David J. Schwartz (motivational writer)
David Joseph Schwartz, Jr. (March 23, 1927 – December 6, 1987) was an American motivational writer and coach, best known for authoring The Magic of Thinking Big in 1959. He was a professor of marketing, chairman of the department, and Chair of Consumer Finance at Georgia State University.
David J. Schwartz
David Joseph Schwartz, Jr.
March 23, 1927
|Died||December 6, 1987(aged 60)|
|Education||BS, MA, PhD|
|Alma mater||Ohio State University (MA, PhD)|
Nebraska University (BS)
|Occupation||Professor, Life strategist, and a Writer|
|Employer||Georgia State University|
|Known for||The Magic of Thinking Big|
He was a professor at Georgia State University, Atlanta, and was considered a leading American authority on motivation. He became well known through his motivational publications and self-help books, especially for The Magic of Thinking Big, published in 1959. Later, he began his own work as a self-help coach and life strategist and founded his own consultancy firm focusing on leadership development called Creative Educational Services Inc.
Georgia State University awards a scholarship in his honor.
The Magic of Thinking BigEdit
The Magic of Thinking Big, first published in 1959, is a self-help book by David J. Schwartz. The book was one of Simon & Schuster's all-time paperback best sellers and has sold over 6 million copies, It instructs people to set their goals high and think positively to achieve them.
The author gives a step-by-step guide on how to achieve what one wants by changing their thought patterns and thought habits. He explains that visualization adds value to everything and thinking big means training oneself to see not just what is, but what can be. He explains transmitting good news is win win, and we feel better and so do the people we are talking to. Lou Holtz mentions that this book helped him create his lifelong goals list. He also describes three failure diseases : excuse-itis, detail-itis and procrastination. Making better decisions and avoiding negative thoughts is the main topic of the book.
- data from authorities.loc.gov
- "What's On Your 'Must-Read List?'." Broker. (October 2001 / November 2001 ): 797 words. Nexis. Web. Date Accessed: 2018/07/08.
- "David Joseph Schwartz". PeopleJam. Archived from the original on 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- "Delta Tau Fraternity Organizes" (PDF). The Georgia State College Signal. April 24, 1969. p. 8. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Zailskas, S. 2007, "Book It", Professional Builder, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 29.
- "You've Got to Read This Book: 55 People Tell the Story of the Book That Changed Their Life", 2006, Publishers Weekly, vol. 253, no. 27, pp. 68.
- "Teachers Host Psychologist". (Newspapers.com). Xenia Daily Gazette from Xenia, Ohio. April 24, 1968. p. 19. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Abstracts of Theses Presented by Candidates for the Master's Degree. Ohio State University Press. 1948.
- Dissertation Abstracts. University Microfilms. 1959.
- Johnson, L. 1999, "A reading list for those who want to succeed", Management Today, , pp. 98.
- Willoughby, M. 2015, "Ignoring fear", The Mississippi Business Journal, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 11.
- Monitor 2011, 12 books Seth Godin thinks you should read, Boston, Mass.
- "David J. Schwartz Home Page - Biography and book listing". cornerstone.wwwhubs.com.
- Clary, J.M., Hadari, M.K., Holmwood, A.B., Schmidt, S.A. & Shapiro, R.S. 1994, "Sales ideas from young Top of the Table producers", Life & Health Insurance Sales, vol. 137, no. 5, pp. 6.
- Dr. David Schwartz Memorial Scholarship, Georgia State University.
- "The magic of thinking big". worldcat.org. Prentice-Hall. 1959. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Applebaum, Judith (December 12, 1982). "PAPERBACK TALK; Another Angle on What We Read". The New York Times. Retrieved 2018-07-11.
- "Book Review: The Magic Of Thinking Big | Work On Your Game with Dre Baldwin aka DreAllDay". Work On Your Game with Dre Baldwin aka DreAllDay. 19 July 2009. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "The Magic of Thinking Big by David J Schwartz". www.penguin.co.uk. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- The Magic of Thinking Success by Dr. David J. Schwartz Foreword by Melvin Powers
- "The Magic of Thinking Big". Simon & Schuster. 6 October 2015.
- "The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz". 24 Carrot Writing. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz - Book Review | Wealth-And-Power". www.wealth-and-power.com. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Book Review - The Magic of Thinking Big Teetch". www.teetch.com. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Fun Trivia: S : Self Help/Improvement". Archived from the original on May 13, 2011. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "Soul Shelter » The Magic of Thinking Big". www.soulshelter.com.
- The Magic Of Thinking Big – Book Review[permanent dead link]
- Kumar, Aditya. "The Magic Of Thinking Big". bsp.iitd.ac.in. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Legendary Coach Lou Holtz Shares His Wisdom on Goal Setting".
- "Nonfiction Book Review: You've Got to Read This Book: 55 People Tell the Story of the Book That Changed Their Life by Jack Canfield, Author, Gay Hendricks, Author, Carol Kline, With . Collins $24.95 (286p) ISBN 978-0-06-089169-5". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- The Magic of Thinking Big Written by Editor in Chief, Pick The Brain
- Schwartz, David J. (May 2, 2006). "The Magic Of Thinking Big". Simon & Schuster UK – via Amazon.
- Schwartz, David Joseph. The Magic of Thinking Big. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1987. A big believer in nudging his ways of thinking lead to the revolution of leadership in the international environment. He famously said that one way of leadership is to look after the water and not the fish as they will look after themselves.
- "THE MAGIC OF GETTING WHAT YOU WANT by David J. Schwartz | Kirkus Reviews". Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Book Summary | The Magic Of Thinking Big - Daily Life Talk". Daily Life Talk. 23 August 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- The Magic of Getting What You Want by David J. Schwartz | Kirkus Reviews.