Dann Thomas (born Danette Maxx Couto January 30, 1952) is an American comic book writer and is the wife of comic book writer and editor Roy Thomas. She has at times collaborated with her husband on All-Star Squadron, Arak, Son of Thunder, the Crimson Avenger miniseries, and Avengers West Coast.
|Born||Danette Maxx Couto|
January 30, 1952
Arak, Son of Thunder
Avengers West Coast
Dann Thomas' earliest comic book credit appears on "The Sea of No Return" (credited as "Adapted from a story by Danette Couto") in Savage Sword of Conan #66 (July 1981). Her husband credits her with the original idea for Arak, Son of Thunder, noting, "Danette Couto (soon to be Dann Thomas) had this idea: What if a Native American had discovered Europe?" She began co-writing the Arak title with issue #12 (Aug. 1982) and would work with Thomas on most of his projects afterwards. Roy Thomas explained in 2011 that "Dann and I co-wrote Infinity from the beginning, coplotting it, with Dann usually, if not always, doing the first draft on the script, which I then rewrote. Not that she was openly credited as co-writer right away; I had to take it slow in that area." Dann Thomas co-wrote Wonder Woman #300 (Feb. 1983) and, as Roy Thomas noted in 1999 "became the first woman ever to receive scripting credit on the world's foremost super-heroine." A rare example of Dann Thomas' solo writing appeared in the Wally Wood's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents series published by Deluxe Comics. Roy Thomas' contractual obligations to DC Comics prevented him from working on the series but Dann Thomas was able to work on it.
- All-Star SquadronAll-Star Squadron is recognized as one of Thomas's most famous works. All-Star Squadron debuted in Justice League of America #193 in August 1981. This famous comic series was created by her husband, Roy Thomas, along with Rich Buckler and Jerry Ordway. Thomas has written issues #46, 51-55, 58-59, and Annual #3 (1984-1986). A character in the All-Star Squadron comics, Dannette Reily in Firebrand, is named after Dann Thomas herself as an homage to her from her husband.
- Arak, Son of ThunderThough this fictional comic book character and series was created by Roy Thomas and Ernie Colón, Dann Thomas is credited with coming up with the premise of the comic, Arak, Son of Thunder. Arak was first introduced by DC Comics and first appeared in a special insert of The Warlord #48 (August 1981), and Thomas wrote issues #12-50, and Annual #1 (1982-1985).
- Avengers West Coast
Avengers West Coast is a group of fictional superheroes published by Marvel Comics. Its first appearance was in Avengers West Coast #1 in September 1984, and it was created by Roger Stern and Bob Hall. Starting on issue #60, Dann Thomas and her husband were the writers for the comic while Paul Ryan became the artist. The three of them became the creative team until issue #71, where Ryan was replaced by Dave Ross. Afterwards, the three of them became the creative team, where Thomas wrote issues #60-63, 65-94-96, and Annual issues #5-7 (1990-1993).
Infinity, Inc. is a comic series published by DC Comics. Dubbed as the "analogue to the Teen Titans", it is a team of superheroes containing the children and heirs of the Justice Society of America. Thomas and her husband co-wrote the series from the very beginning, with Thomas herself credited as creating the first draft of the script each time. Dann Thomas wrote issues #1-53, the Annual issues #1-2, and the Special issue #1 (1984-1988).
Young All-Stars is a comic series published by DC Comics involving fictional superheroes. This comic series was created by Dann Thomas, her husband, Roy Thomas, and Michael Bair in June 1987. This series served as a follow-up to All-Star Squadron, one of the most famous comic series in which Thomas played an important part in, though it was not quite as popular as the original series (it was cancelled after 31 issues and one annual). Dann Thomas wrote issues #1-31, and Annual #1 (1987-1989).
The super-heroine Firebrand of the All-Star Squadron takes her civilian name, Danette Reilly, from Dann Thomas. Dann Thomas co-wrote later issues of All-Star Squadron, subsequent to the introduction of Firebrand. Another character based upon Dann Thomas is a woman named Danette who appeared in the story "What If Conan the Barbarian Walked the Earth Today?" published in What If? #13 (Feb. 1979).
Blue Comet PressEdit
- Crime Smasher Special Edition #1 (1987)
Dark Horse ComicsEdit
- Cormac Mac Art #1–4 (1990)
- Action Comics Weekly #623–626 (Shazam backup feature) (1988)
- All-Star Squadron #46, 51–55, 58–59, Annual #3 (1984–1986)
- America vs. the Justice Society #1–4 (1985)
- Arak, Son of Thunder #12–50, Annual #1 (1982–1985)
- Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew! #16 (1983)
- Crimson Avenger #1–4 (1988)
- Infinity, Inc. #1–53, Annual #1–2, Special #1 (1984–1988)
- Jonni Thunder a.k.a. Thunderbolt #1–4 (1985)
- Last Days of the Justice Society Special #1 (1986)
- The New Teen Titans vol. 2 #38 (1987)
- Secret Origins #5 (Crimson Avenger), #26 (Miss America) (1986–1988)
- Shazam!: The New Beginning #1–4 (1987)
- Wonder Woman #300 (1983)
- Young All-Stars #1–31, Annual #1 (1987–1989)
- Wally Wood's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #1–2, 4 (1984–1986)
- Alter Ego #1–4 (not to be confused with the magazine of the same name) (1986)
- The Avengers Annual #19–20 (1990–1991)
- Avengers Spotlight #37–39 (1990)
- Avengers West Coast #60–63, 65–94, 96, Annual #5–7 (1990–1993)
- Black Knight #1–4 (1990)
- Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #5–24, 26–40 (1989–1992)
- Eternals: The Herod Factor #1 (1991)
- Impossible Man Special #1 (1990)
- Iron Man Annual #11–12 (1990–1991)
- Marvel Super-Heroes vol. 2 #6–7 (1991)
- Nightmask #6–7, 10–12 (1987)
- Saga of the Sub-Mariner #1–12 (1988–1989)
- Savage Sword of Conan #66 (credited as "Danette Couto"), #190–195, 207–210, 225 (1981–1994)
- Spider-Woman #1–3 (1993–1994)
- Thor Annual #15 (1990)
- Within Our Reach #1 (1991)
- Cadillacs and Dinosaurs #9 (1994)
- Thomas, Roy (July 2005). "Roy Thomas Checklist". Alter Ego. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing. 3 (50): 23.
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Iola, Wisconsin. Archived from the original on October 30, 2010.
- Catron, Michael (August 1981). "Personal Notes". Amazing Heroes. Stamford, Connecticut: Fantagraphics Books (3): 23.
- Thomas, Roy (Summer 1999). "The Secret Origins of Infinity, Inc". Alter Ego. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing. 3 (1): 27.
- Savage Sword of Conan #66 (July 1981) at the Grand Comics Database
- Thomas, Roy (2011). Alter Ego: Centennial (PDF). Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing. p. 45. ISBN 978-1-60549-031-1.
- Manning, Matthew K.; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "1980s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 200. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9.
The Amazing Amazon was joined by a host of DC's greatest heroes to celebrate her 300th issue in a seventy-two-page blockbuster...Written by Roy and Dann Thomas, and penciled by Gene Colan, Ross Andru, Jan Duursema, Dick Giordano, Keith Pollard, Keith Giffen, and Rich Buckler.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Dallas, Keith (2013). "Chapter Five: 1984". American Comic Book Chronicles: The 1980s. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing. p. 121. ISBN 978-1605490465.
- Boyd, Jerry (February 2017). "Lightning Does Strike Twice! How the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents stormed back into comics in the 1980s". Back Issue!. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing (94): 63–65.
- Dann Thomas at the Grand Comics Database
- Evgeny., Khodakovsky, (2015). Historic Wooden Architecture in Europe and Russia. Birkhäuser. ISBN 3035605424. OCLC 935641284.
- DC Comics year by year : a visual chronicle. Cowsill, Alan. New York: DK Pub. 2010. ISBN 9780756667429. OCLC 505422656.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Thomas, Roy (January 2002). "Hail, Hail, Now the Gang's Really All Here!". Alter Ego. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing. 3 (12): 31.
- Christiansen, Jeff (January 3, 2004). "Danette". The Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Archived from the original on July 7, 2013.