Davide Toffolo at Lucca Comics & Games 2015
|Born||January 17, 1965|
|Area(s)||Cartoonist, author, musician|
Life and workEdit
Davide Toffolo studied at the DAMS (Dipartimento di Arte, Musica e Spettacolo – In English: Department of Arts, Music and Entertainment) of the University of Bologna.
When Davide Toffolo started to play music, his native town Pordenone was already one of the most important cities for the Italian punk rock scene which emerged in the late 1970s because of the closeness of the American military base in Aviano. Members of his band, Tre Allegri Ragazzi Morti (Three happy dead boys), are known for wearing a skull masks and not letting the fans take pictures or videos without the skull masks.
In 2005 his band together with a few bands from the neighboring Slovenia, which has a similar punk rock tradition from the 1970s, went to an overseas concert tour in South America. It could be assumed that conversing with fellow punk musicians from Slovenia he had heard of the existence of Gonars concentration camp for the first time, and decided to write the non-fiction comic book titled Italian winter about it in 2010. It is based on documents from official archives in Slovenia, collected by Paola Bristot, art historian at University of Bologna.
- Piera degli Spiriti (with Giovanni Mattioli), Kappa Edizioni, 1996
- Animali (with Giovanni Mattioli), Kappa Edizioni, 1998
- Fregoli, Kappa Edizioni, 1998
- Fare Fumetti, Vivacomix, 2000
- Carnera, la montagna che cammina, Vivacomix
- Intervista a Pasolini, Biblioteca dell'immagine, 2002
- Anatomia di una adolescenza, Vivacomix, 2005
- Il re bianco, Coconino Press, 2005
- Très! Fumetti per il teatro, Coconino Press, 2008
- Lezioni di fumetto, Coniglio editore, 2009
- L'inverno d'Italia (in English "Italian winter"), Coconino Press, 2010
- Fandango, Cult Comix, 1999–2001
- Cinque allegri ragazzi morti
- Mazzocut, Mauro "Cloned". The Great Complotto Pordenone. Biblioteca Civica di Pordenone.
- (in Italian) Information about Tre Allegri Ragazzi Morti.
- (in Italian) Press release of Italian winter comic book
- A blog post with quotations from correspondence between Davide Toffolo and Paola Bristot during her research and collecting documents
|This profile of a European comics creator, writer, or artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|