the 50 municipalities of Thessaly and Central Greece, and the two regions themselves.
Covering an area of 29,586 km2 (11,423 sq mi), Epirus and Western Macedonia is one of the largest of the seven decentralized administrations, second only to the Decentralized Administration of Macedonia and Thrace. With an overall population of 1,280,152,it is however only medium-sized by population.
In the revised European NUTS nomenclature, the regions of Thessaly and Central Greece together with the three regions of the Decentralized Administration of Peloponnese, Western Greece and the Ionian form the first level NUTS region EL6 (Kentriki Ellada).
The Decentralized Administration is led by a Secretary-General (Γενικός Γραμματέας) who is appointed or dismissed by a Cabinet decision upon request of the Greek Minister of Interior, and is therefore considered the senior representative of the national government in the regions.
Following the electoral victory of Syriza in January 2015, the new Minister for the Interior, Nikos Voutsis, declared that the decentralized administrations would be abolished, and their powers transferred to the regions. Until this reform is formalized, and as the Secretaries-General appointed by the previous administration resigned on 2 February, the decentralized administrations are run by their senior civil servants as Acting Secretaries-General.
Current Acting Secretary-General is Ilias Tseligas.
- Ministry of Interior 2013, p. 12
- "Demographic and social characteristics of the Resident Population of Greece according to the 2011 Population - Housing Census revision of 20/3/2014" (PDF). Hellenic Statistical Authority. 12 September 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-08.
- Ministry of Interior 2013, p. 10 f..
- Ministry of Interior 2013, p. 27.
- Ministry of Interior 2013, p. 19.
- Tania Georgiopoulou (5 February 2015). Κατάργηση Αποκεντρωμένων Διοικήσεων (in Greek). Kathimerini. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Ο Βούτσης «καταργεί» τις Αποκεντρωμένες Διοικήσεις – Κίνηση-ματ υπέρ των αιρετών Περιφερειών (in Greek). aftodioikisi.gr. 3 February 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Γενικός Γραμματέας [General Secretary]. Archived from the original on 29 March 2015. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Official website (in Greek)