David Matsumoto (born August 2, 1959) is an author, psychologist and judoka. His areas of expertise include culture, emotion, facial expressions, nonverbal behavior and microexpressions. Matsumoto is a professor at San Francisco State University and also the Director of Humintell - a company that provides "unique training in the fields of facial expression of emotion, nonverbal behavior, detecting deception and cultural adaptation." In addition, he is a 7th degree black belt in judo and the owner and head instructor of the East Bay Judo Institute in El Cerrito, California.
Matsumoto was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. He received his B.A. from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1981 with High Honors in Psychology and Japanese. Matsumoto proceeded to obtain his Masters and Doctorate Degrees in Psychology from the University of California at Berkeley in 1983 and 1986, respectively.
He is also the founder and director of the Culture and Emotion Research Laboratory (CERL) at San Francisco State.
Matsumoto has collaborated with many other psychologists, including Dr. Paul Ekman and Dr. Mark Frank, both acclaimed psychologists in the study of facial expressions and emotions.
In addition to conducting extensive research, Matsumoto, Ekman and Frank created the Microexpression Training Tool (METT 1), the first training tool developed to improve one's ability to read microexpressions. Ekman and Matsumoto then proceeded to create a proceeding version of the training tool, METT2.
In 2009, Matsumoto and Bob Willingham conducted a study examining spontaneous facial expressions in blind judo athletes. They discovered that many facial expressions are innate and not visually learned.
Matsumoto says that “Spontaneously produced facial expressions of emotion of both congenitally and non-congenitally blind individuals are the same as for sighted individuals in the same emotionally evocative situations. We also see that blind athletes manage their expressions in social situations the same way sighted athletes do.”
Matsumoto is the current owner and head instructor of the East Bay Judo Institute located in El Cerrito, California. In addition, he has served as an official researcher for the International Judo Federation as well as past Director of Development for USA Judo. He holds Class A Coaching and Referee Licenses.
Matsumoto has won countless awards, including the US Olympic Committee’s Coach of the Year Award for Judo in 2003. In addition to holding various positions within the United States Judo Federation and USA Judo, Matsumoto served as the head coach of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Judo Team and was the Team Leader for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Judo Team.
His personal students have distinguished themselves by obtaining medals in national and international competition over 200 times in the past 20 years under his tutelage, including a silver medal at the 2000 World Junior Judo Championships by his daughter, 2008 Olympian, Sayaka Matsumoto.
Matsumoto is the author of numerous books, including:
- Nonverbal Communication Science and Applications (2013)
- The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat (2007)
- Culture and Psychology-4th Edition (2007)
- Judo in the U.S.: A Century of Dedication (2005)
- The New Japan: Debunking Seven Cultural Stereotypes (2002)
- The Handbook of Culture and Psychology (2001)
- のあともう一言：話が弾む英会話 (2000)
- 日本人の国際適応力 (1999)
- Judo: A Sport and a Way of Life (1999)
- これだけ！トラベル英会話 (1999)
- これで通じる！一言英会話 (1998)
- Culture and Modern Life (1997)
- 日本人の感情世界 (1996)
- Introduction to Kodokan Judo: History and Philosophy (1996)
- Unmasking Japan: Myths and Realities about the Emotions of the Japanese (1996)
- Cultural Influences on Research Methods and Statistics (1994)
- People: Psychology From a Cultural Perspective (1994)
- Official website
- David Matsumoto Personal Website
- East Bay Judo Instructor Page
- American Psychological Association Press Release
- American Psychological Paper: Spontaneous Facial Expressions
- Time Magazine Article-Try Lifting Your Mood
- Professional Profile, San Francisco State University
- Interview with David Matsumoto on TheJudoPodcast.eu
- Reading People: Behavioral Anomalies and Investigative Interviewing FBI
- "Humintell Website" Viewed on July 10, 2009.
- "EBJI Instructors" Viewed on July 10, 2009.
- "SFSU Campus Memo-Academic Senate", Vol. 56, Num 36. May 18, 2009.
- Ninle, Elaine. "Matsumoto Study Attracts Pentagon Support", January 22, 2009. Viewed on July 10, 2009.
- Ekman, P., Matsumoto, D., & Frank, M. G. (2001). The Micro-Expression Training Tool, v. 1. (METT1). [CD Rom]. Available at humintell.com
- Ekman, P., & Matsumoto, D. (2007). The Micro-Expression Training Tool, v. 2. (METT2). Available at humintell.com
- "humintell.com". humintell.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "paulekman.com". paulekman.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Matsumoto, D., & Willingham, B. (2009). Spontaneous facial expressions of emotion of blind individuals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 96(1), 1-10
- Hamilton, Audrey (December 29, 2008). "Certain Facial Expressions Innate, Not Visually Learned". American Psychological Association. Retrieved July 10, 2009.
- Cloud, John "How to Lift Your Mood-Try Smiling" Time Magazine, January 16, 2009. Viewed July 10, 2009.
- "SAGE: Nonverbal Communication: Science and Applications: David Matsumoto: 9781412999304". Sagepub.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Culture and Psychology: David Matsumoto, Linda Juang: 9780495097877: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. ASIN 049509787X.
- Judo in the U.S.: A Century of Dedication: Michel Brousse, David Matsumoto: 9781556435638: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. ASIN 1556435630.
- David Matsumoto (Author) (2007-03-01). New Japan: Debunking Seven Cultural Stereotypes: David Matsumoto: 9781877864933: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. ASIN 1877864935.
- "The Handbook of Culture and Psychology eBook: David Matsumoto: Kindle Store". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Culture and Modern Life: David Matsumoto: 9780534496883: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. 1996-09-24. ASIN 0534496881.
- An Introduction to Kodokan Judo: History and Philosophy: 9784894390423: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. 2014-02-12. ASIN 4894390426.
- UNMASKING JAPAN: Myths and Realities About the Emotions of the Japanese: David Matsumoto: 9780804727198: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. 1996-11-01. ASIN 0804727198.
- David Matsumoto (Author) (1994-01-01). "Cultural Influences on Research Methods and Statistics: David Matsumoto: 9780534237660: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- People: Psychology from a Cultural Perspective: David Matsumoto: 9781577661139: Amazon.com: Books. Amazon.com. ASIN 1577661133.