A common type of dad joke goes as follows: A child will say to the father, "I'm hungry," to which the father will reply, "Hi, Hungry, I'm Dad."
While the exact origin of the term dad joke is unknown, a writer for the Gettysburg Times wrote an impassioned defence of the genre in June 1987 under the headline "Don't ban the 'Dad' jokes; preserve and revere them". The term "dad jokes" received mentions in the American sitcom How I Met Your Mother in 2008 and the Australian quiz show Spicks and Specks in 2009. In September 2019, Merriam-Webster added the phrase "dad joke" to the dictionary.
- Q: What do you call a dad joke that falls on its head? A: A dud pun.
- Q: On Thanksgiving, why did the turkey cross the table? A: To get to the other sides.
- A ham sandwich walks into a bar and the bartender says...Sorry we don't serve food here.
- Q: What do you call a mermaid on a roof? A: Aerial.
- Q: What does a highlighter say when it answers the phone? A: Yello!!
- I am wrapping Christmas presents. Let’s put on some rap music.
- Q: What's Irish and comes out in the spring? A: Paddy O'Furniture.
- Q: What's orange and sounds like a parrot? A: A carrot.
- Q: What's the opposite of water? A: Yellow snow.
- Q: Where does a sick fish go? A: The doc.
- Q: What do a tick and the Eiffel Tower have in common? A: They're both Paris sites.
- Q What's the difference between a pun and a Dad joke? It will become apparent.
- Q What did the fish say when he swam into the wall? Dam!
- They've tried to improve the efficiency of wind farms by playing country music around them, but it's not working because they're really just big heavy metal fans.
- I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but I turned myself around.
- Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.
- My uncle just got fired from his job at the cheese factory. He kept getting in the whey.
- Granddad always told me that things could be worse -- I could fall into a deep hole full of water, but I knew he meant well.
- Q: Whose concert costs only 45 cents? 50 Cent featuring Nickelback
- Does your face hurt? Because it's killing me.
- Luu, Chi (12 June 2019). "The Dubious Art of the Dad Joke". JSTOR Daily. New York City: ITHAKA. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
Dad jokes are a kind of anti-joke, different from other ways of joking in their performance, even formulaic jokes. Like self-deprecatingly joking about a personal flaw before your bullies do, dad jokes seem to court failure, presenting themselves as deliberately bad, deliberately uncool, deliberately anti-humor.
- Fetters, Ashley (September 25, 2018). "The Dad-Joke Doctrine". The Atlantic. Retrieved December 6, 2020.
- "Don't ban the "Dad" jokes; preserve and revere them". Gettysburg Times. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania: Sample News Group. June 20, 1987. p. 5. Retrieved February 9, 2019 – via NewspaperArchive.
- Fryman, Pamela (November 10, 2008). "Not a Father's Day". How I Met Your Mother. Season 4. Episode 7. CBS. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- zombieshoes76 (August 30, 2009). "Spicks & Specks- Dad Jokes". Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- "We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019". Springfield, Massachusetts: Merriam-Webster. 17 September 2019. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- Ulbrich, Carla (12 February 2021). "Carla Ulbrich Friday Fun Livestream". Retrieved 17 February 2021. This video has dad jokes submitted by the audience, such as the Paddy O'Furniture joke.