"Dance (Ass)", often stylized "Dance (A$$)", is a song by American rapper Big Sean, released as the third single from his debut studio album, Finally Famous (2011). It was added to urban radio formats on September 20, 2011 as the album's third official single. The official remix of the song features Nicki Minaj.
|Single by Big Sean featuring Nicki Minaj|
|from the album Finally Famous|
|Released||September 20, 2011radio) (|
October 18, 2011
|Length||3:17 (album version)|
|Big Sean singles chronology|
|Nicki Minaj singles chronology|
The song received generally positive reviews from music critics. The Boston Globe commented on the track by saying it is "stale stripper anthem out of synch with what surrounds it. The production is heavy on vocal hooks, synths, and chattering beats, but the focus is Sean’s wit and insistent flow." The New York Times complimented the song's use of MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" and further went on to say that the song "basically cribs its chorus (uncredited) from the oeuvre of DJ Assault, the Detroit ghettotech innovator. Nowhere does Big Sean sound more confident or hilarious." The A.V. Club gave a positive review of the track and called it freewheeling, fast-footed, and full of swagger. The Village Voice complimented Sean's performance on the track and said "he took his microphone and turned it into an extension of his phallus, waving it down there like a gleeful toddler as the track imbued new meaning to MC Hammer's signature phrase 'Hammer Time', released in 1990 to the artist Hammer Time."
Ology commented on the song by calling it a positive minority in the album and complimented the "flow-flip" and "low bass tones" in the song. HipHopDX commented on the song and said that it "narrowly escapes formulaic territory by injecting enough personality, comedy and verbal gymnastics to ably complement Da Internz' pounding, dance-ready bassline." Complex did not favor the track and called it repetitive and minimalist compared to most of the other tracks on the album.
|United States (RIAA)||4× Platinum||4,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Radio and release historyEdit
|United States||September 20, 2011||Urban contemporary||G.O.O.D. Music, Def Jam||Album version|
|October 18, 2011||Remix version featuring Nicki Minaj|
|October 24, 2011||Digital download|
|October 25, 2011||Rhythmic radio||Album version|
|January 10, 2012||Top 40/Mainstream radio|
- Listen: Nicki Minaj remixes Big Sean's 'Dance (A$$)' : Nicki Minaj Archived 2011-11-19 at the Wayback Machine. Mypinkfriday.com (2012-01-20). Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- "Big Sean "Finally Famous". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "New Music". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Finally Famous". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Big Sean Heads Into the Spotlight". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Album Review: 'Finally Famous: The Album' by Big Sean". Ology. Archived from the original on 2011-09-03. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Finally Famous: The Album". HipHopDX. Archived from the original on 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Album Preview: Big Sean "Finally Famous: The Album"". Complex. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Big Sean – Dance (A$$) Remix ft. Nicki Minaj since then it has received over 42 million views. YouTube (2011-11-01). Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Dance Mix/Show Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Big Sean Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "R&B/Hip-Hop Songs - 2012 Year End Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Rap Songs - 2012 Year End Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Rhythmic Songs – Year-End 2012". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "American single certifications – Big Sean – Dance (A$$)". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Mediabase Urban Adds". Mediabase. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- October 18, 2011. webcitation.org
- iTunes – Music – Dance (A*$) [Remix] (feat. Nicki Minaj) – Single by Big Sean. Itunes.apple.com (2011-10-24). Retrieved on 2012-02-06.
- October 25, 2011. webcitation.org
- Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more! Archived 2013-06-29 at WebCite. FMQB. Retrieved on 2012-02-06.