David S. Richeson is an American mathematician whose interests include the topology of dynamical systems, recreational mathematics, and the history of mathematics. He is a professor of mathematics at Dickinson College.
Education and careerEdit
Richeson was interested in mathematics from an early age, in part through Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games columns. He graduated from Hamilton College in 1993, and completed his Ph.D. at Northwestern University in 1998; his dissertation, Connection Matrix Pairs for the Discrete Conley Index, was supervised by John Franks.
Richeson is the author of the book Euler's Gem: The Polyhedron Formula and the Birth of Topology (Princeton University Press, 2008; paperback, 2012), on the Euler characteristic of polyhedra. The book won the 2010 Euler Book Prize of the Mathematical Association of America.
His second book, Tales of Impossibility: The 2000-Year Quest to Solve the Mathematical Problems of Antiquity (Princeton University Press, 2019), concerns four famous problems of straightedge and compass construction, unsolved by the ancient Greek mathematicians and now known to be impossible: doubling the cube, squaring the circle, constructing regular polygons of any order, and trisecting the angle.
- "David Richeson", Faculty profiles, Dickinson College, retrieved 2020-02-25
- Poudyal, Binam (February 14, 2019), "Professor Spotlight: David Richeson", The Dickinsonian
- David Richeson at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Richeson, David S. (9 May 2017), "About me", Division by zero, retrieved 2020-02-25
- Reviews of Euler's Gem:
- Bradley, Robert (January 8, 2009), "Review", Times Higher Education
- Bultheel, Adhemar (January 2020), "Review", EMS Reviews, European Mathematical Society
- Ciesielski, Krzysztof, Mathematical Reviews, MR 2963735CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Daems, Jeanine (December 2009), The Mathematical Intelligencer, 32 (3): 56–57, doi:10.1007/s00283-009-9116-0CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Jones, Dustin L. (August 2009), The Mathematics Teacher, 103 (1): 87, JSTOR 20876528CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Karpenkov, Oleg, zbMATH, Zbl 1153.55001CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Martin, Jeremy (December 2010), "Review" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 57 (11): 1448–1450
- Roth, Bruce (March 2010), The Mathematical Gazette, 94 (529): 176–177, doi:10.1017/S0025557200007397, JSTOR 27821912CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Satzer, William J. (October 2008), "Review", MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America
- Wagner, Clifford (February 2010), Convergence, Mathematical Association of America, doi:10.4169/loci003291CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Euler Book Prize, Mathematical Association of America, retrieved 2020-02-25
- Reviews of Tales of Impossibility: