Darlene Koldenhoven (born October 9 in Chicago) is an American soprano, pianist, songwriter, arranger, composer, keyboardist, record producer, lyricist, author, actor, educational speaker, music industry consultant, and sonic therapist.
|Birth name||Darlene Koldenhoven|
|Born||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Occupation(s)||vocalist, pianist, songwriter, arranger, composer, lyricist; voice teacher, sonic therapist, author, actor|
Darlene has a Grammy Award and three Grammy Nominations as lead soprano in Clare Fischer's 2+2. She is known globally as the featured soprano soloist in the PBS television special and DVD, "Yanni, Live at the Acropolis", and in Grammy Winner Ricky Kej's "Shanti Samsara" concerts/videos in Bangalore , India for environmental consciousness, a cause she holds dear. Darlene has an MVP award from the Los Angeles Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (The GRAMMYS®) for "Best Studio Singer" for singing on thousand of recordings in movies, television, albums/CDs, commercials, video games, live shows and more. She has a Platinum album for her vocal work on Pink Floyd's " A Momentary Lapse of Reason." She has a Gold album from and is also known worldwide as the tambourine-waving choir nun in both "Sister Act" films with Whoopi Goldberg and off-camera as the production vocal coach, vocal contractor, and music director. Darlene has two Telley Awards for her song/video, "Love is an Action Word." Her albums have debuted or gone to #1 on the ZMR Radio Charts and have been voted by Broadcasters worldwide for Best Vocal Album 2007 "Infinite Voice," Best Holiday Album 2007 "Heavenly Peace," a Nomination for Best Vocal Album 2011 "Solitary Treasures," and a Nomination for Best Piano Album with Instrumentation 2014 "Tranquil Times." Darlene lives in Los Angeles with her singing rescue dog Poochini. Her hobbies are sewing/designing her own clothes/gowns and photography.In addition to her recording career, Darlene teaches voice and has a sonic therapy practice, helping people through the power of music.
- Color Me Home" (4/21/17) Debuted #1 in May 2017 on the ZMR Worldwide New Age/Ambient/World Radio Charts." 2017 Award wins & nominations: Winner Clouzine International Music Awards." Best New Age Album; Winner The Akademia Awards." Best Ambient/Instrumental Song "First Light." Gold Medals Global Music Awards." Best New Age Song "Until" and Best Soprano Soloist; Nomination Utah Music Awards." Best Single "Ode to Our Orb." Nominations Global Peace Song Awards" Best New Age Song "Ode to Our Orb" and Best World Song "Indian Summer. Nomination (winners TBA 11/2017) Hollywood Music in Media Awards" Best New Age/Ambient "Ode to Our Orb." Selected for Festival Performance Western New York Film, Art and Music Event Best International Song "Indian Summer." Color Me Home is the artist's first album of only her original music, lyrics, arrangements. The CD comes with a coloring book incorporating lyrics, album notes, and credits. Each track features guest soloists such as Grammy winners Tom Scott, Brent Fischer, Ricky Kej, Wouter Kellerman, Charlie Bisharat; Grammy nominees David Arkenstone and Rocky Dawuni; ZMR winners Jeff Oster, Al Jewer; First Chairs Gayle Levant, Mike Miller, John Sarantos, Lyn Bertles, Nick Vincent, Courtney Jacob, Vanil Veigas. Engineered and Mixed by Steve Shepherd. Mastered by Ricky Kej and Vanil Veigas. Darlene Koldenhoven also sang all the vocals, played keyboards, produced the album and was the artistic director. Aly Kay/Kay Creative realized the concept.
- Tranquil Times (9/6/13) Winner IMA 2013 Independent Music Awards Best New Age Album. #1 on ZMR Radio Charts 3/14. Nominated Best Piano Album with Instrumentation by Broadcasters Worldwide in the ZMR Awards 2/15/2015. Darlene's first album of piano-based relaxing instrumental, all original music. In addition to radio & streaming, it also plays on The C.A.R.E. Channel network in hospitals and hospices nationwide.
- Solitary Treasures (10/10/11) ZMR Music Awards Nomination Best Vocal Album 2012 by Broadcasters Worldwide. "Lucid See" Nominated Best New Age Song by The Independent Music Awards 2011; debuted #5 on ZMR Radio Charts. Classical Pop
- Inspired by a True Story (6/28/11) Inspirational Mixed Genre
- Angel on Ivories (2/11/11) Finalist: The American Prize 2012 Best Art Song Vocalist - Professional. Seventeen Classical Art Songs from 1546-1958 sung and played on piano by Darlene.
- Infinite Voice (2007) #1 on the ZMR Radio Charts in 2007 and #2 in the Top 100 Airplay 2007. Winner Best Vocal Album 2007 voted by Broadcasters Worldwide. Classical crossover.
- Heavenly Peace (2000, 2007) Debuted #2 on the New Age Radio Charts 2000. Winner Best Holiday Album 2007 voted by Broadcasters Worldwide
- Free to Serve (1996) Contemporary Gospel CCM; commissioned by the Christian Reformed Church of North America. Includes Musicians of Sierra Leone Darlene recorded and worked with in West Africa and choirs from the US and Canada.
- Keys to the World (1993) Darlene's first album of original music; positive pop adult contemporary.
Koldenhoven released a comprehensive music education book with seven instructional CDs called "Tune Your Voice: Singing and Your Mind's Musical Ear," distributed by Alfred Music and endorsed by faculty from The Juilliard School, NYU, Berklee College of Music, Clairemont High San Diego and many more. As a member of the Society of Composers and Lyricists, she has presented several seminars on the voice and composing for the voice. She has presented seminars for the Nebraska Music Educators Association, National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS), among other organizations. She tours in concert and with her workshops on the singing voice and on the power of music/sound in healing, focusing on the ear-brain-voice-body connection. Darlene is a certified NLP Practitioner an iLs-APP Practitioner/Provider.
She has served on the NARAS Board of Trustees for two terms, was a Los Angeles Chapter Second Vice President for one term, and Governor for six years, chairing several committees such as the Keyboard Symposiums and the Gospel Music Panel.
Koldenhoven has a professional children's choir known as The Young Vocal Artists of Los Angeles.