Danielle Taylor (fighter)
Danielle Nicole Taylor (born October 25, 1989) is an American mixed martial artist. She was the Strawweight King of the Cage (KOTC) champion (2 times), competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's strawweight division and is currently competing for Invicta FC.
|Born||Danielle Nicole Taylor|
October 25, 1989
Lancaster, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 0 in (1.52 m)|
|Reach||60 in (152 cm)|
|Style||Wrestling, Jujutsu, Boxing|
|Fighting out of||Van Nuys, California |
|Team||Saekson Muay Thai|
|Trainer||Julio Trana (Striking Coach) |
George Garcia (Wrestling Coach)
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Taylor was born in Lancaster, California, United States on October 25, 1989, and she is a full-time Deputy Sheriff for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department at the North County Correctional Facility in Castaic, California.
Taylor started training in boxing, when she first got on with the Sheriff's Department in 2010, as she believed she needed to know some self-defense for her job. After struggling to find boxing matches to compete, she moved her focus to MMA, and she began to add wrestling and jiu-jitsu into her training. She was encouraged by her coach to try on MMA competitions and fell in love with the sport, where she fought a total of 5 amateur fights with record of 4 wins and 1 loss, paving the path to her MMA career 
She joined King of the Cage (KOTC) promotion for 2 years, from March 2014 to March 2016. She picked up all first five bouts and captured women's strawweight division championship from Glena Avila. However, she did not manage to defend her title against Jamie Colleen, but was able to reclaim the title by TKO from Colleen in the rematch in KOTC: Night of the Champion in 5 March 2016, and soon later she joined Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in 2016.
Despite her small stature, 5 feet 0 inches, she has above average power for the strawweight division. She has the ability to power in with a right hand knockout punch, where she would face fighters who have reach and height over her that can control her from outside and on the clinch.
Balancing work and trainingEdit
Being a full-time custody assistant at Wayside Jail for Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, she trains not only on her off days but also on her workdays. She puts on a 48-hour work week, where one of the day is considered a "County double - a 16 -hour shift", spreading over the course of 4 days in a week (4 on and 3 off). On her "County double - 16 hour workday', she would start her work from 6 am to 10 pm and goes for a 1–2 miles after work to get the blood flowing for not being in the gym that day. For the 8 hour work day, she would work on her conditioning exercise at Chain Fitness for an hour and then head out to Saekson Muay Thai for striking training under Julio Trana.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
She had five amateur fights in both strawweight and flyweight divisions, from May 2013 to January 2014, under KOTC and Tuff-Nuff promotions, with four wins against Lena Hellqvist, Chelsea Lewis, Rachael Smith and Samantha Hester, and one loss to Wendy Julian.
King of the CageEdit
Danielle made her professional career in Flyweight division (125 lb) on KOTC debut, facing Maia Kahaunaele-Stevenson at KOTC: Beaten Path main card, in California, securing a unanimous decision win in 3 round bout.
On 12 February 2015, Taylor was granted a Strawweight Championship fight facing Glena Avila, and stole a split decision win with Herb Dean as the referee on KOTC: Short Fuse and crowned the- KOTC Strawweight champion.
Danielle Jamie lost her first title defense five months later to Colleen, where she was knocked out on August 29, 2017, at KOTC Bitter Rivals in California on round 4.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Taylor made her promotional UFC debut in on August 6, 2016, with 9 days notice at Salt Lake City, US, on UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres She stepped in for the injured Justine Kish, facing 8th-ranked Maryna Moroz. She suffered a split-decision loss.
In her second bout with UFC she gained a win over South Korea fighter Seo Hee Ham (16-8MMA, 1-3 UFC), at UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson on 26 November 2016 at Melbourne, Australia, with a split-decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27).
On UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov at Nashville, United States Dannielle faced Jessica Penne ( 12-5 MMA, 1-3 UFC) on the preliminary card on 22 April 2017. She secured a win with unanimous decision, outpointing with scores of 29-28 across the board from the judges, where John McCarthy was the referee of the bout.
On August 30, Taylor was released from UFC.
After the release from the UFC, Taylor signed with Invicta FC. She made her promotional debut against Montserrat Ruiz at Invicta FC 33 on December 15, 2018. She won the fight via unanimous decision.
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial artsEdit
- King of the Cage (KOTC)
- KOTC Strawweight Champion (2 times)
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||11 wins||4 losses|
|Win||11–4||Jessica Aguilar||Decision (split)||XFC 43||November 11, 2020||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||10–4||Montserrat Ruiz||Decision (unanimous)||Invicta FC 33: Frey vs. Grusander II||December 15, 2018||3||5:00||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Loss||9–4||Zhang Weili||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 227||August 4, 2018||3||5:00||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||9–3||JJ Aldrich||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Stephens vs. Choi||January 14, 2018||3||5:00||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Win||9–2||Jessica Penne||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov||April 22, 2017||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||8–2||Seo Hee Ham||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||November 26, 2016||3||5:00||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||7–2||Maryna Moroz||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres||August 6, 2016||3||5:00||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||7–1||Jamie Colleen||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Night of Champions||March 5, 2016||5||2:15||Ontario, California, United States||Won the KOTC Strawweight Championship.|
|Win||6–1||Calie Cutler||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Sinister Intentions||October 17, 2015||1||1:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Jamie Colleen||KO (punch)||KOTC: Bitter Rivals||August 29, 2015||4||1:47||Ontario, California, United States||Lost the KOTC Strawweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Glena Avila||Decision (split)||KOTC: Short Fuse||February 12, 2015||5||5:00||Worley, Idaho, United States||Won the KOTC Strawweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Maria Andaverde||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Battle For The Belt||October 2, 2014||3||5:00||Highland, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Nikki Lowe||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Point of Impact||August 7, 2014||1||4:22||Highland, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jillian Lybarger||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Alliance||May 26, 2014||3||1:26||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States||Strawweight debut.|
|Win||1–0||Maia Kahaunaele-Stevenson||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Beaten Path||March 6, 2014||3||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Flyweight debut.|
Mixed martial arts exhibition recordEdit
|Loss||10–4||Juliana Lima||Decision (split)||Invicta Phoenix Series 1||May 3, 2019||1||5:00||Kansas City, Kansas, United States||Invicta FC Strawweight Tournament Quarterfinal|
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: October 17, 2015
- "Danielle Taylor". UFC. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Sherdog.com. "Danielle". Sherdog. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "UFC strawweight Danielle Taylor's duty as corrections officer led to MMA". FanSided. 2017-04-10. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Danielle Taylor ("Dynamite") | MMA Fighter Page | Tapology". Tapology. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Primetown, Jay. "UFC Fight Night 92 Newcomer Breakdown: Danielle Taylor". mmaoddsbreaker.com. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (2017-05-07), UFC 211 Countdown: Stipe Miocic vs Junior Dos Santos, retrieved 2017-05-11
- Latest, MMA (2016-08-05). "Odds Stacked Against Danielle Taylor Adding to List of Late Replacement Winners in 2016 - MMA Latest". MMA Latest. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- "Danielle Taylor on UFC Fight Night 101 controversy: 'I know I didn't poke her eye'". MMAjunkie. 2016-11-27. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- "Danielle Taylor meets J.J. Aldrich at UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis". MMAjunkie. 2017-11-26. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "UFC Fight Night 124 results: J.J. Aldrich outstrikes Danielle Taylor for decision win". MMAjunkie. 2018-01-15. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Here are 4 new bouts added to UFC 227 at Staples Center". Press Enterprise. 2018-05-08. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "UFC 227 results: Weili Zhang wins 17th straight, outpoints gritty Danielle Taylor". MMAjunkie. 2018-08-04. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- "Comprehensive list of current UFC fighters". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Bryan Tucker (December 15, 2018). "Invicta FC 33 Results: Frey vs. Grusander 2". mmafighting.com.
- Dave Doyle (May 3, 2019). "'Invicta FC: Phoenix Rising Series 1' results: Brianna Van Buren defeats three foes, wins strawweight title". MMAjunkie.com.
- Michael DeSantis (November 2, 2020). "Andre Soukhamthath On XFC Debut: 'It's Gonna be Bloody'". mmasucka.com.